Wild Animal Threats To Humans and Crops

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Fugure we all have to dealwith critters in our preppeing and surviving .

1590510684737.png

I'm thankful I don't live in an area of venomous snakes. We do have many others and for the most part, I leave them alone. The Northern Banded Water Snake (bottom right of your picture) aren't venomous but can get pretty nasty. They'd rather snap at you as opposed to slither away. If I find one that's overly aggressive, I introduce it to my friend... a 410 shotgun.

I'm thankful I don't live in an area of venomous snakes. We do have many others and for the most part, I leave them alone. The Northern Banded Water Snake (bottom right of your picture) aren't venomous but can get pretty nasty. They'd rather snap at you as opposed to slither away. If I find one that's overly aggressive, I introduce it to my friend... a 410 shotgun.

Zoom I'm no fan of any snakes but they do have their place in our enironment,they kill rats and keep down population of other rodents and pest.Even the poisonous ones which we do kill if it insist on hanging around. Now the invasive ones from foreign places have no natural preditors so they do need ot be eliminated,like pytons nutso's buy from pet shops that should be illegal to sell have all but eliminated S.Floridas natural wildlife habitats.

The biggest difference that they don't mention that immediately alerts me, (beside the triangle shaped head):
Poisonous snakes are fat and short. (except the rare coral snake).
Think: is it a "lizard with no legs" or a "garden-hose".
After you see enough, it becomes obvious.
BTW, I reserve the right to shoot any, and every, adult venomous snake I see.
machine-gun.gif

They can go live somewhere else.

I try to stay out of the snakes way, we both have a job to do. My Father taught us to look where we will step as well as were we are stepping.
Same with stinging insects & poionous plants.
Good chart, thanks.

The biggest difference that they don't mention that immediately alerts me, (beside the triangle shaped head):
Poisonous snakes are fat and short. (except the rare coral snake).
Think: is it a "lizard with no legs" or a "garden-hose".
After you see enough, it becomes obvious.
BTW, I reserve the right to shoot any, and every, adult venomous snake I see.View attachment 43161
They can go live somewhere else.
Typically fat yes. But I have saw rattle snakes around here over 6' long. Copperheads usually 4' or less. The dead giveaway to me is seeing a neck behind the head. If the size is reduced its poisionus.

Latest posts

Back