Words of Wisdom

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obstacles.png

I don't have Photoshop anymore, but almost all of the memes I have posted in this thread were made in Canva because it is free with no strings. I have used it for many things over the years for both work and play.

You might find it fun, too. canva.com has hundreds of photos, illustrations, and options you can use, along with a lot of other perks. But, I also like pixabay.com for thousands of no-cost copyright-free photos. I can upload as many choices that I want to my device and then go back to Canva, choose upload and bingo.

Last edited:
A couple days ago in a taxi, there was an older gentleman man who was talking about his family and what he was leaving behind for his children.

Usually when I get into a taxi, I immediately put on my earphones and zone out. But I felt like listening to him.

So when he said something along the lines of his mission being leaving something behind for his kids, the taxi driver responded by saying "and your grandchildren". To which, the man said "no, that's for my children to do." I liked that because it's like each generation has its own set of responsibilities and it's like he would have been doing his children a disservice if he took that away from them.

Then there was a part where he was sad that his grandchildren, most of whom were around the same age as me - in their 30s - didn't really call him or visit him. And that his kids were the ones who kept a relationship going with him. Maybe that's what led to his viewpoint.

Another thing he said was: "give without asking, and you'll be given in return". I've seen this play out many times, I've experimented with that myself many, many times and it is true. It's just sooooooo difficult sometimes. My ego, feeling somewhat neglected or forgotten or like an afterthought if I don't ask or I guess, demand something in return....But...this one is so hard for my selfish heart.

That looks to be ocean. What's the pole for?

As a child and young adult, I fished and swam in the Gulf of Mexico. I learned firsthand just how extensive the sandbars are. In some areas they can stretch out hundreds of yards into the ocean from shore; other spots, not so far. Either way, this meant that I would have a long walk in the shallow water before the water became deep enough to fish.

So I would imagine there could be similarly shallow water surrounding an island.

Also, the pole can serve as a mast for a makeshift sail (with his shirt and/or pants) to catch the wind...

Last edited:
As a child and young adult, I fished and swam in the Gulf of Mexico. I learned firsthand just how extensive the sandbars are. In some areas they can stretch out hundreds of yards into the ocean from shore. This meant that I would have a long walk in the shallow water before the water became deep enough to fish.

So I would imagine there could be similarly shallow water surrounding an island.

Also, the pole can serve as a mast for a makeshift sail (with his shirt and/or pants) to catch the wind...
I ain't buying that story, Grizzley. Getting out to the end of the sandbar strikes me as being of no benefit whatsoever - unless there's a case of beer out there.

I ain't buying that story, Grizzley. Getting out to the end of the sandbar strikes me as being of no benefit whatsoever - unless there's a case of beer out there.

Surf-fishing is good at the end of the sandbar and worth the walk. I see that you really haven't lived yet, lololol.

I'm a hillbilly. I stay the hell out of the ocean; there's bogies in there.

...and stingrays, big jellyfish, and sharks, and oh my....!!!

...and of course, it is mo' fun with cold beer too.

Well, today's Daily Stoic seems to be pretty on point. Because left and right today it's been nothing but disillusionment and disappointment and anger and numbness and wishing pretty much everything were NOT what it is.

Screenshot_2021-06-18-16-35-29-725_com.faultexception.reader-01.jpeg

Never trust a man that don’t like dogs. But always trust a dog that don’t like a man.

Yup. This reminds me of when my family and I lived in Johannesburg. We had a dalmatian, Picasso, who loved everyone. We had gotten robbed twice and still, he did nothing. We're pretty sure he wanted to play with the burglars.

But there was a man down the street Picasso did not like. He hated him. He was the only person he would growl at and even bit him once when he got too close.

That dude gave me the creeps.

Yup. This reminds me of when my family and I lived in Johannesburg. We had a dalmatian, Picasso, who loved everyone. We had gotten robbed twice and still, he did nothing. We're pretty sure he wanted to play with the burglars.

But there was a man down the street Picasso did not like. He hated him. He was the only person he would growl at and even bit him once when he got too close.

That dude gave me the creeps.
It could be that Picasso bit him because "he gave you the creeps".

1624035196544.png

“When a man starts to learn, he is never clear about his objectives. His purpose is faulty; his intent is vague. He hopes for rewards that will never materialize, for he knows nothing of the hardships of learning. “He slowly begins to learn… bit by bit at first, then in big chunks. And his thoughts soon clash. What he learns is never what he pictured, or imagined, and so he begins to be afraid. Learning is never what one expects."

“The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge,” by Carlos Castaneda

1626187494654.png

Patrick Henry:

"But we are told that we need not fear; because those in power, being our representatives, will not abuse the powers we put in their hands. I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers.

I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny. Happy will you be if you miss the fate of those nations, who, omitting to resist their oppressors, or negligently suffering their liberty to be wrested from them, have groaned under intolerable despotism!

Most of the human race are now in this deplorable condition; and those nations who have gone in search of grandeur, power, and splendor, have also fallen a sacrifice, and been the victims of their own folly. While they acquired those visionary blessings, they lost their freedom."

“When you are distressed by an external thing, it’s not the thing itself that troubles you, but only your judgment of it. And you can wipe this out at a moment’s notice.” – Marcus Aurelius

“First off, don’t let the force of the impression carry you away. Say to it, ‘Hold up a bit and let me see who you are and where you are from – let me put you to the test…’” – Epictetus

“When you are distressed by an external thing, it’s not the thing itself that troubles you, but only your judgment of it. And you can wipe this out at a moment’s notice.” – Marcus Aurelius

Ol' Marcus sometimes conned his readers; about con-jobs in this instance.

Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. they live inside us, and sometimes, they win. ” - Stephen King

"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has it's limits"..................Albert Einstein

Reactions: Neb
Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.

Latest posts

Back