WTH MAN???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
Community announcement
If you are on disability you might want to check with your insurance carrier

OK.here is the deal that has me HOT!! 6 months ago i picked up some burial insurance.
I set it up to be directly taken out each month at the same time. They took out the first payment.
Then 5 months later I get a phone call. Frodo, You have not paid your insurance in 5 months.
I tell him that it is automatically taken out. If they did not receive payment the the question is WHY didn;t you take it out
I received some fast talking that ended in you owe the last 5 months.
I told him that i do not OWE DICK. WHY wasn't the money taken out?
Then i am told that Mississippi, told insurance carriers NOT to take out payments because of the Virus.
OK..NOT MY PROBLEM.. YOUR problem for not INFORMING ME
LOL....This guy is getting upset that i am refusing to roll over and give him 500 bucks.
Finally I said. just drop the policy. problem solved.

anyway. my little rant is over, You guys need to check with your insurance companies and make sure they are screwing you

Finally I said. just drop the policy. problem solved.

anyway. my little rant is over, You guys need to check with your insurance companies and make sure they are screwing you
You did the right thing.
It wouldn't have worked anyway.
Not that I have personal, first-hand experience on this, but I do.
People thinking that they can cover funeral/burial expenses with a life-insurance/burial policy is probably the most cruel joke ever perpetrated on people that don't know about it.
Here's why it does-not, will-not, and can-not, work:

A. The funeral home will not complete a funeral/burial until they are PAID IN FULL and they will not 'finance' it.
B. The funeral home will only initiate the process to have a death-certificate generated, AFTER the funeral has been done. Only they can start this process.
C. The wait time here to get a death-certificate is 8-10 WEEKS. :oops:
D. ABSOLUTELY NO insurance company will accept a claim for a life policy without a certified death certificate.
Welcome to the worst "catch-22" you can imagine!
Hope you keep $13,000 in your checking account!!!

You would be far better off taking out a loan for the typical cost of a funeral, putting the money in an accessible savings account, and making payments on the loan.
Even if you don't last long enough to pay off the loan, it will already be set up for your heirs....
Especially, if they found out that they couldn't borrow enough money to plant you without collateral.:oops:
Oh BTW, there is a time constraint. After several days, your corpse is gonna start smelling.
Whatcha think they gonna do?

The answer is: your heir(s) will get reamed by everybody.

Last edited:
I don't use that term lightly.
I cannot completely demonize the funeral home.
They are more than willing to work you over with you.
They will gladly accept an insurance policy (keyword: policy) as payment if it's value exceeds the cost of the funeral :p.
To do that, the beneficiary must sign the policy over to the funeral home as the beneficiary.
Let's say funeral costs are $13,000 and the life-insurance policy has a $50,000 pay out.

Today's math problem: if the funeral costs $13,000 and the funeral home gets a $50,000 policy,
How many thousand$ did they just ream out of the grieving widow?
(she's 86 on a fixed income) First correct answer gets 5 bonus points!

This happens every day, and it is completely legal. It's the only time the guy in the box is spending the money, and the people outside the box are paying the bill.
Nobody cares.
Maybe if I was in the box spending your money?
I can do that. Would you care then?

Last edited:
Just went thru this.
We had policy paid off to cover my mom's funeral, the policy was interest bearing.

The funeral was fully paid for ....everything.
Then we (sister and me) got to split $4000 over the cost.

This can only happen IF you make sure the paperwork shows you as a secondary beneficiary.

Mine shows my wife and my wife's shows me as secondary beneficiaries.

My daughter is shown as secondary beneficiary in case we both die at same time.

It's all how detailed you get with the policy and paperwork.

Worked for us..

Jim

In Washington you can get a death certificate from the attending physician. Why would the funeral home be the issuer of a death certificate?

You did the right thing.
It wouldn't have worked anyway.
Not that I have personal, first-hand experience on this, but I do.
People thinking that they can cover funeral/burial expenses with a life-insurance/burial policy is probably the most cruel joke ever perpetrated on people that don't know about it.
Here's why it does-not, will-not, and can-not, work:

A. The funeral home will not complete a funeral/burial until they are PAID IN FULL and they will not 'finance' it.
B. The funeral home will only initiate the process to have a death-certificate generated, AFTER the funeral has been done. Only they can start this process.
C. The wait time here to get a death-certificate is 8-10 WEEKS. :oops:
D. ABSOLUTELY NO insurance company will accept a claim for a life policy without a certified death certificate.
Welcome to the worst "catch-22" you can imagine!
Hope you keep $13,000 in your checking account!!!

