Wild Lettuce for Pain Relief

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i have read a bit about wild lettuce, it is also called Natures Morphine. i bought some seeds so i can grow some this year. some people rave about it. but i have not yet tried it.

anyone here use it? tincture or tea? this could be a very good little weed to let grow in the back yard.

since ive lived so long with whole body chronic pain alot of my reasearch was for pain relief without getting blotto. there are options for this wild lettuce to MSM to Kratom to cannabis tincture or oil. we have options folks, just got to try them and find the right dose to see what helps.
ive learned that some people with arthrits get good relief taking a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every day, ypu, plain old apple cider vinegar.

then some need those gin soaked raisins. called the Paul Harvey remedy, he used them for years, soak some golden raisins in gin for 30 days, take 9 raisins a day, i know several people who swear by it.
i tried it and yup they cut the pain for me but not enough so i went on to research other things and ended up with the cannabis tincture that did the trick for me.. but from what ive learned, one treatment does not always work for everyone, we have to find the one that works for us.
there are options out there folks---dont give up hope.

oh this is a great recipe and Very simple.
take a clean glass jar with lid like a quart canning jar or similar.
pick your hops at the end of summer when they turn brown and papery.
fill your jar 1/23-3/4 full with the hops. pour in vodka at least 80 proof or everclear.

add enough to cover the hops at least one inch over the level of the hops.
stir or shake real good. label and date
let steep for 2-4 wks. and shake 2-3 times a day to stir things up.
strain when ready into dark bottle.

dose is 1tsp to 1 T in water or tea about one hour before bed,
makes you nice and sleepy and relaxed.
its a little bitter so add some stevia if you want but avoid any kind of sugars before bed,
this is nice and gentle. if you need a bit more or a bit less, that is fine, find the dose that works best for you, i like this stuff.

maybe you will like it too.

Wild Lettuce grows all over where I live, a couple of Years ago I decided I was going to try using it for Pain Relief. I gathered a Kettle full, covered it with Water and brought it to a Boil for about 30 Minutes. I then Strained out the Solids, and reduced the Liquid down to about One Quart. Let me tell you from Personal Experience, this is the FOULEST tasting stuff you will ever place in your Mouth, but One TBSP. cut severe Knee Pain down to a very bearable level, and will make you Sleep as well, if not better, than any Prescription Medication.

Wild Lettuce grows all over where I live, a couple of Years ago I decided I was going to try using it for Pain Relief. I gathered a Kettle full, covered it with Water and brought it to a Boil for about 30 Minutes. I then Strained out the Solids, and reduced the Liquid down to about One Quart. Let me tell you from Personal Experience, this is the FOULEST tasting stuff you will ever place in your Mouth, but One TBSP. cut severe Knee Pain down to a very bearable level, and will make you Sleep as well, if not better, than any Prescription Medication.

I do agree mostly about the taste but I believe fire cider is even worse, at least the way I make it!

A mixture of garlic, horseradish, ginger, onion, turmeric, ACV, a little raw honey and more. Takes a month to steep. I found recipe on pinterest but there are plenty on google too. I take a shot of it if I start to feel bad or if I am going into a situation where folks may be sick. Haven't been sick aside from a cough (which may be allergies) yet.

i have read a bit about wild lettuce, it is also called Natures Morphine. i bought some seeds so i can grow some this year. some people rave about it. but i have not yet tried it.

anyone here use it? tincture or tea? this could be a very good little weed to let grow in the back yard.

Nature's morphine? LOL. Poppies are nature's morphine.

I do want to try growing wild lettuce though. I read some clinical studies and they say it is about as effective as ibuprofen.

And it is also a sedative, apparently people in it's native region (Iran?) occasionally overdose on it because some rural folks eat it as a vegetable without realizing too much will cause them to go unconscious for a day or two and end up in the hospital. Fortunately they typically recover with no ill effects.

