Winter this year

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're hoping to get plenty of rain and snow in the mountains above our place to make sure the watershed that supplies our spring is enough to last throughout the next summer as this past winter we didn't get enough rain and snow and our spring overflow is about half of what it should be.

1595624331466.png

All right phideaux, down boy! go to your corner.
You can come back 6 days before Christmas. :mad:

As I understand it winter should be cooler than normal and last longer. We still have time; get those gas mowers, SUV's and coal forges going. We need to add a bit of CO2 to the atmosphere.

This'll be my third year here in southern Idaho. The last two were pretty much alike: two or three snowfalls, most of which lasted just for a couple of days before melting. Very cold (for me, anyway; we had a week last winter where it didn't get above freezing for four days and nights). Little precip. The locals are predicting the same.

I'm hoping it stays that way; I'd like a long, mild winter so I'll have time to build some raised beds and a couple of cold frames and get a good start on my seedlings when spring comes.

Spring was late, summer was late so I'm hoping winter will be late. We got a late start on the garden because we were building the high tunnel(greenhouse). I've never had one before so I don't know how long my plants will survive when it gets cold.

We're so dry here, that we're going to need snow unless it turns out to be a very wet fall. I personally could do without the snow, but the farmers are going to need the moisture. They've got enough problems without drought on top of it all...

So long as it stays above 20° and the wind doesn't blow, I'm happy. But I live in Iowa so it will probably be butt cold and windy as sin, all winter long...

Our prayers are for good rains and snow in the surrounding mountains, that's always water for the coming year, the past winter was way too mild and our spring overflow is half of what it normally is at this time of year and this is rather concerning. On the other hand this year our nights have been on the cool side, which is a bit unusual. I'm thinking we may be in for a colder winter.

Flip a coin.
I live in Missouri.
Mother Nature will change her mind several times in a day.

I can attest to that. :thumbs: Since I am only two miles from work, I really don't care. Assuming we are back working in the office by that time.

I don't like Winter. I don't like the cold, and the precipitation. I don't like wearing heavy clothing and coats. Mostly I don't like driving in the snow. A very short commute makes it a little more palatable.

I enjoy all four seasons. I'm still in good enough shape that I can shovel snow. I like driving in the snow but not with most other drivers.
The winter will be as it should be just as the spring, summer and fall will. It may not be what I prefer but that's the thing about weather - it really doesn't care what I want, it goes its own way. People should be more like that. :)

Winter? Temps may drop below 40°F for a few days in December and mosquitos will vanish until February.
I'll emerge from hibernation when the temp gets above 72°F, also in February :p.

P.S. We have had rain everyday for the last 2 weeks. For those that crave rainfall, that's how you grow mold and mud.;) Wanna buy some? Better get it before the 99°F weeks in August bake it to a nice flaky crust.:oops:

Winter? Temps may drop below 40°F for a few days in December and mosquitos will vanish until February.
I'll emerge from hibernation when the temp gets above 72°F, also in February :p.

P.S. We have had rain everyday for the last 2 weeks. For those that crave rainfall, that's how you grow mold and mud.;) Wanna buy some? Better get it before the 99°F weeks in August bake it to a nice flaky crust.:oops:
Nah!
It's raining here finally.
Nice gentle rain so far, but we had thunderstorms last night.

We could get anything here. The mountain makes for strange weather. It can snow 2-3 inches 5 miles down the Valley and we just get a dusting.
Storm can be coming right at us but hits the mountain and splits in 2 and goes right around us

I like cold and cool weather best of all. Hate ice storms but don't mind the snow
We had a very cold winter a couple of years back where it was so cold that it hurt to breathe the air when you were outside. I had to breathe thru my scarf

Hope we get precip doesn't matter what kind as we're getting lower on the water table now. Need to build it back up

We have had rain everyday for the last 2 weeks. For those that crave rainfall, that's how you grow mold and mud.;) Wanna buy some?
I forgot the pic.
Everything outdoors here:
IMG_20200727_144800.jpg

Got rain?:p

Last edited:
Pigs gather sticks? What for I wonder.

About winter… It took me a few days to remember where the details of the fuzzy caterpillar could be found. I found them in the 1st FoxFire book. I dug out my copy today and re-read the “weather signs” section.

They list 17 different indications from animals… @Terri9630 #10-Wild hogs gather sticks, straw and shucks to make a bed. 2 indications from this section I learned from family as a child.

They list 13 different indications from insects with quite a bit about the woolly worm. I knew a little about the woolly worm and ant beds being built taller. I always check fireant beds in late September/early October. Ant beds are a very reliable indication of the winter to come.

They list 20 different indications from plant life. From family I knew several of these. Especially corn, it has a lot to tell about the coming winter.

I had read the foxfire books but is been decades. I actually have several of them I got at yard sales over the years.

Its good to go back and read some of this old knowledge.

@Supervisor42 I'll play along...
View attachment 47153
Got drought? This is the grass where I live...
I'll make a deal.
You scrub all the green scum off of everything down here, and I'll mow your lawn.
Deal?
High-five.gif
(J/K)
Don't worry, when August arrives, we will have 95° days for weeks on end and everything will bake.
Maybe hold my hand when I open the electric bills for the A/C?
bow.gif

Back