Wooden Boat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! Would you build one like this for me please? I've always wanted one.

St Michaels - Classic Wooden Boats.jpg

When I was young I rode in a Chris Craft that was around 18' and had seating all around the sides, it would do about 40 and you had to sit down or you'd get thrown around, they are beautifully made and expensive. That boat belonged to a neighbors friend, that neighbor taught me how to fish for cutthroat trout with popgear and worms on a salt water bay and anytime I wanted to go fishing he let me use his Lapstrake dingy. When I'd first put the boat in the water it would leak like a sieve and after a few minutes the boards would swell up and the leaking would stop altogether, I always wish I had a boat like that. The Vikings built lapped boats and sailed the world with them. Around here Dories are called Rogue River boats, they draw very little water and even in the river flow are pretty easy to row to keep them in one place, river guides use them for steelhead and salmon and a lot of them are made out of aluminum, they used to be made out of plywood, with an extra layer of plywood on the bottom, a sacrifice layer for running over rocks, I think they do something like that for the aluminum boats as well.

I wish I could help, but I can’t. I look forward to any photos you post on this project. My only experience is with a different kind of boat. I saw this one conduct target practice at night from 500 yards on her stern. We were shooting star shells to illuminate the targets. “Impressive” doesn’t begin to describe what I saw. Even at night I could see the 2000lb shells in the air with my naked eyes (the Iowa, BB-61)

I wish you luck with your project…

Iowa Battleship sm.jpg

Last edited:
This is probably from the same picture I have, it's the battleship Iowa which my stepdad was on in WWII. When he died his son asked me what I'd like to have and I said the litho of this ship doing a broadside firing, he was an Oil King on the ship and he told me that he had privileges that others didn't, he told me the captain allowed him to be above deck when they fired the big guns, he said all it took was one time and he had enough as the blast was incredible. This picture is of the ship as it was fitted for Desert Storm, you can see the Patriot Missile containers on the superstructure. Those shells travel roughly the same speed as a 165 grain bullet from a 30-06.

Back