You would be far better off taking out a loan for the typical cost of a funeral, putting the money in an accessible savings account, and making payments on the loan.
Even if you don't last long enough to pay off the loan, it will already be set up for your heirs....
Especially, if they found out that they couldn't borrow enough money to plant you without collateral.:oops:
Oh BTW, there is a time constraint. After several days, your corpse is gonna start smelling.
Whatcha think they gonna do?

As you already know, you are right.
I just paid for my mother funneral in full.
Probate had the fax proof of payment from the funneral home without my knowledge.
I guess by law they have to notify Probate of the account standing, before probate will proceed.
You can have a burial account, at a bank with intrest, but you need to apoint a survivor, THAT YOU CAN TRUST, to share the conrol to the account.
This is because as soon as the bank learns that love one are dead, his/her account is frozen, untill they receive a death certificate & a letter from Probate.
NOTE: any person whos name is on the account can take all moneys & use as they see fit.
If you pick a funneral home to work with you on setting up an account, then they will have said information on file, so when it is needed, they will be aware of the account. Also many state have different laws, it is never too early to pick a funneral home & start an account, plan the music, the photo album for the CD. Pick a flower shop & write/ up date a will.
The letter gives you the right to close all accounts & use the monies as you see fit.

In Washington you can get a death certificate from the attending physician. Why would the funeral home be the issuer of a death certificate?
Most people do not have a clue, lost & confussed, so the Funneral home helps out, they have proof the love one is dead & you do not.
I do not even know how to get a DC, they said they could take care of it so I let them, my 3 brother only showed up for the funneral, did not know to give mothers pastor a stipend, so I did it.
No one wanted to go to probate so I did, to be fair they worked & I am retired. One of the three brothers gave me $400 on the 2300.00 bill.
Mothers ashes are with my sister, because no one has the money to open the grave, I do not see how hard it is to come with $375.00.
So I will end up paying the whole bill.

The funeral home starts the process to get the state to generate the certified death certificate.
In Alabama, the state is the only one that can issue a certified death certificate.
In Louisiana, the state is the only one that can issue a certified death certificate.
Don't be in a hurry down here.
You'll probably see that insurance money 5 months down the road.:(

Depending on where the death occurs...if in hospice at home, an attending nurse or county medical examiner would verify death and sign forms and work on getting it started/processed. It would then be sent by the nurse or hospice to the state, who would then send it, the death certificate, to whomever is considered the executive of the estate or surviving spouse.
It varies by state. It does take a few weeks for it to process.
I'm adding my two cents worth because there can be so many questions and different circumstances.

Funerals do not have to cost that much, $13,000. Just sayin'
Are you Catholic?
He was. It's complicated.
And since we flood down here, people don't get 'buried' any more because caskets float.
No graves for us!
Think crypt, in a mausoleum.
Don't die down here.

My main point to get across, is so many people think they know how this stuff works only to find out that when they are the most vulnerable, that they are 'dead-wrong' (pardon the pun).
Do not think "policy". Think "account".
You will need access to those funds within 3 days! Not 6 months.
Oh did I mention the funeral home will gladly take plastic?
If you have a "Heavy-Duty" credit card, they are required by law to tell you that they will tack on a 3% fee.
Reamed? That's only $390. POOF! Up in smoke (cremation pun).
Don't get burned (sorry, again with the pun).

Last edited:
Are you Catholic?
He was. It's complicated.
And since we flood down here, people don't get 'buried' any more because caskets float.
No graves for us!
Think crypt, in a mausoleum.
Don't die down here.
No, I'm not Catholic. That's fine that it was complicated.
While not off topic completely, it helps to know stuff. There are "packages" at funeral homes. Take your pick. Don't forget the casket. Ka-ching $$$$
It keeps it lower cost to skip the family "receiving friends", in 4 different time frames, skip the limo, etc.
Have services in a church or at graveside, eliminating the need for services at the funeral home, as well as cutting costs. I didn't know this stuff.
You just don't realize how many choices you have. Plus being able to plan in advance and pay for it in advance with the funeral home. I would not do monthly payments.
And shopping around for a cemetery plot is a whole 'nother topic for most of the population, SuperV. Costs for opening the ground as well as possible restrictions on headstones in the cemetery.
I would even check with a cemetery, if your family has been in an area for generations, maybe great grandpa bought more plots you didn't even know about. My grandparents bought enough plots for their children and spouses, but some of their children were buried elsewhere, so there are a few available. (You can't re-sell them at the going rate either, you would only be able to sell them for the original price).

The whole funeral thing is just too complicated,
Wife would like the idea of going through time in a nice place with a view. Me, I would be happy being cremated and scattered along a deer trail....
Bottom line is: If she passes first, she gets a nice place with a view of her choice, if I pass first I get a nice place with a view of her choice.... ;)

I think if we both passed together, our kids would opt of cremation and a trash bag for 2....

