Words of Wisdom

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pouring fine wine into a paper cup does not magically turn it into piss. {Look at Stephen Hawking!}

It is said "He who dies with the most toys wins," in truth, he who hoards the most junk, sinks fastest when the ice breaks.

Do not weep for the dead, for they now behold a sight they have traveled a lifetime to see!

If you can live without it, you don't need it.

Beware a fool, fools are ingenious at wrecking things and often carry knives up their sleeves.

Wherever love blooms, be aware there is someone nearby just itching to pour weed killer on it!

Trust and respect. Used properly they breed love. Love requires both.

W8RxS83.jpg

My personal quote:
My aggravation is like a fine scotch, it mellows with age.
as old as I am, caring what the world thinks of me wastes my time.

Nobody gets out of here alive.

The LAST sane man I heard of was crucified for his troubles 2000 years ago.

Eat, drink, be merry, (F* bomb) like goats, have fun. SOMETHING is going to KILL you eventually, you might as well be enjoying yourself when it does.

People who resent the word (F* bomb) probably need to do it more often. its fun!

At my age, the only teenage girl I'll be letting in my lap is related to me.

All me, love it or hate it, I'm a philosopher. <----

Last edited:
Wisdom of my bosses...

I was working in a high tech field supporting products that were cutting edge. I was tasked with improving the reliability of one particular product line that was falling into a bad reputation.

I took excruciating notes and discovered specific indicators that let me predict and prevent catastrophic failures. When discussing my work and findings with my district manager I made the point that manufacturing was delivering defecting components and all of my efforts would not be required if the issues I identified were addressed.

My manager (Ernest Dale) listened patiently to my laments and responded;

Ben, when you are running in the dark, it is the lead sled dog that runs into the tree.

Ben

When I was young and even more obnoxious than I am now I was talking to a manager about plans to support fancy new gizmos called COMPUTERS. I was one of two people in a 200 mile radius that understood and could fix or program them as he pointed out and wanted my opinion.

Being arrogant I responded;

Well I guess that gives me job security doesn't it?

He (Ross Beddle) explained how successful people advanced.

A new person has no idea what to to do and needs trained by a mentor of how to carry out a task.

A person learns there tasks but requires support from the mentor to handle exceptions.

A person grows to being able to handle their work including exceptions.

A person masters their job and helps others with the exemptions.

A person becomes invaluable in keeping a process moving and would come to a stand still without their input.

Many people stop there thinking they have job security. But the most successful work to train their peers such that they are no longer needed.

Only then is a person freed to move on to more challenging tasks.

Ben

I was once faced with an insurmountable challenge that could not be fixed even by the the support engineer from the supplying company. I told my CWO that it was a lost cause and I give up.

My CWO replied;

The only way you will ever fail is if you you give up.

Since that day, I have never given up.

Ben

I was once faced with an insurmountable challenge that could not be fixed even by the the support engineer from the supplying company. I told my CWO that it was a lost cause and I give up.

My CWO replied;

The only way you will ever fail is if you you give up.

Since that day, I have never given up.

Ben
changing tactics isn't 'giving up', however. Maybe the BB gun wasn't a suitable tool.

Back