Winter this year

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1596586542925.png

I saw my first woolly worm this winter!

From the Foxfire #1 book... The Woolly Worm tells of a bad winter if:

1) he has a heavy coat

2) the black band is wide (the more black than brown he is, and/or the wider the back stripe, the worse the winter)

3) if you see him crawling before the first frost

Below... My photo taken this morning... Looks like I'm in for a very bad winter.

1) I've never seen a woolly worm with a coat this heavy.

2) This one is completely black... I've never seen one completely black before. I don't know if you can see it but there are hints of orange right next to his skin under the black fuzz.

3) I haven't had a frost yet...

The critters and plants are predicting a very, very bad winter for me. The signs also say I will get one heavy snow and one lite snow.

I don't even get a snow that sticks every winter, maybe a flurry or two. I might get a 3 or 4 inch snow once every 3 or 4 years. The bottom photo is the last big snow I got maybe 4 inches. It melted in 36hrs.

Lets see if our ancestors knew what they were talking about when it comes to weather signs from nature! I'm betting they do.

I haven’t seen any fuzzy caterpillars yet (woolly bear - Pyrrharctia isabella). I’ll let you know when I do. Corn has extra husks though, I noticed that when my sweetcorn started getting ready...

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/caterpillars-and-a-rough-winter-333
About winter… It took me a few days to remember where the details of the fuzzy caterpillar could be found. I found them in the 1st FoxFire book. I dug out my copy today and re-read the “weather signs” section.

They list 17 different indications from animals… @Terri9630 #10-Wild hogs gather sticks, straw and shucks to make a bed. 2 indications from this section I learned from family as a child.

They list 13 different indications from insects with quite a bit about the woolly worm. I knew a little about the woolly worm and ant beds being built taller. I always check fireant beds in late September/early October. Ant beds are a very reliable indication of the winter to come.

They list 20 different indications from plant life. From family I knew several of these. Especially corn, it has a lot to tell about the coming winter.

I had read the foxfire books but is been decades. I actually have several of them I got at yard sales over the years.

Its good to go back and read some of this old knowledge.

Wolly Catapillar (3) sm.JPG

Wolly Catapillar (3) sma.jpg

Well this is the prediction from the Farmers' Almanac:

ANNUAL WEATHER SUMMARY
NOVEMBER 2020 TO OCTOBER 2021

Winter temperatures will be well above normal, on average, with the coldest periods in mid-December, from late December into early January, and in late February. Precipitation will be below normal, with snowfall below normal in most places. The snowiest periods will be in mid-November, early to mid-December, and mid-February. April and May temperatures will be above normal in the north and below normal in the south, with below-normal rain. Summer will be cooler and drier than normal, with the hottest periods in early July and mid-August. September and October will bring below-normal temperatures and rainfall.

I have lived here long enough to know to not even try to predict anything. I have seen four seasons in one day, and temperature swings of 50-80 degrees are not uncommon. I know a lot of people in a lot of places use the phrase, but if you don't like the weather here wait 15 minutes, and it will change.

Ah come on PopPop. Its nice up in Deer Lodge.
LOL! Well, it's not bad now. But come January or so, I'm going to be wishing I was in AZ looking at cactus blossoms. :)

In all seriousness, if I found a place I would rather be that I could afford, I'm not that attached to this place that I wouldn't move. So far, though, places I'd rather be are out of my price league. So, I make the best of what I have. And it's not so bad. Wish I had the warmth of AZ in the winter and the rich soil of PA. Can't afford to go either place. Prices are high in the valley around Phoenix and Lancaster county PA can't get done raising property taxes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back