Wingnut's Crazy 'Trucking Daze' Thread!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some materials needed by drivers: fuel network guides, reefer alarm codes, etc. Of course, a truck driver had to buy his own atlas and 'Exit Guide' if he wanted 'em, but I grabbed those right away... a trucker's atlas comes in handy and can keep you out of trouble, while an 'Exit Guide' lets you know what services are available at each exit on every major interstate. Before I went trucking, I never even knew such guides existed, lol. Meh, live and learn... 😒

IMG_5784.JPG

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

When ya join the transportation industry, ya can't forget the all-important 'Bull$h!t Bag!' :oops:

IMG_5773.JPG

Here I am camping in Anza-Borrego with some gal I used to know... :rolleyes:

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

That was Borrego Palm Canyon, a campground where we spent the night... next morning, we drove out to Truckhaven Rocks and climbed to one summit for a view of the surrounding desert. Looks like I'm sweatin' in this "selfie" we took, it was a steep climb, lol. I think we went on to do the slot canyon by the Calcite Mine, but this was our first objective. :cool:

IMG_5791.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

Look closely at that last pic, and you can see my big ol' red Freightshaker parked in the upper left quadrant, lol. Funny to think that in those days, even when I had time off I was still driving the tractor around and burning company fuel, lol. The truck had a SatComm dome mounted atop it, high on the bulkhead above the catwalk, and I'd routinely cover it with foil to prevent the company from knowing that I was out goofing off in their truck, lol. Just the way it was in those days... here's a shot of the pyramid in Memphis, TN. 🤔

IMG_5793.JPG

Got a couple shots of truck camping in Lark Canyon, out by Boulevard, CA. Great place to take friends camping, I'd always sleep in the tent and let my friends sleep in the truck, aye? A new experience for them, and I've always liked tent camping. We'd drag firewood out there (strapped down to the catwalk) and have big ol' bonfires at night... party and BBQ under a million stars, aye? Lots of fun, and I probably took a dozen different friends out there with me over the years... my niece & nephew too, along with their friends. The following morning, after a nice breakfast, we'd break camp & roll north to the Carrizo Badlands Overlook, if we hadn't already visited it the previous afternoon. Good times! 😀

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5795.JPG

Here's the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial in Mobile, AL... just a few shots taken during my visit. I had some better shots of the battleship & submarine, but I reckon I gave them away to folks who liked 'em. Meh, no worries, this first shot shows my red & white USX rig parked out by the B-52 'Calamity Jane'---some other trucker was already visiting the memorial, so I simply parked alongside that rig. 😁

IMG_5796.JPG

IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5798.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

IMG_5800.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

A couple of pics taken in cold weather... first shot shows some backwoods PA facility with an approach on dirt, lol. 😒

IMG_5802.JPG

IMG_5803.JPG

Okay, lemme see what's next... I think this big ol' lumber mill was in southern Alabama. 🤔

IMG_5804.JPG

Next, we have shots of the 'Truman Home' (and library) in Independence, MO... plus some shots of the 'Subtropolis' near Independence & Kansas City, it is a large underground storage facility carved out of limestone. That place was a trip, a group of underground warehouses with docks and everything, lol. You could roll for quite some distance underground, trying to find your shipper's location, lol. But using limestone caverns for cold storage makes perfect sense, as the caverns will already be cooler underground. 🥶

IMG_5807.JPG

IMG_5806.JPG

IMG_5808.JPG

IMG_5809.JPG

Now, that company put me into a cr@ppy old flat-top tractor, so they didn't last very long... I was already spoiled by living out of a Freightshaker Condo, you understand. So ol' KLLM got drop-kicked like I was starrin' in the NFL... no great loss, they were nowhere near as organized as USX. Oh, yeah, USX fell by the wayside after some dispatcher failed to get me home for a specific holiday... I hadn't yet learned that holidays are just like any other days in the trucking industry, lol. 😕

IMG_5810.JPG

IMG_5805.JPG

That last pic shows the aquarium in Chattanooga in the background... and here are a couple of postcards for Bacpacker, showing the battleground on Lookout Mountain. 😉

IMG_5811.JPG

IMG_5812.JPG

That was also known as 'The Battle Above The Clouds' due to the cloud layer seen in the artist's rendition. Interesting location, I walked the ground there, same way I walked Vicksburg and Gettysburg. You get a better feel for what occurred when you walk the ground, aye? Here's a filler shot of some backup in traffic, Lord knows where, lol... 😬

