Winter Squash

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Autumn Acorn Blend Squash
Baby Blue Hubbard Winter Squash
Burgess Buttercup Winter Squash
Casperita Hybrid Pumpkin
Celestial Scallop Blend Summer Squash
Chucky Hybrid Pie Pumpkin
Ebony Acorn Winter Squash
Guatemalan Blue Banana Squash
Jung Mooregold Winter Squash
Jung Radish Patch Blend
Jung Summer Medley Squash
Kakai Pumpkin
Red October Hybrid Squash

None of those varities. But I typically grow Waltham Butternut and Table Queen Acorn winter squashes most every year. Spahgetti squash most years. Buttercup and hubbard from time to time. straightneck Summer squash and zucinni squash some years. The winter squashes all grow well and require very little input after planting until harvest. I still have a few butternuts in the basement from last fall. Probably the best storage crops there is.

I grew Butternut once & a few hills of Acorn, about ten years ago.
They grew well & I had Butternut still in march of the following Spring.
But that is all I have planted, so with new seeds, I will learn by doing.

I'm growing the Table Queen acorn for the first time this year along with a Banana squash, but have no idea what variety it is. A friends husband saw it growing wild along the woods at a truck stop. He picked a couple and brought them home to his wife. I also have the St Neck yellow, zucchini, patty, spaghetti, cushaw, and butternut. I still have a couple of the butternut in my pantry from last year.

We don't grow hybrids at all. We use heirloom plants so we don't have to buy new plants or seeds every year. We grow the same plant from the seeds of the previous season each year. It took me a while to get my wife to understand but when she planted seeds from one of her hybrid plants and came up with some of the most worthless crops ever she understood.
Hybrids are plants that are crossbred for particular traits and the seeds they produce don't stay hybrid - they go back to the original source plants or random crosses between the source plants. All heirloom plants are stable and they don't change from the source plants unless there is a random genetic change. They do tend to acclimate to the weather conditions that they grow in but they remain the same plant. (I have never experienced a random genetic change but I know it is possible no matter how unlikely.

We don't grow hybrids at all. We use heirloom plants so we don't have to buy new plants or seeds every year. We grow the same plant from the seeds of the previous season each year. It took me a while to get my wife to understand but when she planted seeds from one of her hybrid plants and came up with some of the most worthless crops ever she understood.
Hybrids are plants that are crossbred for particular traits and the seeds they produce don't stay hybrid - they go back to the original source plants or random crosses between the source plants. All heirloom plants are stable and they don't change from the source plants unless there is a random genetic change. They do tend to acclimate to the weather conditions that they grow in but they remain the same plant. (I have never experienced a random genetic change but I know it is possible no matter how unlikely.

Only way to go ,imo.:thumbs up:

No some hybrids are crossed by man & all heirloom are hybrids, some hybrids are in the wild it is impossible to grow a vegetable that has not been crossed.
But believe the white lie, if it makes you sleep better.
Some of the listed squash are old, maybe ever so called non-hybrid as heirloom.

Latest posts

Back