Windows 11, version 22H2 update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this was sent to me

Microsoft Adds Mandatory System-Wide Artificial Intelligence Engine “Windows Copilot” to Windows 11, Promising “Helpfulness.” Exactly How Will Your Data be Analyzed?​

On Tuesday, May 23rd, 2023, Microsoft announced it is adding strong built-in artificial intelligence or AI integration throughout its Windows 11 operating system. Microsoft says AI will make Windows 11 easier and faster to use. But some experts worry that AI in Windows 11 could invade people’s privacy. It is unclear to what extent “Windows Copilot” will be woven to in all aspects of Windows 11.

https://jeff.pro/microsoft-adds-man...lness-exactly-how-will-your-data-be-analyzed/

this was sent to me

Microsoft Adds Mandatory System-Wide Artificial Intelligence Engine “Windows Copilot” to Windows 11, Promising “Helpfulness.” Exactly How Will Your Data be Analyzed?​

On Tuesday, May 23rd, 2023, Microsoft announced it is adding strong built-in artificial intelligence or AI integration throughout its Windows 11 operating system. Microsoft says AI will make Windows 11 easier and faster to use. But some experts worry that AI in Windows 11 could invade people’s privacy. It is unclear to what extent “Windows Copilot” will be woven to in all aspects of Windows 11.
Jeff.pro: Cybercriminals or Microsoft themselves could misuse this data or use the data in ways that you don’t like … considering the closed-source nature of Windows, the reality is, users will never know how their data is being gathered and used by Windows.
I will keep my windows Vista running forever.
I was smart enough to see the capabilities that they removed in the following versions.
Them trying to 'inject' AI into peoples computers is just to get the sheep to fall inline with the 'new world order' :mad:.
I ain't playing to their tune.
Mine:
Windows_Vista_logo.png

Last edited:
...linux... does everything I need.
Yep. Obviously Microsoft has figured out that selling people's info is way more profitable than selling PC's or software.
I think we should release The Kraken, SuperDave @Haertig , our resident Linux pro :thumbs:.

Last edited:
I'm not going to try and convince anyone to convert to Linux. These days, I am content to help people who have made the "switch to Linux "decision on their own.

Most of the time, this is how a switch from Windows to Linux goes: Windows user gets frustrated with Windows. There are a million reasons why this may occur. Windows user attempts to switch to Linux. Windows user complains that Linux is not "just like Windows", as if Linux would ever want to be like Windows. Windows user switches back to Windows and badmouths Linux. Linux doesn't care and happily chugs along with zero need to add any Windows users.

New Linux users typically go through a phase where they want to spread the word about this OS that runs circles around Windows. But after using Linux for years, they learn that there is zero benefit in trying to attract Windows users. And on the downside, they usually respond with more smugness than compassion when hearing Windows users complaining about their newest issue du jour - like Microsoft forcing mandatory AI snooping into their systems.

The bad thing for many Linux users - myself included - is that there is always that one family member who insists on running Windows and expects us to keep "fixing it" all the time. The sad thing is how a 20 year Windows user can't fix their own computer, but a Linux user who hasn't touched Windows for decades is able to. :(

I'm not going to try and convince anyone to convert to Linux. These days, I am content to help people who have made the "switch to Linux "decision on their own.

Most of the time, this is how a switch from Windows to Linux goes: Windows user gets frustrated with Windows. There are a million reasons why this may occur. Windows user attempts to switch to Linux. Windows user complains that Linux is not "just like Windows", as if Linux would ever want to be like Windows. Windows user switches back to Windows and badmouths Linux. Linux doesn't care and happily chugs along with zero need to add any Windows users.

New Linux users typically go through a phase where they want to spread the word about this OS that runs circles around Windows. But after using Linux for years, they learn that there is zero benefit in trying to attract Windows users. And on the downside, they usually respond with more smugness than compassion when hearing Windows users complaining about their newest issue du jour - like Microsoft forcing mandatory AI snooping into their systems.

The bad thing for many Linux users - myself included - is that there is always that one family member who insists on running Windows and expects us to keep "fixing it" all the time. The sad thing is how a 20 year Windows user can't fix their own computer, but a Linux user who hasn't touched Windows for decades is able to. :(
I've been using Linux on my home PCs since '92 (Linus Torvalds released version 0.12) and I haven't looked back at Windows since. My work laptop runs Win10, but I don't have to administer it; there's a team that handles that.

Any family members who ask for help are told "Sorry, I don't do Windows."

I plan to adopt Linux this year or next. I’ve been too busy with bigger things the last 5 years. I first tried Ubuntu 18.04 but had to go back to Windows when I couldn’t get my printer/scanner to install using Epson’s own Linux drivers. I needed things to “just work”because time was in short supply.

I have several pieces of important software that are Windows-only. I’ll explore virtualizing Windows to run those sandboxed after I figure out how to routinely function in a Linux flavor. Even something as simple as mapping a persistent network drive has been a PITA. Having our home NAS accessible with zero fuss is actually more critical than a working printer.

“Linux is only free if you don’t value your time” has proved to be painfully true in my use case.

