Why You Should Bug Out To A Rural Area

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.

And yes, if you want to be accepted in your new community you had better both be friendly and you also better have something to offer. I would be far more willing to take in a Dentist or an Engineer or a season Farmer than some financial analyst who needed me but didn't offer much of anything in return. Ammo is always a nice way to say Hello.

Okay back on track.
When bugging out on foot to a rural area consider using a rail line.
4-13- 005.JPG

Be self supporting and expect the same from your nieghbors.
A hand up not a hand out. Otherwise you'll soon be slave to those you help.
Id they come unprepared that is how they will stay.
Peopel don't become independent over night.

My brother in law lives about 30 minutes away from a camp ground in a deeply wooded area that is owned by his uncle. It's well off the beaten path, has one house, several cabins and several spots for campers, there is a convenience store there with gravity gas tanks, they have both a small river running by it and a couple wells, they have and on and off-grid power system, and of course lots of wood. He has told me before if he has to bug out, that's where he is going. It's not a rural community but it could become one quickly.

but a neighborhood group, and like minded individuals are known to each other.

I fear the "Like Minded" part would vanish quickly. Likely the very first split second someone starts telling others what to do. We don't really know others, society is just actors pretending to be a functioning part of a social system they don't really like or even understand. The great mass of humans are just barely able to keep their act together........in these "Easy Times".

Last edited:
The problem with bugging out to a rural are is that you have to be part of the community before things get bad.
Those small communities will have resources for their own population for a limited period of time. They won't take new people in to support at the cost of their neighbors and friends.
Any farmers or ranchers in the area will be well defended so food is available for the community.
Even small rural communities have cliches and "favored folks" and getting in after a bad event is going to be real hard unless you can provide something they need. The last thing they need is more people.

The problem with bugging out to a rural are is that you have to be part of the community before things get bad.
Those small communities will have resources for their own population for a limited period of time. They won't take new people in to support at the cost of their neighbors and friends.
Any farmers or ranchers in the area will be well defended so food is available for the community.
Even small rural communities have cliches and "favored folks" and getting in after a bad event is going to be real hard unless you can provide something they need. The last thing they need is more people.
Tribal affiliations may be a mitigating factor. Perhaps depending on the tribe's standing in the community.

I left a city 20 years ago, I moved to a medium sized rural town, 10 years ago I left there and now reside on the edge of a low population low crime rural town where everyone knows who you are, where you live and probably where you work, strangers stand out a mile.
if you want to bug out to a rural area you have to do it long long before any SHTF happens.

Just a perception here...

As time goes by, I'm seeing those living in rural areas becoming more and more unfriendly to outsiders...

In shtf circumstance, that may become extreme.

Jim
Rural western North Dakota has already come to this, because of all the outsiders who came to work in the oil fields. Locals, who have lived there a generation or two or three, don't go out much on the weekends.

The DW and I moved out and up into the Mountains, There is a noticeable difference in the attitude when you visit the town and very soon the shop and store owners will find out if you are a weekender out of Towner. The attitude has a quick shift to much friendlier when they hear that you live "up there".

The folks in the area of our cabin still call me a "coasty" but my brother who lives at the cabin is finally considered a resident. It took a long time because he is not a member of the church.
They are Calvinists and believe they are the chosen few that live in "grace". If they actually lived in grace and knew the love of God it would be appealing but they live in grace only on Sunday and the rest of the time is spent gossiping about who sinned and whether they are really a person who should be allowed in church. We turned out for the work parties, helping neighbors with projects and were welcomed to do that but people were never willing to flip the coin. It was nearly a disaster for us.

Okay back on track.
When bugging out on foot to a rural area consider using a rail line.
View attachment 26190
Generally the people we see using the rail past our place are those that don't want to be seen on the road, possibly because they'll be recognized as criminals.

When you walk the rails you are pretty certain that the engineer is not texting and is not going to swerve off the tracks to run you over!

don't walk ON the tracks walk BESIDE them, the problem lies in any stations along the way as that is where bad people will lie in wait.
this isn't possible where I live as the tracks were removed in the 1960s(Dr. Beeching) now the only rail line into the South West of England runs along the south coast and I am not.

Latest posts

Back