Word of the Year

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not sure if any of you have heard of this. I've done it for a few years now and like it. It might sound silly to you if so just ignore. If it's something you can use though, here ya go. You pick one word to keep in mind, to aim for, to remember for the year.
As the example, I only have my own experience. The first year I heard of this, I had lost two very dear friends within a year's time. I chose the word "Remember." I never wanted to forget them and the great influence they had on me. The second year was "Focus." I needed to look forward and think about the future. Then "Steadfast" as we had a lot of changes in our upcoming year and I knew I would need the stability. Last year was "Prosper." This was not just financial but friendships, faith, and general well being. Actually the financial aspect of the word was probably lowest on the totem pole.
This year my word is "Grace." I thought about Balance, but it seemed incomplete. Grace actually has a couple of meanings and with all meanings, feels right.
So what say you? What's your word.

* Edited to add Steadfast. I missed a year.

Last edited:
Mine is more than a single word but it works for me.
"Blessings of health, wealth and happiness"
I use this for others knowing that when you give you also receive.
So, I give to each of you blessings of health, wealth and happiness.

If I had to do it in one word it would be "ENOUGH". Not too much or too little but enough, of everything.

This year my word is "Grace."

Great word! We use the word Grace in our home often, many times each and every day. Grace is the cornerstone of our faith and the foundation of how we treat each other in this family.

If I were to select a word for 2020, I would select "Hope". Hope is a confident expectation of good. Hope is the firm assurance that the blessings promised will be delivered. Hope is the confidence in God's protection, which in turn frees us from fear or anxiety. Hope is the certainty of a blessed future. Hope produces joy and hope produces peace.

This is a very good exercise. It really made me think, and there are many excellent posts above mine. I guess if I have one word for this year it would be future.

I am closer to retirement, and pondering/ wondering if we have enough to be able to give up my income. There never seems to be enough, and when you think there is Murphy will kick you in the you-know-what. A new grandchild makes me think of his future, and the tribulations he will face even in a loving home where he is protected and nurtured.

IMHO the political landscape is the darkest I have ever seen. The country hasn't been this divided since the Civil War. There seems to be a total disregard for the Constitution and the Rule of Law. None of this bodes well for the future.

We will continue to prep, and try to be self-reliant, so when the bad things happen we can minimize the impact. Thanks for posting, LadyLocust.

Good words. A friend of mine has had some big changes in her life in the past year: out of state move to new job, then new fella etc. She was thinking Adventure and Create then ended up settling on Transform. It's funny how we can actually come up with a single word after we've given it some thought. Its probably the thought process that makes it most effective, who knows?

So my 2020 word of the year has been "Grace." I can't tell you how many times I said that word to myself this year. God sure does know what we need!
In pondering and not knowing (of course) what 2021 will bring, I've chosen "Flourish" for my next word of the year. I suppose it's along the lines of "Flourish where you are planted." Whatever becomes, I am hoping to do my best with what I have.

@Pearl letting you know.
So last year, my word was flourish. Kinda a grow where you're planted mindset as much as anything else.
Today my word for 2022 finally came to me. It usually starts a few weeks early. This year it was delayed - like so many things these days :cool:
My word is Compose. There are things I want to "bring together" or "fine tune" - in my mind this makes sense. But I will post what mirium-webster says. They all work.

compose
verb

com·pose | \ kəm-ˈpōz \
composed; composing
Definition of compose
transitive verb
1a: to form by putting together : FASHION a committee composed of three representatives— Current Biography
b: to form the substance of : CONSTITUTE composed of many ingredients
c: to produce (columns, pages of type, etc.) by composition
2a: to create by mental or artistic labor : PRODUCE compose a sonnet
b(1): to formulate and write (a piece of music)composed a symphony
(2): to compose music for
3: to deal with or act on so as to reduce to a minimum compose their differences
4: to arrange in proper or orderly form The two men had laid him on the bed, and composed his limbs.— Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
5: to free from agitation : CALM, SETTLE composed himself Life moves on, … and one must compose oneself to meet it …— Rose Macaulay

Screenshot_20220101-233217.jpg
I definately think this is my 2022!! FLOURISH🌻

I couldn't focus on stuff, feels like forever. Thought I was, the wrong things usually.
Maybe focus for me this year, but really trying to give myself space to continue to evolve into the changes I'm going through.
I did 'focus' one year. Two years in a row of loosing loved ones, I chose 'remember' to give myself time to reflect etc. The following year, I chose 'focus' so I could move forward. It was a good word on rough days. My prayer is that it helps you as much as it did me. 💕

productive
[prəˈdəktiv]

ADJECTIVE

1. producing or able to produce large amounts of goods, crops, or other commodities.
    "the most productive employees"
    synonyms:
    fertile · fruitful · rich · fecund · high-yielding

effort
[ˈefərt]

NOUN

1. a vigorous or determined attempt.
    "in an effort to save money, I have committed to only buying items that I truly need"
    synonyms:
    attempt · try · endeavor · essay · assay
  2. technical
    a force exerted by a machine or in a process.

Latest posts

Back