SouthCentralUS,
a tincture can be made of the dried leaf but it is the milky sap that has the real potency. learning to make your own medicine is a great thing, try the tincture , start with a low dose and see how it helps you.

when i make a tincture i take a large glass jar, fill with the dried herb about half full and cover with Everclear or vodka that is 80 proof, stir, cap and label. let steep for at least 2 weeks, shaking the jar every day 102x. keep out of light and away grom heat. strain when ready. put some in dark bottle with eye dropper. please come back and let us know how it is working for you.

and sonya---when i read your post--

cone on---yes the poppy thing is accurate, but to some people the wild lettuce has become for them what poppy does for others.

yes it has been called by some folks 'natures morphine', too bad that label applied to it bothers you. so why do you feel the need to correct others with different life experiences and background than you? people who use it call it that,. so what?

so you have read clinical studies and read about people taking too much---ok, but what have You done to learn for yourself and contribute?

if some say its only 'like ibuprohhen' an others say it takes away all their pain, some say it helps them alot some say they dont see alot of difference, Every Human Body Is Different. the important thing is to share info, Learn something NEW and try it to see if it can help the problem one is dealing with. i suggest if a study claims it is 'just like ibuprohen' then perhaps they are not making it right,

which would not surprise me at all.

and sonya---when i read your post--

cone on---yes the poppy thing is accurate, but to some people the wild lettuce has become for them what poppy does for others.

yes it has been called by some folks 'natures morphine', too bad that label applied to it bothers you. so why do you feel the need to correct others with different life experiences and background than you? people who use it call it that,. so what?

Wow! I didn't realize pointing out the ridiculous misnomer "Nature's Morphine" would cause such hostility! And it is ridiculous since the very term implies opiates are man made and unnatural even though the opium poppy is the most famous and effective herbal pain killer on the planet. The term "Opium Lettuce" is widely used but has a totally different connotation.

I also erroneously thought the papers regarding overdoses would be of interest to people that may want to use it as a sleep aid; if large amounts can induce unconsciousness then obviously the active compounds in it are in fact very effective.

And yes I have done research, and plan to do more research as I want to grow some (as stated) but obviously my thoughts or input on the topic are not welcome here.

Last edited:
lol. cute. perhaps a tad bit more polish on the self righteous indignation will impress more. you were pulling a 'know-it-all' or 'correcting' diss and the tone and attitude was rude. and you know it. so i called you on it. you are making a wild ass assumption that everyone in the world that uses this plant calls it or knows it as the same name/ label. you are wrong. sorry you dont approve of other people calling the plant by a name you think is ridiculous. how stupid of us.

Ive lived in alot of places in the US and the world. a big thing i learned was different plants are known by different names, labels and personalities. called one thing here, it can be called a different name somewhere else by other people even in the same country.

when we encounter others who names or labels or uses a plant a bit differently than we are accustomed to, belittling in order to show ones superior knowledge is not always the best thing to do. a little respect goes a long way.

but if it bugs you to know that some people call the plant 'Natures Morphine' or whatever you find umbrage with, then simply dont call it that. ok? but going around telling people this or that is ridiculous a Name of a Plant is----- doesnt send a message that you are interested in sharing thoughts and input. in fact, the opposite is displayed.

when you start growing the plant and harvesting and making the different concoctions and USING them and keeping records, please post. i would very much enjoy hearing of your experiments. THAT is what we are here for, to share experience and knowledge and hopefully help each other.

i bought some seeds so i can grow some this year. some people rave about it. but i have not yet tried it. anyone here use it? tincture or tea?

Botanists claim there 13 different native species of wild lettuce growing in the eastern US (not including several invasive species from Europe). I’ve only identified 11 of 13, an exercise in futility maybe, but I gave it a try. At the end of the day one might say there are only two wild lettuce groups, Blue lettuce and Yellow lettuce.

Blue and Yellow being the color of their blooms. Blue lettuces are closely related to the most common blue species, Lactuca floridana or Florida lettuce. The yellow lettuces also have most common species, Lactuca canadensis or Canadian lettuce.

Medicinally they are all the same. I know someone who makes a very mild pain reliever from it, little more than a sleep aid. It’s a stinky 3-day process, not a simple tea or tincture. However, it does have a place in an apothecary. It will help a few people in certain situations.

That said… all of the brew ha-ha… how all this started…

Out government just prior two WWII did research into L. virosa because it expected its opium supplies to be cut off with the pending war. Two French scientists were employed, which made sense as that species is native to Europe and found rarely in the US and then only in isolated areas. They concluded that after a lot of hard collecting work the most the processed sap did was give one a good night's sleep and was not pain-killing at all.

