Will Peanuts,Almonds Hurt Crows?Or Wild Birds?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We have a huge can of mixed nuts that are old.We ate some ,didn't hurt us but don't like the taste of old Planters Mixed nuts.
Can we give them to out crow family? Over the years we made pets out of them so they demand thier trats every morning.

In general, animals are much smarter than humans when it comes to not eating things that can harm you. Don't crows eat old dead things? I wouldn't think a stale nut could compete with that, unless these is some known bad crow/food interaction (like dogs and chocolate).

In general, animals are much smarter than humans when it comes to not eating things that can harm you. Don't crows eat old dead things? I wouldn't think a stale nut could compete with that, unless these is some known bad crow/food interaction (like dogs and chocolate).

Thanks Haertig, I know SheepDog said he fed scrap meat from cleaning deer to his freindly crows. I really didn't want a flock of crows but seems like Pretty Bird has brought his family,now have 4 crows hanging around. Pretty Bird was alone for years here hung around ourhens.
W've been feedinf the ndog food since we took our old dog Molly off dry food and now she eats what we cook,rice,chicken or grwound beef and mixe veggies. She is old and we just lost her sister Nov.14. Still not over thaat one.

The only thing is that crows will choose to eat when it may not be the best food is if it is salted. Like all animals they can get addicted to salt. It can cause heart and liver damage. Mostly crows will eat anything.
Peanuts are like candy for them but tree nuts are not bad for them. Salt can be very bad but they learn fast. If you put something out for them and they pass it by then the bugs and rodents will eat it. You might not like that.

I am with Sheep Dog.
I do not think you can hurt a crow, maybe lead.
I remember a child movie about a crow puting Peacans in the road so cars would crush it then eating the nut bits.

I hear they are smart birds. Maybe wash the salt off before I feed them the nuts?:dunno:

I put the stale nuts in a feeder, either squirrels or birds eat them.
it a full huge 3.8 lb. can of Planters mixed nuts. I vought them thinking I was buying the regualr size can. Alreay put some of other can in freezer.
Ordering online is not good for me. Like buying clothes,FORGET IT! Thanks DadeM.

Reactions: Neb
it a full huge 3.8 lb. can of Planters mixed nuts. I vought them thinking I was buying the regualr size can. Alreay put some of other can in freezer.
Ordering online is not good for me. Like buying clothes,FORGET IT! Thanks DadeM.
I had one of those.

I broke into the party size can many years ago and forgot about it. Mice found it and opened an hole through the lid. Tobacco beetles moved in. By the time I found it. It was lame.

Ben

How did they stay around long enough to go stale.

Joel I didn't realize the amount when I bought them.Afterwards I didn't want to open such a large can of nuts.And of course mixed nuts is always mostly almonds and peanuts. Unless you buy DELUXE mixed nuts.

Reactions: Neb
As a boy on the farm we had hickrey nuts & Black walnuts,grew peanuts. I spend 1/3 of my childhood gathering & foraging nuts & berries. We got whole in shell mix nut for Christmas. Once I got into the Big City & found out I could buy them shelled I was addicted for life. Now I have my wife hid them so I can
stay half way on my diet. I eat a lot of dried fruit,whole fruit & raw & pickled vegetables to keep myself away from nuts & popcorn. I am a protein nut, most protein is full of fat, I stop eating white bread, most any bread. I am off my soap box, for now. :D

(Off topic)

All this talk of mixed nuts got my mouth watering so I went looking for some. I would have that SOMEWHERE in our preps there would be mixed nuts. They must have gone in the last purge The Princess did.

I had to settle for beef jerky but will hear about when finds out "Beef jerky is the most expensive meat we have!"

Confession time
Some times I don't behave.

Ben

My wife knows I don't behave. She got over it and just says, "good for you!" and it's left at that.
We all have different tolerances and those "gray" rules. Funny when I was actively parenting my kids there was no gray rules... I must be getting lazy. :)

Nuts are good for you because they're not meat. Meat is bad. No innocent animals have to die when you eat nuts...🙄

I eat nuts all the time just because it's easy to throw a can in my pack and they don't need refrigeration. Most days at work I have peanuts and beef jerky for lunch. I've never had nuts go bad except for a can that fell out of my pack in my trunk and then sat in there from January until June. I guess being frozen and then superheated isn't good for them...😂

Just imagine all the birds and squirrels that are starving because you ate their nuts... you know their food.
Grow up! :)

I eat meat but feel like no sense in unnessasary hurting them. Heck even animals eat animals. But to be cruel is not the same as being humane to them.

Meerkat,
My comment was not aimed at you - it was that pesky Spikedriver.
I hunt for food but I make sure the first shot takes the animal out and down. I respect them too much to wound them. Besides I don't like tracking them down if they run. ;)

Meerkat,
My comment was not aimed at you - it was that pesky Spikedriver.
I hunt for food but I make sure the first shot takes the animal out and down. I respect them too much to wound them. Besides I don't like tracking them down if they run. ;)

I know that SheepD:thumbs:.

Latest posts

Back