Wild animals in your neck of the woods

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchs

Just a guy loving life
Neighbor
I really love all aspects of the outdoors. I do hunt but I also have a great respect for all the workings of nature and all the animals it takes to make up the Kingdom of animals. i have a special place on my property i will sometimes us a corn feeder and get pictures of what's in the vicinity. Here is a taste of what is in Florida. Maybe you all have some you can share?
FB_IMG_1512833885384.jpg
FB_IMG_1512834036371.jpg
FB_IMG_1512834454085 (1).jpg
MFDC8831 (1).JPG
file-1 (1).jpeg
FB_IMG_1512833638521.jpg
FB_IMG_1512833312389 (1).jpg
FB_IMG_1512833267672 (1).jpg
FB_IMG_1512833130123.jpg
20171125_165844 (1).jpg

Absolutely enormous Hawk. We have some different variety here that get 2-3 times size of normal already large hawks
So I was told by My neighbor. I've seen it in the trees and it is huge but I don't have a close up to positively identify. I've looked up Florida Hawks and can't seem to find any that large so now I am suspect. It's still around. I'll try and get a picture that's more identifiable one day. Hell it could just be one of our huge Owls......

Mine is the usual urban assortment, Squirrels, Raccoons, Opossums, some tiny little lizards, neighborhood cats, birds, frogs.
Same here.
Coons, skunks, squirrels, coyote every once in awhile, and feral cats.
We do have some hawks that fly over, also a lot of pelicans even tho we are a couple of hundred miles from the ocean.
My uncle that lives in North Pole, Alaska had a moose that spent time living in his driveway.
Sometimes he couldn't get out of the garage because the moose was in the way and would not move.
Game department finally came out and ran it off.

So I was told by My neighbor. I've seen it in the trees and it is huge but I don't have a close up to positively identify. I've looked up Florida Hawks and can't seem to find any that large so now I am suspect. It's still around. I'll try and get a picture that's more identifiable one day. Hell it could just be one of our huge Owls......

We live in the same area and have all the same wildlife. The poor panther is not doing too well here anymore. We heard one last week. Had too many of those what we call banana spiders across my face ,they always have their webs across the trails face high. My oldest daughter would pass out if one ever did that to her.She screams if she even sees a spider.

We live in the same area and have all the same wildlife. The poor panther is not doing too well here anymore. We heard one last week. Had too many of those what we call banana spiders across my face ,they always have their webs across the trails face high. My oldest daughter would pass out if one ever did that to her.She screams if she even sees a spider.
I used to think they were Banana spiders until I read up on them. they are known as Orbs. I am with you though. Them seem to always be at face height and the will scare the bejeez outta ya if you don't see them!!

I used to think they were Banana spiders until I read up on them. they are known as Orbs. I am with you though. Them seem to always be at face height and the will scare the bejeez outta ya if you don't see them!!

Yea I knew that wasn't really the correct name but locals call them banana spiders or at least some of them do.

This is off subject but i did start the thread..LOL.....I'm Just about 35 miles East of Tallahassee and i know it can vary just by 5 miles away but we have had SOOOOO much rain this year it's been crazy! You guys too?

Yea I knew that wasn't really the correct name but locals call them banana spiders or at least some of them do.
I have seen Banana Spiders in Puerto Rico and I'm here to tell you i could not see a lick of difference. And Banana Spiders are very dangerous. I knew a guy in PR that got bit by one and spent 3 days in the hospital.....I'm really glad they aren't!! LOL

I have seen Banana Spiders in Puerto Rico and I'm here to tell you i could not see a lick of difference. And Banana Spiders are very dangerous. I knew a guy in PR that got bit by one and spent 3 days in the hospital.....I'm really glad they aren't!! LOL

This old guy down the road says they will make you sick if they bite you. I try not to let them stay on me long enough to find out. We have been clearing and cleaning these woods for over 20 years so have to watch out for some things.

The biggest ORB spiders I've ever seen. Unbelievable how the female dwarfs the male. And for perspective I was 5 times closer to the male and full zoom versus half on the female
IMG_20180721_151506.jpg
IMG_20180721_151533.jpg
IMG_20180721_151656.jpg

And more perspective. That's a shop vacuum behind them.

Latest posts

Back