Winter Gardening Tips: Vegetables that Grow in Winter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
For most of the posters on this site, you could write this article, but for the few who may want a refresher, Here goes.

When we think of eating homegrown food during the cold season, we often think of staples such as potatoes squirreled away in the root cellar, or of vegetables like winter squash stashed in a cool, dry place. But many gardeners are discovering the joys of harvesting fresh produce all winter long, which allows for feasts of cold-hardy crops that are just-picked and just right for the time of year. According to Jodi Lew-Smith of High Mowing Seeds in Wolcott, Vermont, the seed-buying season used to be January, February, and March. “Now there’s also a surge in June, July, August, and into September for fall-planted crops,” she says. Eating from the garden is just too pleasant to give up simply because the temperature — and the snow — may have fallen.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/org...8Ex6aikLJuPTyGbORUs0z_v4Qo6M1TPGr19fAM0CV58nA

Thanks for posting this, I need to read it and see what I may be able to grow here in the high desert... I like the idea of making this land more productive. I've learned that things will grow here once the soil has been amended... dunno which crops will survive hard frosts, hopefully the article has some info in that regard. :rolleyes:

Since I fail at gardening the rest of the year, I want to try with daikon radish, tatsoi, kale, bok choy and carrots. Unfortunately, even as dry as it has been, I've been finding random small snails around near the porch and patio.
This evening with having corn on the cob, which wasn't as good as Silver Queen from Maryland's Eastern Shore, it made me really miss all the produce stands and independent big growers we had to choose from there.

Latest posts

Back