Wood gas generator.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My dad talked a lot about all the trucks they ran on 'producer gas' back in Germany at the end of WWII. Yes, it works :thumbs: .
Same thing:
Wiki: Wood gas vehicles were used during World War II as a consequence of the rationing of fossil fuels. In Germany alone, around 500,000 "producer gas" vehicles were in use at the end of the war. Trucks, buses, tractors, motorcycles, ships, and trains were equipped with a wood gasification unit. In 1942, when wood gas had not yet reached the height of its popularity, there were about 73,000 wood gas vehicles in Sweden, 65,000 in France, 10,000 in Denmark, and almost 8,000 in Switzerland. In 1944, Finland had 43,000 "woodmobiles", of which 30,000 were buses and trucks, 7,000 private vehicles, 4,000 tractors and 600 boats.

After watching the first five minutes of that first video, the following words burst into my head:

"Danger Will Robinson. Danger! Danger!"

This gasification looks like a cool process. But IMHO, it's just not a process that dufus'es like me should get anywhere near. It reminds me of when I was up at my brother-in-laws farm in Montana. He was doing something with his big 'ol tractor. And I'm standing like 50 yards away. He hollered for me to come over, but I declined. I saw that spinning thing on the back. And I've seen those "farm accident" videos. No way I'm getting near that killer machine. I'd be the same way around a home built gasifier unit. 'cept I'd be way more than 50 yards away. These "Hey y'all, watch this" contraptions just aren't safe for us city-boys.

Your tax dollars at work!
== ==
It doesn't surprise me FEMA and other alphabet agencies have studied, published ...how to... papers on this and many other things that may, will be useful to good success by many people.. However I am somewhat surprised they are letting info like this be available to the public...
KnowwhatImean.... ??

Mother Earth news used to be super proponents of Alt-fuels, I'm betting somebody saved that stuff!
I have the issue of Mother Earth News that shows how to build a wood gasifier, they had filters, if I remember right they used milk filters, but even then the gases were very dirty, but it worked and one of the things they ran was an old Chey pickup with a six banger, they mounted the gasifier in the bed. I'll have to see if I can find the article, that is if the mice haven't eaten the magazine up.

I read that one as a kid! :D
Here are a few I dredged up from the hippy-net:

Attachments

• fema.woodgas.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
  • fema_plans_wood gas.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Folder-Wood-Gas-.pdf
    11.5 MB · Views: 0
  • gassyfier.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • wood gas generator.pdf
    263.8 KB · Views: 0
I have the issue of Mother Earth News that shows how to build a wood gasifier, they had filters, if I remember right they used milk filters, but even then the gases were very dirty, but it worked and one of the things they ran was an old Chey pickup with a six banger, they mounted the gasifier in the bed. I'll have to see if I can find the article, that is if the mice haven't eaten the magazine up.
Which issue is it? I may have it.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-living/green-transportation/wood-gas-truck-zmaz81mjzraw/
We were pleased to report in “Homemade Motor Fuel Through Wood Gasification” that our experiments concerning the use of wood scraps for vehicle motor fuel showed promise. But little did we realize, at that time, just how well the unlikely form of “solid” energy would work in a “liquid” world.

We’ve come up with an effective alternative fuel power system with a fair amount of cutting and welding. Not only does our wood gas truck move down the road as smoothly and reliably as any conventionally powered automobile, it does so at zero fuel cost!

A Straightforward Process​

Here’s how the system works: Wood scraps (we use chunks that are larger than sawdust or shavings, but smaller than a 6″ length of 2 X 4) are contained in a modified hot water tank, and rest on a cone-shaped, cast-refractory hearth. The recycled vessel is airtight except for a spring-loaded and sealed fill lid, a capped lighting aperture, and an inlet port (the last is simply a two-inch brass swing check valve, which allows the “draw” created by the engine to pull controlled amounts of air into the firebox).

