Why Is 220 Electric Now 240?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why change the name of the number? Hubby said it is 2 110's and same thing. I just wondered why.

Just about every electrical item has tolerances.
A 12 volt battery that reads 12 volts, is just about a dead battery. A 12 volt battery that is in good condition, reads closer to or above 13 volts, even though it's referred to as a 12 volt battery.
A 110 appliance will generally run well at 110 or 120,but will probably destruct at 220.

Most everything that operates on the higher voltages 220vac-240vac is rated to operate in that range .
Depending on the item...it can even be rated +- 10% of that,

Depending on where you are on the grid (close to source or far from source)...your voltage may be as much as 250vac , or as low as 210 vac.

It's referred to as 220 vac , 230vac . or 240vac, just terminology.
and your low voltage will be 110vac , 115vac 0r 120vac.

Now that's just phidology...take it as such.:lil guy:

Jim

Well thanks for making it more confusing.:Thankyou: :huh:. I did learn about volts from yall at the other place but forgot most of it.:confused:

Meerkat --- Think of electricity like a garden hose. The flow of the water is the volts. Amps / current is the pressure of the flow and resistance (ohms) is the amount of work required to allow the pressure to flow the electricity at a certain rate. Example: A one inch hose can flow at 20 gallons per minute with 25 pounds of pressure. A 1/2 inch hose would need 50 pounds of pressure to maintain the same flow rate due to the resistance of the smaller diameter hose. Simplified electric 101. Volts = electrical flow rate, Amps / current = pressure applied to low rate, Ohms = Resistance to the flow rate.

Meerkat --- Think of electricity like a garden hose. The flow of the water is the volts. Amps / current is the pressure of the flow and resistance (ohms) is the amount of work required to allow the pressure to flow the electricity at a certain rate. Example: A one inch hose can flow at 20 gallons per minute with 25 pounds of pressure. A 1/2 inch hose would need 50 pounds of pressure to maintain the same flow rate due to the resistance of the smaller diameter hose. Simplified electric 101. Volts = electrical flow rate, Amps / current = pressure applied to low rate, Ohms = Resistance to the flow rate.

Thanks TMC. I think it said we will have to hard wire the heater for GH. I think it is 7500W. :Thankyou::thumbs up:

Thanks TMC. I think it said we will have to hard wire the heater for GH. I think it is 7500W. :Thankyou::thumbs up:

Here is where we need our resident Sparky's to jump in. I am guessing (really guessing) you are going to need a minimum of 220 /240 volts and at least a 20 amp (more like 30 amp) circuit installed and hardwired to your Green House. Get a professional's opinion and estimate.

OK Here I am.
Standard voltages provided by your utility are 120/240.
Due to voltage drops in the system and other engineering issues throughout your local grid you will see single phase voltage between 110 and 120 which translates to 220-240 for 2 pole circuits. Below 110 and above 125 at your receptacle is not a good thing.
Appliances are thus rated 220-240 to accommodate this variance.
Some apartment buildings will have a 3 phase system that supplies you with 120/208 volts. In this case you need to buy 208 volt appliances. If you connect a 220/240 appliance to a 208 volt system your oven and water heater do not get as hot as you need them to be.
Clear as mud!

7500 watts/240 volts = 31.25amps 7500watts/230 volts = 32.6 amps
circuit size should be 125% of this = approx 40 amps.
You need a #8AWG wire and a 40 amp breaker minimum.
Too big for a cord and plug, but you could (never seen it).
Hard wire it!

7500 watts/240 volts = 31.25amps 7500watts/230 volts = 32.6 amps
circuit size should be 125% of this = approx 40 amps.
You need a #8AWG wire and a 40 amp breaker minimum.
Too big for a cord and plug, but you could (never seen it).
Hard wire it!

Thanks for help. Hubby said same thing, he has wired almost everything here but second opinions is always a good thing when starting new project. Plus he deals with sometimes severe pain and that will affect your thinking .

Masterspark ,

How can we use a plug on a hardwire?
We will be using this 'garage' heater in Greenhouse since we couldn't afford teh GH heater. Problem is we open up GH all summer months. And we don't want the moisture to mess it up. It won't hurt it in winter because we keep close watch on humidity but summer we don't go near GH.

Can we just wire a 240 plug to it heater then use plug on 8AWG wire?

Masterspark ,

How can we use a plug on a hardwire?
We will be using this 'garage' heater in Greenhouse since we couldn't afford teh GH heater. Problem is we open up GH all summer months. And we don't want the moisture to mess it up. It won't hurt it in winter because we keep close watch on humidity but summer we don't go near GH.

Can we just wire a 240 plug to it heater then use plug on 8AWG wire?

Use a 4 wire range receptacle and cord. It is rated 60 amps but just use a 40 amp breaker. Generally the cords are only 4' long so plan accordingly. Can be purchased at most home centers (big Orange and big Blue). Pretty much looks like this. (receptacle is slightly different (30amp shown) plug is correct.)
range rec.jpg
cord.jpg

I believe they want to remove it during the humid summer months.
Meercat, I hope you meant 8 gage wire instead of 8.2 amps.

I believe they want to remove it during the humid summer months.
Meercat, I hope you meant 8 gage wire instead of 8.2 amps.

:oops:, yea I did . It is FINALLY done and running. We got the wrong type 40A breaker, so had to go back to store today to get the one that fits. Hubby had it wired in no time since we already dug the ditch pulled wire thru conduit and pushed pipe thru under the house.

Seems like it will work, it heats up GH to 80 in just a few minutes. Comes back on at 60.
We are learning about it.

I have to go now help him " temporarily " drape the second layer over for tonight. We will fix it later.

This morning it was 40F in there so guess we lost soem more blooms and tomatoes. Would have saved it if breaker was the right one. But thank goodness we are not hurt or fried, so far.

It is a big surge now and then we will see when first bill comes in. But I don't think it will be as bad as that little space heater running all night and still not heating it enough. $21,00 worth of propane went out last night and temp went down to 40F. It really cost not to plan ahead and do it before the weather gets cold.

You really need software to figure how much heat loss you have through the plastic. That's the only way you can size your heating equipment, and figure solar gain during the day. Do you have thermal mass in the GH? Like full black water barrels or dark stone floor?

You really need software to figure how much heat loss you have through the plastic. That's the only way you can size your heating equipment, and figure solar gain during the day. Do you have thermal mass in the GH? Like full black water barrels or dark stone floor?

The sun has been in hiding most of this month. But yes when it is out the heater won't even come in til late afternoon.
And if a predicted mini ice storm hits tonight I hope no trees knock out power. Not here on property because it is buried from the street to the house '$4000 bucks worth of buried but they did a great job and well worth their pay' but the tree canopy's on the almost 3 mile dirt road. Que sera sera. whatever will be will be.

Best wishes. You might consider a propane or gasoline powered generator to supply your electrickery if the incoming power lines go down.

Latest posts

Back