Internet gossip about this original research is the source of the term “Natures Morphine”. Prior to the existence of forums folks used what were called bulletin boards on the net, this was late 80’s, early 90’s. Some unknown person somewhere started the rumor that lettuce was powerful and potent pain reliever. It’s not, plain and simple, never has been, never will be. For the last 30 years or so this rumor about lettuce spreads across the net from time to time. 99% of all I have read on the about lettuce on the net as a pain reliever is false. Just copy and paste from older websites who copied this false info from even older websites...

There are some wonderful and very powerful non-addictive pain relievers made from plants. Almost all are made from extremely toxic plants, like water hemlock (used to execute Socrates), poison hemlock and yellow jasmine. All 3 plants will kill you in a very horrible, painful manner… if you don’t know what you are doing. I know what I’m doing and I still wear a respirator, eye protection and the heavy oven cleaning gloves.

After this there are no ibuprofen or any pain reliever that can be compared to a pharmaceutical medication. After this a certain plant only relieves a certain kind of pain. Even the original aspirin (from willow bark) only treats certain symptoms unlike pharmaceutical synthesized aspirin.

There are many other pain relievers made from less toxic plants that are situational. For instance, poke sallet. It’s an anti-inflammatory. It relieves pain by reducing inflammation. It too is a toxic plant, won’t kill but you might wish you were dead. Another in this category is Lobelia aka Puke weed. It’s toxic and relieves specific kinds of pain. If you take more than a couple of drops from a medicine dropper you are going to pray to the porcelain goddess for a couple of hours and wish you were dead, but it is very good with certain kinds of pain.

Lettuce is an edible plant, not toxic when very young. Edible plants make very mild pain relievers at best, except for one… I posted about it last Saturday… Solomon’s Seal, again, good for a specific kind of pain. :)

Last edited:
Botanists claim there 13 different native species of wild lettuce growing in the eastern US (not including several invasive species from Europe). I’ve only identified 11 of 13, an exercise in futility maybe, but I gave it a try. At the end of the day one might say there are only two wild lettuce groups, Blue lettuce and Yellow lettuce.

Blue and Yellow being the color of their blooms. Blue lettuces are closely related to the most common blue species, Lactuca floridana or Florida lettuce. The yellow lettuces also have most common species, Lactuca canadensis or Canadian lettuce.

Medicinally they are all the same. I know someone who makes a very mild pain reliever from it, little more than a sleep aid. It’s a stinky 3-day process, not a simple tea or tincture. However, it does have a place in an apothecary. It will help a few people in certain situations.

That said… all of the brew ha-ha… how all this started…

Out government just prior two WWII did research into L. virosa because it expected its opium supplies to be cut off with the pending war. Two French scientists were employed, which made sense as that species is native to Europe and found rarely in the US and then only in isolated areas. They concluded that after a lot of hard collecting work the most the processed sap did was give one a good night's sleep and was not pain-killing at all.

Internet gossip about this original research is the source of the term “Natures Morphine”. Prior to the existence of forums folks used what were called bulletin boards on the net, this was late 80’s, early 90’s. Some unknown person somewhere started the rumor that lettuce was powerful and potent pain reliever. It’s not, plain and simple, never has been, never will be. For the last 30 years or so this rumor about lettuce spreads across the net from time to time. 99% of all I have read on the about lettuce on the net as a pain reliever is false.

There are some wonderful and very powerful non-addictive pain relievers made from plants. Almost all are made from extremely toxic plants, like water hemlock (used to execute Socrates), poison hemlock and yellow jasmine. All 3 plants will kill you in a very horrible, painful manner… if you don’t know what you are doing. I know what I’m doing and I still wear a respirator, eye protection and the heavy oven cleaning gloves.

After this there are no ibuprofen or any pain reliever that can be compared to a pharmaceutical medication. After this a certain plant only relieves a certain kind of pain. Even the original aspirin (from willow bark) only treats certain symptoms unlike pharmaceutical synthesized aspirin.

There are many other pain relievers made from less toxic plants that are situational. For instance, poke sallet. It’s an anti-inflammatory. It relieves pain by reducing inflammation. It too is a toxic plant, won’t kill but you might wish you were dead. Another in this category is Lobelia aka Puke weed. It’s toxic and relieves specific kinds of pain. If you take more than a couple of drops from a medicine dropper you are going to pray to the porcelain goddess for a couple of hours and wish you were dead, but it is very good with certain kinds of pain.