Incoming “atmosphere” is directed through a series of holes drilled into one shoulder of a discarded wheel rim (which is girdled with a circular band of strap metal and fastened to the bottom of the tank), and supports combustion in the vicinity of the hearth. As the fuel in that area burns, it consumes the oxygen in the air — creating carbon dioxide and water vapor — and forms a bed of glowing charcoal, which collects on a grate suspended from chains several inches below the hearth assembly. (Simultaneously, a heat-induced “decomposition” zone is created right above the combustion region, driving gases from, and carbonizing, the wood prior to its incineration.)

069-wood-gas-truck-diagram-2-274x300.jpg

Image by MOTHER EARTH NEWS staff
The mixture of CO2 and moisture — in addition to some creosote–is then drawn through a “choker” (positioned between the hearth and the charcoal grate) and forced into the embers at the lower part of the tank before leaving the gasifier. The choke serves as an air restricter which blends the various vapors and directs them through the glowing coals, where they’re reduced to the combustible gases carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and — in small amounts — methane. The final product also contains a good deal of nitrogen, along with some unconverted CO 2 and traces of tar and ash.

The carbon dioxide and nitrogen are inert, and such non-fuels pose no threat to the powerplant. However, the tar and ash must be removed from the gas or they may produce deposits, possibly resulting in engine damage. So, to clean the fuel, the “smoke” is first routed through a liquid-cooled “densifier” (a multitubed heat exchanger surrounded by a water jacket and plumbed into a junk automobile air conditioning condenser that’s mounted in front of the existing radiator), which precipitates moisture and residue from the gas. Then it passes on to a tubular filter that’s [1] packed with strands of commercial air conditioning filament, woven transport padding, or a similar material that won’t disintegrate, rust, or burn, and [2] equipped with perforated flame traps at its entrance and its exit.

The final strainer catches the remnants of ash and tar in the gaseous fuel, which then travels through a slightly bowed horizontal tube (where most of the little remaining moisture is trapped) and on into the engine.

(There is more to the article.)

I have a question. Who here thinks they could build a wood gasifier that works?

Many years ago I tried to make a methane producing set up to help a student with a science fair project. It was a fail. I saw Engineer 775's video a few years ago and have been interested, but I really lack the ability to make one.

Many years ago I tried to make a methane producing set up to help a student with a science fair project. It was a fail. I saw Engineer 775's video a few years ago and have been interested, but I really lack the ability to make one.
Not a chance in hell for me! I couldn't even build one that doesn't work.
Since I like both of you guys, I'm asking sincerely, how do you screw up a barrel and 4 brass fittings?
I had a little bit of trouble storing the gas since I was using old inner tubes, but I'm told a modified tire pump and the addition of a pressure seal really help!

Since I like both of you guys, I'm asking sincerely, how do you screw up a barrel and 4 brass fittings?
I had a little bit of trouble storing the gas since I was using old inner tubes, but I'm told a modified tire pump and the addition of a pressure seal really help!
I have had a big interest in producing fuel for decades. I just know I have no idea to get started, and I'd bet it is a big initial investment. I think it would be a good investment, and if someone could and would make them, worth it in the long term. This is where a group of people working together in a community could help each other out, if there was an engineer who could and would put one together to benefit the group while others do other aspects of life.

Sure, not a problem. People have been building them for almost 100yrs now. Especially in europe during and after ww2. Gasoline was in very short supply and wood gas vehicles were common. A relative of mine who fought in europe... his unit commandeered a truck in a small german village. Much to the relief of the villagers they had to leave it behind because it ran on wood gas. No one in his unit could operate it.

Have you read the pdf file I posted above? Not only is the technology viable it’s fairly cheap. The pdf even has a list of parts. Building one isn’t that difficult.
------------------------------------

Here is another thread on alternative fuels if you are interested. It's a cell to produce hydrogen/oxygen gas from water. It is also fairly cheap to build

I built one then fed that gas into my truck engine. It increased my fuel mileage by about 20%. I ran the unit for 2 years, with limitations. The design I used was very simple and cheap but it had flaws. Thermal issues to be exact, it tended to over heat after about 15min. It would pull more and more current (amps) as it got hotter and hotter. I built a current limiting circuit to turn off the cell at a certain point.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/hydroxy-gas.15169/

Cell Op (2)a.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back