Wild Grapes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Here in North Florida we have grape vines everywhere but they have to be cultivated and have proper care or they are just invasive vines.

We have not been successful so far. In Stone Mountain Ga. we had Muscadine's growing wild and plentiful all over the place, but here I planted some from our woods on a fence but they won't produce fruit.

http://theprepperproject.com/making-jam-wild-grapes/

Here in North Florida we have grape vines everywhere but they have to be cultivated and have proper care or they are just invasive vines.

We have not been successful so far. In Stone Mountain Ga. we had Muscadine's growing wild and plentiful all over the place, but here I planted some from our woods on a fence but they won't produce fruit.

http://theprepperproject.com/making-jam-wild-grapes/
How long ago did you plant them? Some things take a while to get going again after they are moved.

And maybe like ZoomZoom said, they may never produce grapes.

How long ago did you plant them? Some things take a while to get going again after they are moved.

And maybe like ZoomZoom said, they may never produce grapes.

A couple years ago. After reading through some of the site seems there is a trick to them.

i took all the free produce in the woods for granted. The man who sold mama the property in the late 1940s had apples, pears, grapes, figs, walnuts etc, all over the place. So we never did anything but enjoy it. Mama was too busy backing up a lake site , practicing shooting,acting as self appointed humane society and watchign us kids to tend to gardening. She never panted anything much.

Harvesting and Utilizing Wild Grapes
I have a wild muscadine from the house next to mine, it took over when I was sick for eighteen months & I will have to cut it back if not out completely this winter, but it is covered with fruit now, with no help from an human.

I have a wild muscadine from the house next to mine, it took over when I was sick for eighteen months & I will have to cut it back if not out completely this winter, but it is covered with fruit now, with no help from an human.

If you have to remove it, take some cuttings and root them so you can transplant in a more favorable spot. They aren't hard to root.

I will not need to root it, it is in two pine trees & some of the vine are running like a ground cover. The vine on the ground have support roots, but if you trace it back to where it enter the ground, you can cut it off & transplant it. The main problem with wild grapes/muscadines is they have more vines than fruit & the sugar content is lower than 16% of the tame/hybrid vines. But you are right, they stand up the the weather & neglect better than any hybrid vine. If you are making jam/jelly or wine, sugar content is a minor concern, eating out of hand as a table grape is the only real different.

Yeah once they touch the ground they root easily. I think the vines will out outperform tame vines, but not sure they produce many more grapes. We just make jelly, never tried wine. But I have had muscadine wine and it is very good.

Back