IMG_5852.JPG

Last edited:
Some shots of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, NC... I had a blast there, stopping to get cleaned up in the Rocky Broad River and hiking in Chimney Rock Park. I was coming out of the woods with a load and when I saw Chimney Rock, I told myself, "That's it, I'm stopping to check out this place!" Rolled through the hamlet, parked by the river, washed my hair by the truck and donned some board shorts for a dip... that water was COLD too, coming out of the hills the way it did. Nice little village though, and the park is awesome, a destination in its own right! 😎

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

IMG_5817.JPG

IMG_5819.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

More shots of Chimney Rock, NC... 😎

IMG_5823.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG

IMG_5824.JPG

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5826.JPG

IMG_5825.JPG

Look closely in those last two pics, and you can see my truck parked in that back lot (upper left quadrant in last pic). That gorge is around 2500' deep, IIRC, so the views are pretty nice. 😁

IMG_5833.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

Last Chimney Rock shots... 😒

IMG_5835.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

That's 404' Hickory Nut Falls, featured in the remake of 'THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS' with Daniel Day-Lewis. The story took place in upstate NY, but the cliff scenes were filmed at Chimney Rock, NC, lol. The 'Cliff Trail' is spectacular, wish I still had some shots of it, but I must have given 'em away. Just watch the flick, can't beat the scenery in it. Next, we go to Chicago's West Side, where I was getting my wagon loaded in the shadow of the Sears Tower... 🙄

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

IMG_5841.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG

Views from the SkyDeck of the Sears Tower... now the building is called by some idiotic name, lol. 😒

IMG_5848.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

More Chi-Town shots... 😳

IMG_5850.JPG

IMG_5844.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

Dunno where this happy water tank was... but at least it's happy, lol. 😉

IMG_5853.JPG

And here are some old beat-up road tractors which had clearly been involved in rollover wrecks... 😬

IMG_5854.JPG

"SHOWROOM CONDITION!!!" 😁

Almost forgot these three filler shots... :eek:

IMG_5786.JPG

IMG_5787.JPG

IMG_5788.JPG

Last edited:
Okay, been awhile since I visited this thread, I've been busy posting trucking shots at another site, lol... and since I have a bunch of trucking shots on my camera card right now, I'll throw down a few, 10-4? But only a teaser round, as I'm ready to cut loose and PAR-TAY with some tequila shots on top of the beer I'm drinking, lol. I was just outside covering the blackberry vine---temp will drop to 16* or 17* F tonight---and boy, that wind is COLD! I couldn't cover the fruit trees yet, gotta wait till the wind dies down, and when I tackle that task later tonight, I intend to have plenty of "antifreeze" in my system, lol. Anyway, let's do a special round of pics, howzabout this 1953 Bull-Nose Kenworth? Let's see, the calendar year is now 2023, so we're talking about a 70-year-old rig... I'm sure it's still rolling around the country and looking good in truck shows, aye? Here we go with "WOOLY BULLY!" Y'all enjoy the pics, I'll post more trucking shots manana! CHEERS!!! 🍺

IMG_7594.JPG

IMG_7595.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG

IMG_7598.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG

IMG_7601.JPG

IMG_7602.JPG

IMG_7603.JPG

IMG_7604.JPG

P.S. Gotta love the diamond-plated 5th wheel, lol... it makes a statement! Here's a bonus pic to round out the set! :cool:

IMG_7510.JPG

That's a 53' wagon... convertible model, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Okay, time to PAR-TAY!!! HASTA LUEGO!!! :dancing:

Yeah, I imagine it's pretty rough, a little smoother with a loaded wagon behind it... but ya gotta admit, it's a classic KW, lol. 😎

When I get around to it, I'll post some more trucking pics... maybe later this afternoon, lol. First I gotta burn off this mild hangover, get some breakfast, do dishes, get cleaned up, etc., etc. Haircut too, I can't forget that, lol... :rolleyes:

Okay, I gotta clear my memory/storage card in the Canon cam so it's ready for the race this weekend, which means I'm gonna post some trucking pics, lol. Once I post 'em, I can erase the card and I'll be stylin' for the 'Tarantula 100!' So, let's see what we have here... 🤔

IMG_7428.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

IMG_7430.JPG

IMG_7431.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG

IMG_7586.JPG

IMG_7587.JPG

IMG_7583.JPG

IMG_7582.JPG

IMG_7584.JPG

Nice jet engine in that racing bus, lol... 😳

Saw these old workhorses in a pallet yard in Bakersfield... too good to pass up, lol. 😉

IMG_7469.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG

IMG_7471.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG

"SHOWROOM CONDITION!!!" 🤪

IMG_7476.JPG

That old farm tractor was in the same yard, lol... next, we have a rollover wreck on CA-99, with a salvage crew transferring product to a waiting rig in the rain, right through a damage hole in the roof of the wagon. 😬

