Wood stoves for heat,

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a summers heat wood burning furnace in our basement. It keeps the chill out of the basement until I finish the basement (insulating, walls, floors, ceilings, etc) I will be putting HVAC in the basement but not ready for that yet, the intent is to be able to run it off of solar and in an emergency a NG generator.

Edited to add link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-3000-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Furnace/1000241907

Last edited:
We have a wood stove similar to the one phideaux showed. We put the ashes in a 30 gallon metal trash can and when it full and we are positive it's "dead" we dump it in the dumpster. Our soil is alkaline enough with out adding ashes to the garden.

We have a wood stove similar to the one phideaux showed. We put the ashes in a 30 gallon metal trash can and when it full and we are positive it's "dead" we dump it in the dumpster. Our soil is alkaline enough with out adding ashes to the garden.

My soil is mostly shale so I till in ashes, straw, chicken and horse manure. Trying to create soil that will actually grow something other than weeds.

I have an old Montgomery Wards. It's a single stage. It holds a fair amount of wood, and isn't shy about burning it.
Wood cutters out here suck, and have no idea of an honest cord.
The wood heater is a real waste, unless wood is basically abundant and free.
I just installed a propane heater this year, and I bet I find in the end it is more economical.

I have an old Montgomery Wards. It's a single stage. It holds a fair amount of wood, and isn't shy about burning it.
Wood cutters out here suck, and have no idea of an honest cord.
The wood heater is a real waste, unless wood is basically abundant and free.
I just installed a propane heater this year, and I bet I find in the end it is more economical.

we live on 34 acres and 20+ is wooded with nothing but hard wood, we had the mature growth cut a couple years back and I couldn't pay someone to come cut firewood let alone sell it so we burn what we can. I have the tree tops from over 200 oak trees just rotting away in our backwoods:eyeballs:we have enough cut for a couple of years and add to it every once in a while. We are getting ready to build one big shed/building/barn (20 x 24) that we can drive the side by side through (front to back), there we will store our riding mower, tiller, log splitter and firewood. Oh and the side by side. Once we build that building we will be able to store 4-5 years worth in the dry. This building will most likely be put up in the next 1-2 years, no rush on it right now since we have a fire wood shed and a regular 10x20 shed already in place. we could easily burn for heat just from deadfall from our trees, let alone from the thinning. Sorry to hear people have to pay for fire wood I would gladly allow people to cut from my tree tops!

We are getting ready to build one big shed/building/barn (20 x 24) that we can drive the side by side through (front to back), there we will store our riding mower, tiller, log splitter and firewood. Oh and the side by side. Once we build that building we will be able to store 4-5 years worth in the dry.
In my head, that shed doesn't sound big enough to hold all that.

Your probably right on the size, it'll probably end up being bigger! 24 x 30 maybe, time will tell!

Latest posts

Back