I plan to adopt Linux this year or next. I’ve been too busy with bigger things the last 5 years. I first tried Ubuntu 18.04 but had to go back to Windows when I couldn’t get my printer/scanner to install using Epson’s own Linux drivers. I needed things to “just work”because time was in short supply.

I have several pieces of important software that are Windows-only. I’ll explore virtualizing Windows to run those sandboxed after I figure out how to routinely function in a Linux flavor. Even something as simple as mapping a persistent network drive has been a PITA. Having our home NAS accessible with zero fuss is actually more critical than a working printer.

“Linux is only free if you don’t value your time” has proved to be painfully true in my use case.

I would recommend you stay with Windows. Your showstopper is having required software that is Windows only. I cannot think of a good reason to move to Linux when you have that hanging around your neck. You're kind of stuck. Yes, a good Linux user may well be able to get "Windows only" software running on Linux. But a new Linux user, who appears anti-Linux in the first place, has a very slim chance. You've already found this out regarding network drives and printers - two tasks that are both trivial in Linux, but maybe not if the expectation is "Linux must be exactly like Windows". For example, using "Epson's own" drivers may be the first thing you'd try in Windows, but it's often the last thing you should try in Linux.

For anyone thinking of trying Linux, I would recommend the following:

If your computer is new enough to have USB3 ports, and it can boot from a USB port, and you have a USB3 thumbdrive with nothing on it (or one where you don't mind erasing everything) ... Try "MX Linux". Install it completely on the USB3 drive. Now you can put that USB3 drive into your computer, choose to boot from it via your computers BIOS level "Boot Menu", and run totally off the USB3 drive. Your hard disk will not be touched. Your existing OS installed on your hard drive will not be altered in any way. You can go back to your old OS simply by rebooting your computer. You can go back to Linux simply by rebooting again and choosing from your Boot Menu. All your Linux changes will be remembered from the last time you booted.

Two things to keep in mind - for the above to work as intended, you can't just burn the MX Linux ISO to the thumbdrive. Well you can, but you won't have persistence (your Linux stuff will not be remembered from boot to boot, only the base Linux install will be remembered). But the MX Linux website describes how to install it to a thumbdrive properly, and provides you a tool to do this (which can be run from Windows if needed). You also need to boot MX "with persistence enabled". You choose this at boot time. The MX website give pointers to YouTube videos by a dude named "Dolphin Oracle" (or something like that) talking about the different types of persistence and why you might want one over the other. This can get a little confusing, but ask an many people are probably willing to help (myself included).

Running Linux totally off of a USB3 thumbdrive is fine. It's not slow at all. You have a perfectly usable system. I run like this often. USB2 is a totally different story though. Don't even think of running your computer off of a USB2 port or a USB2 thumbdrive. Dreadfully slow, and unusable. If your computer has enough memory, you can even load everything off the thumbdrive into main computer memory - and then your computer will run like a scalded ape (but the initial copy to memory slows down the boot by a few minutes). Running totally from main memory your computer will be faster than you've ever seen it run before. Faster than running off of an SSD. However, if you have a terabyte of video files you want, those aren't going to fit into main memory. You will have to mount a hard drive, a second USB drive, or something else to hold that huge volume of user data while you're running the OS out of main memory.

I would recommend you stay with Windows. Your showstopper is having required software that is Windows only. I cannot think of a good reason to move to Linux when you have that hanging around your neck. You're kind of stuck. Yes, a good Linux user may well be able to get "Windows only" software running on Linux. But a new Linux user, who appears anti-Linux in the first place, has a very slim chance. You've already found this out regarding network drives and printers - two tasks that are both trivial in Linux, but maybe not if the expectation is "Linux must be exactly like Windows". For example, using "Epson's own" drivers may be the first thing you'd try in Windows, but it's often the last thing you should try in Linux.
I don’t expect it to be the same as Windows. In the case of my Epson multi-function, the limited searching I did all said Epson has good Linux support so just use the stuff from their website. At the time I just didn’t have the spare time to investigate the issue and absolutely needed the scanner part, it printed no problem. I have the spare time now so when I get around to it I’ll be able to troubleshoot whatever problems I run into.
My important software isn’t mission critical and can be ran in a virtualized environment or a headless Windows machine I remote into as needed. I also have old hardware with Proxmox loaded up. I want to start playing around with that some more too.

I have a cannon tr8520 scanner/printer. Everything works fine, setup was easy. There's great write ups in the linux forum, threads on many printers (great threads on just about any topic). A lot of great websites on all things linux, tutorials out the wahzu. Just have to search...

...So, what happens when you click on it:dunno:.
Do you get offers for genital surgery?
Some Windoz lover here is going to have to volunteer to be the 'guinea-pig' and step up.
Inquiring minds want to know:waiting:.

I'm staying W10 until it reaches EOL. But I'm going out on a limb and guessing that screenshot is from a fully connected instance of W11. Something with full Bing/Cortana spyware active. People that raw dawg Windows that way deserve whatever M$ shoves up their ethernet port.

Latest posts

Back