wood carving

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There was a time I was a avid wood carver. I'm more into gunstocks, handles and misc now days.

Here's some of my carvings. The bearded hillbilly had a pipe at one time, need to carve a new one.

NvFbD7kl.jpg

here's a pulled birch broom I carved. The Cree would carve these to sweep their lodges out.

ircF7cql.jpg

TEW4gxRl.jpg

04YqSFyl.jpg

We call that a fire starter... :)

There was a time I was a avid wood carver. I'm more into gunstocks, handles and misc now days.

Here's some of my carvings. The bearded hillbilly had a pipe at one time, need to carve a new one.

NvFbD7kl.jpg

I used to carve quite a bit but I have not done much in the past 30 years or so. I am not sure where The Princess has deployed all of my carvings, but these are the few I can find quickly.

Warning: there is a story that goes with each.

20201010_153633[1].jpg

"Tree of Life" was carved as a gift for The Princess.

20201010_153840[1].jpg

20201010_153847[1].jpg

"Ear Infection"

I found a tortured piece of drift wood on the shore of Lake Erie that I think is grape vine. After a severe ear infection where I would have chewed out my ear if I could have reached it, I was inspired to do my impression of one of the levels of hell as described in Dante's Inferno. It was the layer where the sinners had to hide under molten tar and when the rose up demons ripped them apart with pitch forks. I cut off the two ends of the drift wood to represent rock formations and the center was used to carve the tortured sole.

20201010_153911[1].jpg

20201010_153916[1].jpg

"Land Ahoy!"
There used to be a waving flag at the top of the mast but my son liked taking my carvings into kindergarten for show and tell and the flag did not survive being dropped. I could have glued it back on but when I finished a carving I was done with it and I did not care to bother with that. The good news was my son liked it/them enough to bring into to school.

20201010_154046[1].jpg

20201010_154055[1].jpg

20201010_154104[1].jpg

"On the Edge"

Was an experiment in using a more rough carving style inspired by Van Gough. I limited my work to what I could do with just a Dremel tool and did not move to hand tools or sanding. If it is not obvious it is a knight cornered on a cliff by a dragon wielding a septar (sp?).

20201010_154123[1].jpg

20201010_154128[1].jpg

"The King's Wine is Late"

Was inspired by The Princess and suffered from Show and Tell. She used to hold a goblet and had a platform but those are long gone.

Carving was great way to keep myself entertained and let express ideas that were stuck in my head. Since then I have filled that void with remodeling and other projects that keep me busy. When I get to the final phase of The Hobbit Hole I am building for The Princess, I plan to include many relief carvings in the wood work.

Take care,

Ben

I love to carve and work in wood, antler and bone.
Moose Carving 1.jpg

Here is a moose I did several years ago since I just realized I have no pics of recent work. I need to correct this.

Moose carving 2.jpg

Here is a grizzly I carved after the moose.

This is why I'm always looking for antlers. LOL!
Teaching myself scrimshaw currently.

Dale

I have a new CNC wood carving machine in my shop. Does that count? :)
That is some impressive carvings. I have no aptitude for carving so I'll leave it to the computer.
For myself...

Carving differs from build using wood in that instead of putting things together to achieve the goal, it is a matter of taking away what should not be there. Sometimes the final figures changes as the work proceeds and the material reveals hidden features. The scepter held by the dragon is an example. I discovered a knot in the wood that suggested adding the scepter. A bit of a treasure hunt sometimes.

Ben

Ben, What did you see if you don't mind me asking. I have ravens here at the house and have always loved hearing them. I intend to include them in a painting this winter.

Dale
It was the crow/raven carving. A crow flew past my porch window and looked exactly like that carving.

Ben

Back