Wilderness series

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschoolgenz

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Wilderness series by David Robbins is my favorite fiction book series. It tells the story of a New York city boy in the early 1800s named Nathaniel King who leaves the city life in pursuit of the freedom of the unsettled west. There's 60+ books in the series and I enjoy them so much that when I start one I'll usually always finish it right there in one sitting. One aspect I like is how gritty it can be when Nate goes through situations on the frontier, and while of course Nate always survives because it's a fiction book, it's interesting to read about things that could of and did happen to real frontiersmen during that time. There are a lot of memorable quotes too that really make you consider the unnatural way of life that the modern world is accustomed to.

One of the main themes that is portrayed throughout the series is the idea of: It's better to live in danger and be a free man than to live in peace and comfort but be controlled by a boss or the government.

There were many ways to die on the frontier too... hostile Injuns, bad white men who robbed & murdered folks, dangerous and/or venomous critters, plain starvation or dehydration, exposure to the elements, severe illness, accidental injury which led to septic poisoning, all kinds of stuff. I'll always remember the stories of pioneers who were accidentally wounded by their own axes while felling trees or chopping firewood... an ax wound can be pretty nasty, and if it's not treated correctly afterward, it can turn gangrenous and kill somebody. Ugh. :oops:

But that's a good theme you mentioned, the freedom of living in the wilderness as a pioneer, and to heck with the bosses & gubmint... my family went west early on, they were definitely pioneers, moving away from the coast and heading to what would later be Kentucky & Tennessee. Kan-tuck-ee, lol... one of my ancestors married an elder sister of Daniel Boone, and that's no Internet BS either, me beloved & dear departed mum was Registrar of our local DAR chapter in Coronado for many years, and she used all the resources of that organization to draw our family tree, clear back to England in the Middle Ages, lol. Churches kept good records in those days: births, marriages & deaths. :cool:

I know that if I had more money, I'd be living farther back in the wilderness today, WAY the heck off the beaten path, lol. But y'all know how it is for folks on a budget, it's not always that easy to get away, much as we'd like to do so... and if there are kids involved, that's another serious factor, though I would certainly home school any kids I had, no doubt about it given the state of modern leftist academic institutions, PFFFFFFT. I wouldn't want any kid of mine---related or adopted---to put up with the garbage they're teaching kids nowadays in those hellholes. F#% that... the kid would be better off growing up in the wilderness and learning survival skills, rather than "Critical Race Theory" or "Tranny Grinder Life" or some other leftist BS propaganda. 😒

One of the main themes that is portrayed throughout the series is the idea of: It's better to live in danger and be a free man than to live in peace and comfort but be controlled by a boss or the government.
Actually, pretty much sums up my life.

I came across a book title/series, Woodswoman: Living Alone in the Adirondack Wilderness, by Anne LaBastille. It is about her life in the woods. I haven't read it, can only find a copy on Amazon. Need to look around at other libraries, no need to rush out and buy it.
Anybody familiar with it?

Latest posts

Back