Winterizing Your Bug-Out Bag

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
I just keep a secondary bag with cold weather gear.

https://beansbulletsbandagesandyou.com/bullets/2020/01/20/winterizing-bug-out-bag/

Winterizing Your Bug-Out Bag

Posted on January 20, 2020 by Spice

The bug-out bag is a prepper standard — for excellent reasons. There are many situations that can be made a lot better by being able to grab a well-stocked bag as you head out the door. But what constitutes “well-stocked”? If you live in a place with seasons, being well-stocked this time of year means your bug-out bag has been winterized.

Winterizing in places that get ice
When you’re chopping an inch of ice off of sidewalks, as I was this morning, you have plenty of time to think. I got to thinking about how much more dangerous and miserable my outside work would be today if I hadn’t had ice cleats for my boots. And if I had to bug out on foot, with the glitter of hard ice coating every visible surface? I’d be lucky to make it half a mile without a fall, particularly if wearing a pack. (Those throw your balance off, if you haven’t hiked in yours. Try it and see!)

Various foot solutions can make you safer if you have to travel on ice. Grippy soles with plenty of tread help to a degree. You’ll probably be ok on snow, but it won’t be enough on hard ice. Hard ice can be frozen water crossings, frozen puddles hidden under a bit of snow (it only takes one step to fall after all), or every step after freezing rain.

Crampons are the best dedicated ice solution. I haven’t used them; but from the look of them I wouldn’t use them on mixed terrain. Kicking firm steps into a glacier, Yes! Walking across a parking lot that has just a skin of ice? No thanks.

LEV.jpg

Crampons are better suited to climbing glaciers than bugging out.

My preferred answer is removable cleats. I have a set like the one shown below; they made my time on the hard ice slip-free. They’re easy on/off so you don’t wreck floors with them. Mine weigh only ounces and take up little space in my bag. The brand called YakTrax is very well thought of and doesn’t look hard on floors, but I haven’t tried them myself. (We have no sponsor deals; so we only mention and link things to be helpful to you, not the companies.)

6304_bottom_zoom.jpg

Not much weight, not much space, not much money, a whole lot of grip on ice.

Winterizing for temperature
We all know layers are warmer than one bulky garment, right? Also more adaptable to different conditions. Moisture wicking underlayers with a good percentage of wool are The Bomb. Between moving through snow and sweating on the vigorous parts, it’s hard to stay fully dry when outside in the winter. Fabrics that deal well with that are essential.

Remember the tights, and pack pants loose enough to let the tights be underneath. It makes a surprising amount of difference, I find.

Waterproof to the ankle boots are important. Even if it’s all frozen stuff, some will stick to the boot and your foot heat will melt it. Wet feet are far more likely to misplace toes (frostbite).

Good accessories are important. Don’t ask me about fashion, but gloves that you can still put on, stay warm in, and take off when they’re wet? Priceless. Don’t forget ear and head protection and socks either.

Winterizing chem packs
In normal living, I virtually never use the chemical hand/foot warmers. They’re wasteful, honestly. That said, I have them in my winter bags. There are times when hand dexterity save lives. Avoiding frostbite is also a favorite pastime of mine.

273814.jpg

These little things might save fingers or toes on a bad day.

Make space for winterizing by un-summerizing
I wouldn’t consider any summer bag complete without insect repellents; but Out They Go when I need room for cleats and spare tights. Head net for insects, take a vacation on the closet shelf. Extra water is the biggest weight drop.

One other important point: Unless your water bottle filter is completely dry, take it out before taking the bag out to freeze. Some filters are ruined by freezing — and worse, invisibly ruined. Other methods such as purification tablets, boiling, and bleach still work. I love my bottles, so I do leave them in after thorough drying. I plan that if I need them, I start carrying them inside my outer layer of clothes to prevent freezing.

I keep several hand warmers packed, along with a couple more layers and more high fat foods. I keep my water in a cooler winter and summer. Keeps sunlight off of it and moderates the temps to some degree. The Yaxtrax would be a godsend if you are having to walk on much ice at all., I'm talking 1/4" or less. You will be more sure footed than anyone without them for sure.

Back