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7467.JPG

"WELCOME TO THE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY!!!" 🤣

IMG_7520.JPG

That last pic shows a stone bridge over 200 years old spanning the Juniata River in Pennsylvania... the ancient Romans would be proud that it's still standing, lol. 😎

Hmm, what else do we have? Lemme see... 😒

IMG_7560.JPG

Road tractors & drivers waiting for their wagons to get loaded down in San Antone... 😳

IMG_7559.JPG

Shots taken at the Alamo... 😬

IMG_7563.JPG

IMG_7562.JPG

San Antone boat ride along the River Walk, an awesome venue ... 😎

IMG_7561.JPG

Rush hour out west, lol... 😁

IMG_7575.JPG

IMG_7565.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

IMG_7579.JPG

Okay, lemme see... 🤔

IMG_7517.JPG

"Mr. Parking Lot, what have you done?" 😳

IMG_7518.JPG

At least this Nova didn't get damaged... 😉

IMG_7512.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

A marina in the Buckeye... Alum Creek Lake, Ohio. 😎

IMG_7578.JPG

Armor on lowboy... looks like a self-propelled howitzer. 😒

IMG_7564.JPG

Three cabovers in Texas, lol... 😬

IMG_7528.JPG

Marine KW... 🪖

IMG_7488.JPG

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7490.JPG

Party barge aboard lowboy... :cool:

IMG_7514.JPG

IMG_7515.JPG

Oversized load tooling west on I-80 in Nebraska... 😒

IMG_7519.JPG

Wide open in Utah with the hammer down, lol... 😳

IMG_7513.JPG

IMG_7521.JPG

IMG_7523.JPG

Not my truck, just messing with the scale of that HUGE outcrop or formation that resembles a ship... 😉

IMG_7524.JPG

A couple pics taped together for a wider view, lol... 😬

IMG_7526.JPG

IMG_7527.JPG

Looks like Humphreys Peak, highest point in Arizona at 12,633' elevation, as seen from somewhere near Winslow... 😁

IMG_7592.JPG

Okey-dokey, moving on, we have my niece at a young age goofing off in my tractor at home in Coronado, lol... 😍

IMG_7402.JPG

Nice 'African Engineering' with the mini-bungees to put the CB mike right where I wanted it lol. Sometimes ya just do whatcha gotta do, 10-4? 🙄

IMG_7455.JPG

This old abandoned service station in Roswell had some classic graphic artwork... 😒

IMG_7452.JPG

IMG_7453.JPG

IMG_7454.JPG

I always liked this shot of a rain squall in the Arizona desert, even if it is a bit crooked in the frame, lol... 😬

IMG_7450.JPG

Another view of Steins Peak, New Mexico... awesome cragging venue for technical rock climbers! 🤩

IMG_7423.JPG

More shots of the ol' Bulldog Mack seen in a yard in the 'Tar Heel' (NC). 😀

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6913.JPG

IMG_7449.JPG

Gettin' kinda hungry, so I'll finish posting pics manana before I head for the race... that leftover roast beef is calling my name from the fridge, lol. Maybe I can post one more round before I bail for the evening... 🤔

IMG_7403.JPG

IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG

IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7417.JPG

IMG_7418.JPG

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7420.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG

IMG_7422.JPG

Remember, I'm using the digital Canon cam to take pics of old paper photographs, so at times there is a ghostly reflection of the Canon cam and my fingers, or just some glare due to angle and lighting, aye? Meh, y'all are hardcore, you can handle it, lol... I'm off to slap together a big ol' plate of primo leftovers! Back manana to post more pics! Cheers! 😎

Okay, let's get this camera card cleared... what do we have today? 🤔

Ah, just the ticket, a lovely paper recycling mill in Snowflake, AZ, lol... 😳

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6945.JPG

A good place to take a blind date... and I mean BLIND, white cane and all, lol. Here's a spillway shot from the dam at Alum Creek Lake, OH, this pic belongs with that marina shot I posted earlier. 😕

IMG_7010.JPG

Here's a tight squeeze on the West Side of Chicago, it wasn't easy putting that 53' wagon back in the corner, lol. 😬

IMG_7437.JPG

IMG_7438.JPG

IMG_7439.JPG

IMG_7440.JPG

AFTER I got in there, some jackhole opened the gate behind my truck, which would've made life easier... 😠

Next, we have Vedauwoo, WY, a magical place... here's a bonus link to the story behind my first visit. 😎

Vision Quest At Vedawoo

IMG_7479.JPG

IMG_7480.JPG

There are more pics of Vedauwoo in this thread: Random outdoor adventure shots... 😁

