Wood stove tax credit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Looks like another way to keep your umbilical cord attached to the government. First by encouraging you to purchase a source of heat that is dependent upon the grid being up as well as the industrial system to be functional for a source of factory-made pellets, as well as keeping you a part of the documented system with the credits and resulting tax/income trail of data. Also discourages alternate sources of heat that are not "certified".

Firewood is essentially free with your input of labor, compare this to needing pellets to have heat.

I have a pellet stove and I love it.
I don't have a source for firewood except to buy a permit and drive 75 to 100 miles one way and compete with all the other woodcutters in the mountains or buy wood.
Wood is $250 to $400 a cord and up.
Last winter we burnt just over a ton of pellets at $180 a ton so the cost to heat my house all winter was less than $250. No cutting, splitting, or stacking. If the house gets hot I just turn it off. I can add a thermostat but I don't really need one.
As I get older manual labor becomes more of a problem and firewood is a labor-intensive job.
The tax credit is available for ALL wood heat that's 75% or more efficient.
In some places, the electric company will give you a rebate on electric heat. Might be worth checking out.

Yes, firewood is expensive if you buy it. I've been buying wood from a local woodcutter for the past several years, being too old now (74) to trust myself cutting trees down etc. I'd prefer supporting a local, with cash, over plugging into the system. Living off-grid, rebates aren't applicable here, nor are tax credits on my old stove bought at a yard sale. Wood around here costs about $140 for rounds, $160 split, per cord, juniper & lodgepole. Takes about 4 cords per year to heat my cabin, as the water heater is wood-heated so a fire is needed nearly year-round, at least in the mornings.

Yes, firewood is expensive if you buy it. I've been buying wood from a local woodcutter for the past several years, being too old now (74) to trust myself cutting trees down etc. I'd prefer supporting a local, with cash, over plugging into the system. Living off-grid, rebates aren't applicable here, nor are tax credits on my old stove bought at a yard sale. Wood around here costs about $140 for rounds, $160 split, per cord, juniper & lodgepole. Takes about 4 cords per year to heat my cabin, as the water heater is wood-heated so a fire is needed nearly year-round, at least in the mornings.
We use to have a wood fired water heater. When it burned out after 8 years I started looking for other ways that were less labor intensive. What I came up with were DC hot water heater elements. They can run directly off solar panels with or without a thermostat, I recommend the thermostat it's only another $10. The elements screw in any standard water heater.

This is similar to the one we are using.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273069621801?hash=item3f9437c229:g:p4UAAOSwYBRbLWR5
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2733006759...ddaLF%2FJuK0RA4XMmg0|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

that is fascinating, thank you for posting this.

also, for seniors, low income, check your states programs, here in CO there is one called LEAP, if you heat your home with only wood stove there is some kind of rebate for firewood costs. differetn states might have a differetn name. i found out i qualified---i only heat with a wood stove in the LR and try each year to buy some wood thru the summer when i can, i go thru 5-6 cords easy depending on the type of wood i can get. you never know the rebate, but asnything can help ya know?

I buy my wood as well. Why cut down my trees when I can pay a pretty small amount for someone else to cut down theirs? Generally pay $150 a cord for fir and larch.

And as all-ready noted, thats money right into actual tool wielding folks in the local economy...who very likely don't pay taxes on it, so win win.

In Washington, you cannot sell, trade, or give away an uncertified wood stove.
Also, wood-fired boilers/water heaters are illegal in this state.
According to the state dept. of ecology, wood smoke is one of the main sources of air pollution in Washington. I wonder if the millions of cars contribute?

No wonder so many people are moving here from across the (western) border.

Last edited:
This morning I can't see my next-door neighbor due to the ongoing thick smoke from a forest fire 150 miles away. It's been this way for nearly a month now. Hard to get interested in smog control for cars and efficiency certificates for wood stoves in this atmosphere. At 477,000+ acres, this one fire probably is producing more smoke than all of the wood stoves on the planet could put out in a year.

In Washington, you cannot sell, trade, or give away an uncertified wood stove.
Also, wood-fired boilers/water heaters are illegal in this state.
According to the state dept. of ecology, wood smoke is one of the main sources of air pollution in Washington. I wonder if the millions of cars contribute?
My question to this is, what about wild fire smoke, volcanoes and the turpentine vapors that fir and pine trees evaporate into the air causing the air to have a blue tint, so EPA, how do you put a catalytic converter on those things?

My question to this is, what about wild fire smoke, volcanoes and the turpentine vapors that fir and pine trees evaporate into the air causing the air to have a blue tint, so EPA, how do you put a catalytic converter on those things?
That doesn't count because they haven't figured out a way to tax those things YET.
There was probably more smog created by the libes going to Obama's birthday party than all our wood-burning stoves combined.

What really grinds me is to hear of the so-called eco leaders flying to summits in their private planes and even bringing their limos, tons of carbon in the air just from their jets, they would probably tell you that it's for the greater good, just shut up and go watch you mindless TV.

Latest posts

Back