• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Wife Of Child Rapist Sues Church For Reporting Confession

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/wife-of-child-rapist-sues-church-for-9-5m-for-reporting-confession-LvskuyUiqESBMLeR-eamEQ

Wife Of Child Rapist Sues Church For $9.5M For Reporting Confession

byHolly Matkin30 mins
Timothy Johnson was sentenced to 15 years in prison for sexually abusing his daughter over a four-year period.

Salem, OR – The wife of a convicted child rapist is seeking a $9.5 million payday from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for failing to warn her husband that his confession would be reported to police.

In the lawsuit, which was recently filed in Marion County Circuit Court, Kristine Johnson alleged that the church of violated its own confidentiality policy by reporting to police that her husband, 47-year-old Timothy Johnson, had confessed that he sexually abused their daughter, The Oregonian reported.

Kristine said that in 2016, she learned that her husband molested one of their five children for a period of four years during her pre-teen and early teenage years.

"In response to that, plaintiff Kristine Johnson and Timothy Johnson followed the rules and scriptures of the church, which…requires and admonish church members to 'confess their sins unto the brethren before the Lord,'" the lawsuit read, according to CNN.

Timothy subsequently told a panel of church members about his offenses in an attempt to “repent for his sins” and to “bring peace within his life and family,” the lawsuit read, according to The Oregonian.

Details of his confession were turned over to police, which resulted in Timothy being arrested in 2017.

The following year, he was convicted of four counts of second-degree sexual abuse, and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

In her lawsuit, Kristine declared that the church should have warned Timothy that his confession would not remain confidential, CNN reported.

She is seeking $9.5 million for her family’s loss of Timothy’s “companionship, society, love [and] affection,” emotional distress, and loss of income, as well as another $40,000 to pay for his defense attorney fees, according to The Oregonian.

Members of the clergy are mandated to report cases of alleged or suspected child abuse or neglect under Oregon law, but the law allows for some exceptions regarding clergy members who learn about abuse during “privileged” communications.

The church member who reported the abuse is also pharmacist, which is another mandatory reporting profession, The Oregonian reported.

The church stood by its actions, and said that “protecting victims and ensuring proper reporting” are among its top priorities.

“The Church teaches that leaders and members should fulfill all legal obligations to report abuse to civil authorities,” church spokesman Eric Hawkins told The Oregonian in a statement. "In some circumstances, those obligations may be governed by their professional duty and in others by their role as clergy. The Church has a 24-hour abuse help line to help leaders understand and meet both their professional and ecclesiastical obligations to report abuse.”

“We are grateful for the efforts of law enforcement and prosecutors to investigate and pursue justice for those who were abused,” Hawkins added.

Bill Brandt, the attorney representing Kristine and her other four children, said that the church is guilty of breaking a “promise,” and that they had an obligation to warn Timothy that his confession would be reported to police, The Oregonian reported.

“It’s been devastating on the family,” Brandt told the Salem Statesman Journal. “They lost a husband and a father.”

Sewingcreations15

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The church and clergyman did the right thing in reporting the abuse as that is our policy in the church to inform relevant law enforcement agencies of any unlawful activity. It is also on our church noticeboard in writing at our chapel.

Sadly the wife could have a strong chance to win the case due to a loophole that it is that clergy can choose to have exceptions to reporting by law in that state. Part of our church teachings are we are to obey the law of the land too so this could be a tricky catch 22 situation.

As a leader then to cover yourself in the church in any private/privileged conversations at the beginning of the conversation you need to say if this communication is regarding any illegal activity I am required by law/profession and church policy to report it.

@VThillman repenting may not guarantee the perpetrator a free ride at all as he will have to be judged by God for what he did in the end so that will be God's decision and not ours.

Last edited:

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
um, the first obligation was the man's... to provide a safe home for his children. He did the first violation, which means he lost any right to confidentiality or privacy. He violated a young girl. That he confessed it to clergy...clergy is mandated, as said above, to report abuse. End of story.

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
wouldn't she be relieved to be rid of the scum? Ugh. To be sleeping in the same bed, washing his laundry, and he has violated her daughter? It's not the church's responsibility to provide her with a suitable mate. It's not the church's fault he was arrested.
dead horse I can't see how she would win this.

Sewingcreations15

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@Amish Heart that is something else I couldn't get over that she was suing for lack of companionship. Any mother in their right mind wouldn't want the scumbag anywhere near them or especially the children. Sounds as though she is suing for the lifestyle she would like to become accustomed to more to the point.

I don't see she would win this case either personally but you never know what a jury will do or think .

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have known of more than one girl who was in trouble for telling on the adult man in her family sexually abusing her. One woman said her mother slapped her across the face, hard. Coming from a family with narcissism, I belong to groups for victims of narcissism abuse. Pedophiles are narcissists (narcs). In many of the stories I have read about, the mothers knew. In many instances, the mother chose the abuser over the daughter and did nothing to protect the daughter, after being told by the daughter. They know.