Howzabout some open road & sky pics? 😀

IMG_7446.JPG

IMG_7588.JPG

A little fuzzy, but here's the Colorado River near Topock, AZ... 😎

IMG_7444.JPG

This one has a ghostly reflection of the Canon cam and my fingers, but I still like the colors... 😬

IMG_7448.JPG

A tall dust devil just north of Las Vegas, NV... 🙄

IMG_7445.JPG

Look closely at the next pic, and you'll see the 'Dancing Gremlin' clouds, lol... 😳

IMG_7447.JPG

Desert flora at the entrance to Kartchner Caverns near Benson, AZ... 🙂

IMG_7442.JPG

IMG_7443.JPG

Clouds in the mountains... 🤔

IMG_7441.JPG

Along the mighty Columbia River... 🤩

IMG_7509.JPG

Philly from the Camden side of the Delaware River... 😒

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7498.JPG

IMG_7499.JPG

Now we go to Philly's waterfront to tour the Moshulu, which has a crazy nautical history: Moshulu 🤩

IMG_7501.JPG

Al's Pier 40 Cheesesteak Shack made the BEST cheesesteaks & grilled Italian sausage & pepper sandwiches! 😃

IMG_7500.JPG

Narrow bridge work in Pennsylvania, lol... 😳

IMG_7491.JPG

Shots of Greensburg, PA, including this driver about to get a ticket (a.k.a. "driving award"). 😢

IMG_7493.JPG

IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

And trees turning color in NE Ohio... 🙂

IMG_7496.JPG

Hmm, what else do we have? 🤔

IMG_7502.JPG

Bridge work... 😒

IMG_7503.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

Dunno why this gal was strolling past the lumber wreck... off-duty nurse, maybe? 😬

IMG_7507.JPG

IMG_7508.JPG

Maybe she just wanted to play "Pickup Stix!" 🤣

IMG_7581.JPG

IMG_7506.JPG

The Mall of America in Minneapolis... before it became Somalianapolis, lol. 😕

IMG_7482.JPG

IMG_7483.JPG

IMG_7484.JPG

I rode all those rides, the logjam ride was probably my favorite, lol... 😎

Hmm, what next? 🤔

IMG_7478.JPG

IMG_7477.JPG

This HUGE oversized rig had about 100 wheels on it, lol... 😳

IMG_7511.JPG

Fuzzy RV wreck shot... gotta love the multiple fluid leaks! 🤪

IMG_7432.JPG

And this one: "DON'T WORRY, OFFICER, I ALWAYS PARK THIS WAY ON THE INTERSTATE!" 🤣

IMG_7434.JPG

Alright, let's visit Fort Hood, TX, once the "Armor Capital of the World!" 😎

IMG_7534.JPG

IMG_7535.JPG

This one looks good for rush hour traffic on the 405, lol... 😁

IMG_7536.JPG

IMG_7537.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

More Fort Hood pics... 😎

IMG_7539.JPG

IMG_7540.JPG

IMG_7541.JPG

IMG_7542.JPG

IMG_7556.JPG

I like this bad boy armored car, PERFECT for late-night liquor store runs in the ghetto, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 😳

IMG_7543.JPG

Looks Russian, lol... but we also have THIS armored car, which is SWEEEEET! Easier to park at the beach too... 😉

IMG_7546.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7554.JPG

This is for when those ghetto hood rats get outta hand, lol... 😱

IMG_7533.JPG

Last edited:
Dang, I'm having too much fun here, lol... but I'm almost done, gotta get ready for that race this afternoon! 😎

IMG_7557.JPG

IMG_7558.JPG

IMG_7547.JPG

Captured Russian T-34? Or..? 🤔

IMG_7545.JPG

A "mule" for hauling stuff short distances... 😒

IMG_7548.JPG

This German field piece looks just right for discouraging door-to-door salesmen, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. 🤣

IMG_7549.JPG

For those pesky Gulf Coast skeeters... 🤩

IMG_7550.JPG

Check the wheels on this old Italian number... no need to worry about these being stolen in the ghetto, lol. 😕

IMG_7551.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

IMG_7553.JPG

Last but not least, two pics which were odd men out, lol... first we have a custom bug screen on a Pete grille, I like the cacti, eagle & snake, 10-4? 😉

IMG_7457.JPG

And a shot of the South Shore Marina on the Great Salt Lake in Utah... nice mountain scenery in the background! 😍

IMG_7486.JPG

Okay, youse H&CL heroes, time for me to get going... hope y'all enjoyed the pics, more trucking shots will be posted here in the future! Gotta erase the camera memory/storage card now and plug in the battery charger! CHEERS!!! 😎

Latest posts

Back