Wonder if it exists: weatherproof, easy to use, external sound monitoring system.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerindel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Like many of you I imagine, I live in a place that is very naturally quiet. Sound is one of the best ways I have of monitoring my area, as the dense trees make it hard to see far, but I can hear everything for a long ways as there is very little background noise. If I hear a car, its a car on MY road, if I hear someone talking, its on my property.

The problem is, I have walls two feet thick and inside my house, I can't hear anything that is going on outside. You could drive up to my front door and I wouldn't know it (well, except for my alarms, cameras, etc).

What I am wondering if there is a 'plug and play' system that I can set up to pick up, and possibly amplify, outside sounds that I can leave on 24/7 like a security camera that just passively transmits the outside noise, to the inside of my house.

This sensor could be used to trigger a microphone that amplifies sound and outputs that sound through a speaker in your house:

https://serverscheck.com/sensors/sensor_sound_security.asp
It is designed for indoors, but you could build a weatherproof enclosure. It has user adjusted sensitivity and can be set to trigger down at 10 dB (which is very, very quiet).

I just put in an outside camera that has sound.
It is battery powered and has a hub that connects to my Wi-Fi router with a cat 5 cable. The camera is wireless and I don't have to plug it in. It will be interesting to see how long the battery lasts. I'm probably going to add a solar cell so I don't have to charge the battery.
I bought mine at home depot and it came with an SD card. Price was $77.
I have 4 Wyze cameras and they all work great and you can't beat the price.
The camera has to be within range of your WiFi.

WYZE Cam Outdoor Starter Bundle (Includes Base Station and 1 Camera), 1080p HD Indoor/Outdoor Wire-Free Smart Home Camera with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa & Google Assistant, white

I still can't post links to Amazon for some strange reason.

I guess nobody on here can fix that problem so you'll have to search for the camera.

The only thing I can think of is if you can put one of these under a covered porch outside to keep it out of the rain, the description says it comes with two wall power adapters so you wouldn’t have to change batteries if you had an outside power source.

This is the best suggestion so far.

I already have a camera system, without sound, that I'm pretty happy with as its a wired system with no subscription service, just a home server.

Something like a baby monitor would be fine, just hoping for a more....ruggedized version if such a thing exists.

I just put in an outside camera that has sound.
It is battery powered and has a hub that connects to my Wi-Fi router with a cat 5 cable. The camera is wireless and I don't have to plug it in. It will be interesting to see how long the battery lasts. I'm probably going to add a solar cell so I don't have to charge the battery.
I bought mine at home depot and it came with an SD card. Price was $77.
I have 4 Wyze cameras and they all work great and you can't beat the price.
The camera has to be within range of your WiFi.

WYZE Cam Outdoor Starter Bundle (Includes Base Station and 1 Camera), 1080p HD Indoor/Outdoor Wire-Free Smart Home Camera with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa & Google Assistant, white

I still can't post links to Amazon for some strange reason.

I guess nobody on here can fix that problem so you'll have to search for the camera.

..a 'plug and play' system that I can set up to pick up, and possibly amplify, outside sounds that I can leave on 24/7 like a security camera that just passively transmits the outside noise, to the inside of my house.

Well.. Sounds like (heh..) you don't mind a 'hardwired' system? (vs wireless..) If so (and 'hearing' Clear - and both far and wide, in 360˚ - is Important to ya..) then I'd personally suggest going with a 'Pro-grade' Omnidirectional Mic / Audio I/O device, ie:

- Best Omni-Mic (for the bux - a Very close second, performance-wise, to the 'Top of the line' Sennheiser (the MKH8020 - Best out there) which is north of $1K (!) so probably a non-starter..) will be the Audio-Technica AT 4022: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...a-at4022-small-diaphragm-condenser-microphone
..Why you want something like this (vs the 'baby monitors') is that a) Their freq. response is pretty 'low-end', and the Mics in them will be rather 'directional' (ie: a 'Cardioid' mic, where the sound-gathering field is pretty wide, but.. Fairly 'blind' to the rear..) whereas an Omnidirectional mic will pick up, Everywhere, just as it's name suggests.. And that Mic, in particular, will pick up nearly Everything (it's one of the 'low-end Pro'-popular ones for 'field recordings' by Foley artists / samplers, etc..) and Very clearly..

..and b) a Hardwired-mic means no 'local power' to deal with (for those 'Monitors' - either a hassle with batts. or AC + a 'wall wart' adapter, etc, out-to where you'd want to put them..)..Since I'd imagine that the ideal spot would be 'Top of the Tower', pointed in the general direction of the 'Inlets' to the inner-core, there, and thus, the 'cable run' would certainly be well under 100', tops, getting an 'XLR' (mic-cable) for that run should also be pretty-economical (less than 'running power' out to the baby-monitor, etc)

- Then, a receiver / Audio I/O device, ie: www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarSG3--focusrite-scarlett-solo-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface (PS - pretty much about the same pricing on Amazon, et al, but at least with SW, I can parse the Links.. :rolleyes: which Will supply the '48V Phantom Power' that the Mic needs, and Output can be to a pair of 'powered speakers', or to your Home-stereo Amp / or the Mac (or even iPad :cool: Input, via USB, there, where you can record / edit / enhance, etc, all kinds of time-sucking fun stuff.. ;)

IF, however, you want to go 'further out', Away from the 'inner core', well.. I also have some 'Pro-grade Wireless T/R suggestions' (ie: https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-tri-band-wireless-audio-adapter and + the Mic, of course..) but then you have to Run Power to that Transmitter, and other considerations.. But, I'll only expand on that if you "need" to go wireless, vs the 'solider' wired-solution, above.

Lastly, well.. Sure, this is all a 'bit pricey', so.. Not sure how This Mic would work: (Amazon-search Item B07CG5KMD2 if that link doesn't parse..) but it purports to be more 'designed for this-type of an application. However, the down-side is, a) Power to it (12V DC) and b) Doubt it will be Anywhere's Near as sensitive / long-range-reaching as the Mic, above..

..Then again, I suppose you could 'buy 4x of those' / share Power off One 'powerpack' (with enough current for all 4) and Make an 'Omnidirectional pod', pointing one in each cardinal direction, but.. Then, too, you're into 4x 'line-ins' (and would have to buy the 'next model or two, Up' with that Input device, that can take-in 4x Line-Inputs) + the adapters from those 'RCA' connectors > 1/4" In, etc.. So, what you might "save" on the First idea - you might blow in time / complexity, etc, etc..

That's just my verbose .02 :)
jd

Latest posts

Back