Lettuce is an edible plant, not toxic when very young. Edible plants make very mild pain relievers at best, except for one… I posted about it last Saturday… Solomon’s Seal, again, good for a specific kind of pain. :)

Peanut: As always your knowledge is only equaled by your ability to present information in a data filled post. I have a passion for learning and acquiring new information but little use for aggressive posts. Thank you for sharing a world of information in a manner acceptable to all.

I try. I'm better than I used to be. Someone told me in the old forum... if someone gave me the slightest insult, I didn't respond in kind. I fired a 16 inch broad side, with a couple of cruise missiles added for good measure… I think they also used the words mortar barrage.

This was true... I'm trying to do better, I get horrible headaches quite often. These days I've learned to turn off my computer instead of firing a broadside! :oops:

Last edited:
I try. I'm better than I used to be. Someone told me in the old forum... if someone gave me the slightest insult, I didn't respond in kind. I launched a 16 inch broad side. This was true... I'm trying to do better, I get horrible headaches quite often. These days I've learned to turn off my computer instead of launching a broadside! :oops:

Peanut, I do remember those responses and I am so grateful you have found a way to deal with the urges. Your knowledge is to valuable to loose because of a tirade for a few seconds. We all benefit from your ability to turn off the computer and return in a better state of mind. It took me a very long time to learn not to strike out but to wait, so I understand the difficulty. You are setting a great example for others to follow. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. P.S. sorry about the headaches, wish I knew how to help.

The plant is called Monarda fistulosa... a fresh leaf and all is better in less than 10 minutes. It doesn't grow in winter... I tend to be grumpy then.. ;)

First glad there is something to help. Will it grow in a greenhouse environment? Can you pot grow it some way for a yearly dose? Can you preserve it potency in some other long term manner? I must sound like I am singing to the choir but just maybe in your busy life you had not given this much thought. Just hoping here. If something happens in the winter when you are a bit grumpy, P.M. me and give me the 16 gun broadside, I won't take it personal. Private venting can be helpful.

Internet gossip about this original research is the source of the term “Natures Morphine”. Prior to the existence of forums folks used what were called bulletin boards on the net, this was late 80’s, early 90’s. Some unknown person somewhere started the rumor that lettuce was powerful and potent pain reliever.

The references to opium may have also originally stemmed from the fact that in high doses it can cause hallucinations and sometimes euphoria along with sleepiness (much like opium).

That could have contributed to the nickname "opium lettuce" in the 19th century when various recreational drugs were widely used and marketed as "medicine" for various ailments (perhaps the US gov bought into the historic marketing hype).

Here is one recent study that mentions euphoria and hallucinations, though apparently most just got really anxious/dizzy/sick after accidentally ingesting way to much: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3031874/

Last edited:
Sonya_6, thank you for your follow up post. I am sure it will enlighten some folks. I am pretty sure Peanut has got it down pat. I truly enjoy learning new facts.

The references to opium may have also originally stemmed from the fact that in high doses it can cause hallucinations and sometimes euphoria along with sleepiness (much like opium).

That could have contributed to the nickname "opium lettuce" in the 19th century when opium dens, cocaine, and other concoctions were legal and widely used and marketed as medicines for various ailments (medicine that most took for the buzz, perhaps the US gov bought into the historic marketing hype).

Here is one recent study that mentions euphoria and hallucinations, though apparently most just got really anxious/dizzy/sick after accidentally ingesting way to much: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3031874/

Sonya_6, thank you for your follow up post. I am sure it will enlighten some folks. I am pretty sure Peanut has got it down pat. I truly enjoy learning new facts.

Yes it sounds like Peanut really knows her herbs! I am excited to find an herbalist that will hopefully be kind enough to answer some questions when tincture making time comes around later this summer.

This is my first year growing medicinal herbs (have lots of little transplants waiting to go outside including Valerian, Elecampane, Echinacea Angustifolia, Sida Cordifolia, Ephedra, etc...) and am looking up clinical papers on extraction, preservation, uses etc... but will still have questions.

Yes it sounds like Peanut really knows her herbs! I am excited to find an herbalist that will hopefully answer some questions.

This is my first year growing medicinal herbs (have lots of little transplants waiting to go outside including Valerian, Elecampane, Echinacea Angustifolia, Sida Cordifolia, etc...) and I will have some questions when it is time to make tinctures.

This forum has the experts and the willingness to help with our questions, unfortunately, I am not one of these people. Keep posting you will get your answers.

Latest posts

Back