Wildfires 2024

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know that Pearl has posted about the crazy fires that are happening in Texas now. It must be really dry there. I thought it would be great to have a central thread where we track all of the wildfires throughout the year. Hopefully, California will not be as crazy with fires this year.

I know that Pearl has posted about the crazy fires that are happening in Texas now. It must be really dry there. I thought it would be great to have a central thread where we track all of the wildfires throughout the year. Hopefully, California will not be as crazy with fires this year.
I think their 'atmospheric-rivers' have 'drowned' their chance of whining about wildfires this year.
It also has 'washed out' their screaming of '20-year drought'.
The silence is deafening. :rolleyes:
(wow, 2 puns in one post!:D).

Last edited:
Great idea Weedy!! Nebraska had/has a huge fire!! The Texas fires are in Oklahoma and huge!! And Canada is constantly on fire!!☹️
A lawnmower sparked the fire in Nebraska, northeast of North Platte. North Platte is a place I have been through many times. We drive to North Platte and then head north from there on our way to some of our locations in South Dakota. It is grass land there, rolling prairies. There is probably lots of brown grass there now.

https://www.knopnews2.com/2024/02/2...-acres-lincoln-dawson-counties-officials-say/

Texas fires

https://disasterphilanthropy.org/di...U8PSzjyRQIYWlmjO1zKRxmTVYRM_2jOBoC-gwQAvD_BwE

Smokehouse Creek Fire: This wildfire in Texas has become the biggest fire ever in the state and the second-largest wildfire in U.S. history, as of Feb. 29. The fire has burned more than a million acres in Texas, and nearly 32,000 acres in Oklahoma, and has only 3% containment.

Disaster declarations were issued by Governor Greg Abbott for 60 counties in response to the Smokehouse Creek Fire and three other fires. More than 100 miles of power lines will need to be rebuilt. Approximately 30,000 people are located within the perimeter.

The Smokehouse Creek Fire grew from 300,000 acres on Feb. 27, to 850,000 on Feb. 28 and then jumped to more than a million acres on Feb. 29. The drone footage shows the magnitude of the devastation. With dry, windy conditions expected as March begins, officials are worried the fire will worsen.

At 1,075,000 acres, the Smokehouse Creek Fire is bigger than Rhode Island. Texas’ preparedness level increased to three, indicating they will need outside resources to help fight the fires.

Dozens of homes in communities in the Texas Panhandle have been destroyed, along with numerous other structures, including barns, outbuildings and businesses. Many livestock and agricultural lands have also been destroyed. The fire is mostly burning in grass with some lumber at the bottom of the canyons.

An 83-year-old grandmother in Stinnett is the only fatality to date.

Windy Deuce Fire: In the town of Fritch, the mayor estimated that at least 50 homes have been destroyed by the Windy Deuce Fire in the southern part of the community, but the fire is still burning and not all areas are accessible. Damage may be higher

Home to slightly more than 2,100 people, the north side of Fritch burned in a wildfire in 2014.

The Windy Deuce Fire has burned 142,000 acres, with 50% containment as of Feb. 29. Several evacuations are in place.

687 Reamer Fire: This fire was smaller and burned 2,000 acres with 10% containment before being consumed by the Smokehouse Creek Fire on Feb. 28.

expect to see lots of wildfires, apparently many of the additives in jet fuel kill trees, imagine that,

Latest posts

Back