Word of the Year

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my word for this year will be retire. I am in the home stretch and there is light at the end of the tunnel (and it isn't an oncoming train). I have worked for 55 years, and for almost all of that time I worked at least two jobs. For a significant portion of that time, it was two full time jobs. As much as I feel I am ready, there is something gnawing at my insides that makes me reluctant. It seems like we spend a large portion of our lives trying to find a good job; good pay; good benefits; good work environment; good work conditions; work you enjoy. When you finally find it, why would you just walk away? It goes against every grain of mt being. Back in the Downsizing/Right Sizing/Re-Engineering in the 80's and early 90's many of us had to change career paths, and you soon found out the only thing worse than working was not working. Walking away from a good job I am finding very difficult.

re·tire
/rəˈtī(ə)r/

verb
  • 1.leave one's job and cease to work, typically upon reaching the normal age for leaving employment:"he retired from the navy in 1966"synonymsgive up work, stop working, stop work, reach retirement age
  • 2.withdraw to or from a particular place:"she retired into the bathroom with her toothbrush"synonymsgo off, withdraw, go away, go out, exit, ... more

Unhindered
Their will be nothing to hinder or obstruct me from growing closer to the Mighty one upstairs
And also nothing will hinder me from being all I can me for my wife and kids
A simply put statement that is so huge!! The statement of a true man, living for God, loving/living for his family! That is greatly inspirational Bluetick!!!!!

Hope you do retire, Morgan. My husband had a terrible time retiring, then moping. Takes awhile to get over it. And he was 3 yrs past his retirement.
We had a friend who retired 3 times! Luckily the company he worked for let him come back twice part time!! Once his wife retired he did too!

I think my word for this year will be retire. I am in the home stretch and there is light at the end of the tunnel (and it isn't an oncoming train). I have worked for 55 years, and for almost all of that time I worked at least two jobs. For a significant portion of that time, it was two full time jobs. As much as I feel I am ready, there is something gnawing at my insides that makes me reluctant. It seems like we spend a large portion of our lives trying to find a good job; good pay; good benefits; good work environment; good work conditions; work you enjoy. When you finally find it, why would you just walk away? It goes against every grain of mt being. Back in the Downsizing/Right Sizing/Re-Engineering in the 80's and early 90's many of us had to change career paths, and you soon found out the only thing worse than working was not working. Walking away from a good job I am finding very difficult.

re·tire
/rəˈtī(ə)r/

verb
  • 1.leave one's job and cease to work, typically upon reaching the normal age for leaving employment:"he retired from the navy in 1966"synonymsgive up work, stop working, stop work, reach retirement age
  • 2.withdraw to or from a particular place:"she retired into the bathroom with her toothbrush"synonymsgo off, withdraw, go away, go out, exit, ... more
Perhaps don't look at it as "retiring" but as choosing how you wish to spend your time. There is nothing that says you can't "work" in retirement, but let it be only as much as you desire and doing something you really enjoy whether that is what you are doing now as employment or hobby.
When I retire, I hope to be a story lady at the library maybe one day per week - volunteer or paid, whichever. It's something I enjoy.

Perhaps don't look at it as "retiring" but as choosing how you wish to spend your time. There is nothing that says you can't "work" in retirement, but let it be only as much as you desire and doing something you really enjoy whether that is what you are doing now as employment or hobby.
When I retire, I hope to be a story lady at the library maybe one day per week - volunteer or paid, whichever. It's something I enjoy.

I have thought of that, Lady L but the practical side always seems to win. You know. The little angel and devil that sit on your shoulders. The Angel says "Do something you like or volunteer." The Devil says " Why give up one job for another that pays 2/3's less or nothing?" The Devil seems to be winning.

Hubby will have to be busy until he drops. ..will probably end up with a milk cow 🐄

If you've the 'bandwidth' / infrastructure... Horses are an Excellent 'hobby' that pay Very rich 'dividends', and will Keep ya Plenty Busy!! :cool: Can't Wait till I can have one / more in my Life, again.. 😍

My 'WOTY' for 2021: Graft. :mad:

WOTY for 2022: Lead. and Water. (oops.. ;)

jd

If you've the 'bandwidth' / infrastructure... Horses are an Excellent 'hobby' that pay Very rich 'dividends', and will Keep ya Plenty Busy!! :cool: Can't Wait till I can have one / more in my Life, again.. 😍

My 'WOTY' for 2021: Graft. :mad:

WOTY for 2022: Lead. and Water. (oops.. ;)

jd
We both grew up on ranches so it's not out of the question. I would actually be interested in a draft horse.

I realize I'm probably the only one here who does this, but in looking back, I've done it going on 10 years. It does seem to do something for me. I don't do new year's resolutions. I can do that any ol' time. I do pick a word of inspiration each year. Last year was Compose. A good word for me.
This year my word is "Refine". We're only 4 days in, but so far I'm liking it.

Last edited:
I am gonna go with "Readjust". I am still getting used to retirement. When the weather is good I can spend a lot of time on Golf, which my wife doesn't mind, and I enjoy. When the weather is bad I feel like a caged animal. I need to find some other outlets, and plan accordingly.

I like @Morgan101 's post from Jan 3, Retire is a good word. I also see @Amish Heart 's comment about the Ham Gear that makes me think we should retire while we still have the drive and desire to do the things we love.

Finally, looking at @LadyLocust 's comment about getting husband a milk cow. Having had to milk one before, I would have to think long and hard on that.

So your word is "retire"?
It is the most wonderful word in your life if you have not been a 'slacker' your whole life. 😀
To be able to pull the plug and watch the lights go dim, it is priceless!!
Four people cried at my retirement party.
After being taken for granted for 4 decades, this was priceless! :thumbs:
Today, I work tirelessly to become an even-more totally-worthless POS.
It is an ongoing struggle.:)

It is the most wonderful word in your life if you have not been a 'slacker' your whole life. 😀
To be able to pull the plug and watch the lights go dim, it is priceless!!
Four people cried at my retirement party.
After being taken for granted for 4 decades, this was priceless! :thumbs:
Today, I work tirelessly to become an even-more totally-worthless POS.
It is an ongoing struggle.:)
I am about 3 or so years from achieving just that

… a large portion of our lives trying to find a good job; good pay; good benefits; good work environment; good work conditions; work you enjoy. When you finally find it, why would you just walk away?…
I had a planed on working a few more years but retired sooner because the Owner’s worsening management and lies. Money and benefits only go so far.

Now I’m self employed with small jobs that I choose.

…To be able to pull the plug and watch the lights go dim, it is priceless!!…After being taken for granted for 4 decades, this was priceless!…
Owner gave a speech how no employee was not replaceable. I put my hand on the Owner’s shoulder and told him I agreed with him. Don’t know if he got my meaning or not. ;)

Back