woodworking for money

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I made and sold all unique children's furniture for several years. Had to quit when the economy tanked years ago. Is there a market again? I still have my shop set up have not used it for several years.

Check out your local farmer markets ... We have a number of folks here selling kids wooden toys and such. One gentleman sells tin ware. (very cool)

Would you consider making furniture for the American Girl sized dolls? The people that buy AG dolls, do spend money.

Here is just an "inexpensive" example.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/120932...ery=18 inch doll furniture&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

il_570xN.417600104_a7xo.jpg

That is about $39.

This is about $25
il_570xN.417398729_lohc.jpg

or this is $30. I'd like one of these.

il_570xN.450419267_pa8u.jpg

These are from just one site, but to give you some idea.

First and foremost --- Rusty --- Warm Welcome from the Arizona Valley Folks. Second there maybe a market for this in the West Cost big cities where people have no real skill set but too much money. Exclusive / unique marketed products could demand premium money. How you goe it marketed is the magic question. Anything can be sold, it you know how to market it. A rock in a box made a man a millionaire.

I have a friend who is an awesome woodworker. He too would rather build something, then give it away to friends. He makes some awesome pull toys for children and has a blast handing them out to kids he sees wherever he goes. He made us 4 redwood wine bottle and glass holding tables for our patio, and made a redwood glider also for my patio. He also made me a small train pull toy for my grandson, and now that he is older, will forever be kept on my shelf in the office because of its beauty.

Angie, used to build something very similar to the single bed and the doll rocking chair.. I donated about 40 child's rocking chair to Toys for Tots one year.
At one time we sold about $5000 in crafts yearly. After the economy crash In the Bush years, crafts quit selling and have never completely recovered here. Most of the shows never came back.

Craft shows went away for the most part and now those that used to sell at those shows are selling on facebook. My Mrs used to make dolls, ugly ones but people loved them. She sold them on E-bay mostly for over $100 each, one lady bought over 10 from here and requested certain themes, she spent over $2,000. My Mrs competitors back then were all on e-bay, now they have a facebook page for their shops from e-bay. They had email lists from e-bay and just now send the email list a link to their facebook page, they even auction stuff on their facebook pages. No cost compared to e-bay, no taxes, no reporting requirements like on e-bay. I am looking for a lot of facebook to get shut down soon.

Latest posts

Back