Wooden Crates for Storing Canning Jars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There is a great article on Survival Blog about making wooden crates to store canning jars. I have wanted to do this for quite a while. I came into a wooden crate for free that came from Joanne's fabrics and have gotten myself a few more. They are around $12 a piece, kind of pricey. I could have lots of money invested if I bought them for all of my jars. This article is great and the author makes them in various sizes for various sized canning jars. Some instructions and dimensions are included in this article. He suggests that if you can't make your own, have someone cut up the pieces and then assemble the boxes yourself. There are slots on two ends to help with carrying. If you are someone who moves fairly frequently, these would be great for you, already packed and easy to stack up.

I cut up cardboard boxes and put pieces of them between the jars to help cushion them from bumping against one another and breaking when I pack mine up. The cardboard boxes that jars usually come in now are adequate, but the older boxes were not so safe. The jars could fall out of the bottom if you weren't paying attention.

One challenge now would be the price of lumber. I am sure at least one of you has a stash of dimensional lumber.

https://survivalblog.com/c-sat-oct-24-is/

Thanks, good link. I have a few boxes of loose jars that need a better home.

All the cases of jars I've purchased in the last 10 or 12 years have a good home. I keep the boxes they came in. The boxes are wrapped in plastic also. When I open a case I only cut the plastic at one corner. Jars go back in the cardboard case they came in, either full or empty. The plastic wrap holds them securely.

Thanks, good link. I have a few boxes of loose jars that need a better home.

All the cases of jars I've purchased in the last 10 or 12 years have a good home. I keep the boxes they came in. The boxes are wrapped in plastic also. When I open a case I only cut the plastic at one corner. Jars go back in the cardboard case they came in, either full or empty. The plastic wrap holds them securely.
I do something similar. I reuse the boxes now that have the plastic wrap and keep it on. But if you stack up boxes or have a bunch on shelves, what you have can become confusing. I have some boxes of different kinds of things. I make a couple print outs of what's in each box and put one on one side and one on one end. I make them about half a page size and put it between the plastic and box.

Latest posts

Back