A man I taught with was arrested for abusing a young woman. I knew that someone had told the principal in our school that he was abusing girls. Principal did nothing. When he was arrested, she cried and cried and said she had no idea. Bull!

With how much the Catholic church has been in the news in the last couple of decades about protecting the abusers, I am waiting for the pendulum to swing the other way, for abusers to really get what they deserve. It will never happen. Abusers protect other abusers. They are in a pedophile priest club together. Now I fell down the rabbit hole about the abuse of power by lies and manipulation in the Catholic church. There is so much more I could say, but want this to get back on track.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I agree with everybody here. The church did the right thing. I don't know that telling " a panel of church members " would constitute the same privilege as telling a priest in a confessional or telling your lawyer. Apparently the law says they are required to report cases of child abuse.

Oregon is an uber liberal state. Nothing would surprise me.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
@VThillman repenting may not guarantee the perpetrator a free ride at all as he will have to be judged by God for what he did in the end so that will be God's decision and not ours.
That depends on "who you talk to" on the subject. And the nature of the "free" ride. I have noticed some inconsistency on the subject.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If anybody is interested this is a good article on how the Catholic Church views the sanctity of the confessional.

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/seal-of-confession-and-child-abuse.html
I clicked on it, it opened, it is still open in a tab. As soon as I went to read the story, I wondered if I really want to have my blood pressure go way up this early in the morning. Or ever. A priest who is now identified as a pedo in South Dakota served at a church where my uncle and his large family attended, literally a couple blocks from their home. All 5 boys were altar boys and altar boys were prime targets for priests. The youngest, when seeing that the priest was identified, said he was not a nice man. I have no idea what happened, but cousin said he slammed him against a cabinet. Cousin is no longer a Catholic.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I clicked on it, it opened, it is still open in a tab. As soon as I went to read the story, I wondered if I really want to have my blood pressure go way up this early in the morning. Or ever. A priest who is now identified as a pedo in South Dakota served at a church where my uncle and his large family attended, literally a couple blocks from their home. All 5 boys were altar boys and altar boys were prime targets for priests. The youngest, when seeing that the priest was identified, said he was not a nice man. I have no idea what happened, but cousin said he slammed him against a cabinet. Cousin is no longer a Catholic.
I am not condoning this by any stretch of the imagination. There are rotten eggs in every organization, and the Catholic Church seems to have more than their fair share. The Catholic Church also seems to be more proactive in protecting the offenders, and attacking the victims. There is much evidence that this is the reason Pope Benedict XVI resigned. He couldn't deal with it.

Be that as it may the courts, by precedent, have recognized the sanctity of the confessional. I don't know if it carries over to other religions. I would be very much interested in the outcome.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
Be that as it may the courts, by precedent, have recognized the sanctity of the confessional. I don't know if it carries over to other religions. I would be very much interested in the outcome.
Precedent is an enemy of rational thinking.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am not condoning this by any stretch of the imagination. There are rotten eggs in every organization, and the Catholic Church seems to have more than their fair share. The Catholic Church also seems to be more proactive in protecting the offenders, and attacking the victims. There is much evidence that this is the reason Pope Benedict XVI resigned. He couldn't deal with it.

Having been a Catholic for the first 22 years of my life, I have long thought that it does not represent the truth of Christianity. The power trip of the structure and organization of the church has long taken advantage of its members. Why has the bible not been a foundation of the church? Why were they replaced with hymnals? Hymnals contain selected biblical verses, but not the complete bible. Many things were set up to get another financial payment from the poor, in order for them to be able to be baptized, married, and even buried. All over Europe, for centuries, the wealthiest person in any village was the local priest. Meanwhile, children might have died from starvation, and then the parents had to find something to pay the priest for a burial ritual.

Less than a decade ago, I found out that my ancestors on my mother's side, were followers of Jan Hus, a Catholic priest who was burned at the stake for pointing out 14 tenets that were missing in the Catholic church, as written in the bible. Communion is the body and blood, and yet, the peasants only got bread. However, the priest always got wine. My gg grandparents have the outline of a shield and a chalice on their headstones, a symbol of being followers of his teachings.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I belong to a non-denominational Christian church. We have no membership, we have no hymnals, we have no pomp & circumstance, we have no robes or candles, we have no classes one has to take to join, we have no class one has to take to partake in communion, we have no church calendar we have to follow, we have no human who is revered over another, etc. We have the Word of God and the Word of God only. Nowhere in the Word does it say we are supposed to protect rapists or pedophiles. In fact in Psalms 82:3 it says Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the rights of the oppressed.

Sewingcreations15

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Very true @VThillman it does depend who the perpetrator speaks and confesses/repents to as to his/her earthly punishment but as far as the end punishment it is in God's hands and not man's in my opinion.

I personally don't think that any church should not have to report illegal activity or abuse and it should be mandatory to do so to protect the innocent/vulnerable.

Latest posts

Group Builder