My Great Grand Father was a family out-cast. When he died, he had paid for everything in advance and had chosen what he wanted. He even left duplicate notes at his house and the mortuary stating exactly what he wanted, what he had (wasn’t much), and who got what… Now this was 40+ years ago, but he was way ahead of the game.....

Last edited:
. Don't forget the casket. Ka-ching $$$$
It keeps it lower cost to skip the family "receiving friends", in 4 different time frames, skip the limo, etc.
Have services in a church or at graveside, eliminating the need for services at the funeral home, as well as cutting costs. I didn't know this stuff.
If you cut corners, everyone will know, and they will talk.
If you are Catholic, you must have the rosary read during visitation at the funeral home.
Yes, there will be a very nice service in the church.
Yes, there will be a service at 'graveside' too. Nothing can be 'skipped'.
Casket? Everybody will spend hours staring straight at it. He's in a nice one :).
If you go cheap, you will regret it for the rest of your life. (you will never live that down)
Decent ones start at $3,500 and go up from there.
BTW, be ready to write a check for all this within 3 DAYS!

Let 'em talk, that's gossip and anti-love.
1. and 2. and 5. like I said, personally, I'm not Catholic, so I wouldn't care. Why should someone care if people talk about how little was spent on a casket. Why are they trying to impress anyone?
3. Church service shouldn't cost a penny.
4. Graveside dedication doesn't cost either.
Hours staring at a casket? Heaven forbid.
Dealt with family plans where we had two days of two different visitation times (four total), plus funeral at church, plus graveside. TOO MUCH BUSY-NESS. I think that kind of stuff is just too hard on the grieving who were closest to the deceased.
Never have been one to give a hoot what others thought about me in those kinds of personal decisions and situations.

I’m dead. Scatter me wherever, dump my ashes wherever, I don’t need pomp and circumstance. Did I mention I’m dead? I know there are costs involved but I could care less. Keep it cheap for the family. No matter the need, keep,it as basic as possible and spend what you need. No point in the state getting even more handouts from the working class.

... TOO MUCH BUSY-NESS. I think that kind of stuff is just too hard on the grieving who were closest to the deceased.
Never have been one to give a hoot what others thought about me in those kinds of personal decisions and situations.
Oh trust me, it wasn't me! I feel the same way.
It was the girls!!!
brickwall100.gif

We must have this and we must have that.
They wouldn't be able to look anyone in the face if it didn't pass muster. gaah
I did get to design the door to the crypt though.:D
It's the only thing that people will see for centuries:oops:.
All the others are overly simplistic with nothing but a thin border of scroll over the top of names and dates.
If a CNC machine is doing all the work, I say make it earn the money!
Everybody gave it a :thumbs:.
Wanna see it?

Last edited:
If you can it's simpler to pay up front. Not only is my plot chosen it already has my headstone on it with my name and birth date carved into it. (gives me the willies everytime I see it.)

The funeral home is already paid (coffin & sundries including picking up my headstone and having the date of death carved). I'm sure they have the money drawing interest somewhere but thats fine with me.

My plot is in a much larger family plot at my home church. In rural parts of the south being a member comes with benefits, one, is a funeral service. The only thing anyone has to decide is a church service or graveside. The weather usually decides that.

So, I would avoid insurance companies and the paper work.

We have our plot at the church I grew up at. Don't go to church there anymore, but my parents still do. I'm sure they would go for a service for us.
Do need to do our thing, planning and all for the funeral home. We don't plan anything but a simple deal all together, no fancy caskets. Just dig a whole and put us in it.

Actually somebody droppin our ashes up in the mountains with a view would be great.

why, yes, of course I want to see it! @Supervisor42
What everybody else's stone looks like:
BAYHAM, CAROL (1)_c.JPEG

What I came up with:
BAYHAM, CAROL (1)_c_Both_b.JPEG

Final product:
0808200916a_c_r.jpg

The guy had no problem reversing the angel and cross graphics in the CNC programming.
The original ones only faced left.

Very Nice Super
Thanks!
I forgot to add the good news, it cost $0 more to have that done instead of the bland cookie-cutter stuff.
You just need someone that gives a damn.

If you cut corners, everyone will know, and they will talk.
If you are Catholic, you must have the rosary read during visitation at the funeral home.
Yes, there will be a very nice service in the church.
Yes, there will be a service at 'graveside' too. Nothing can be 'skipped'.
Casket? Everybody will spend hours staring straight at it. He's in a nice one :).
If you go cheap, you will regret it for the rest of your life. (you will never live that down)
Decent ones start at $3,500 and go up from there.
BTW, be ready to write a check for all this within 3 DAYS!

My Grandparents were Catholic. They didn't do any of that. They wanted a simple cremation and the ashes were burried on the old family farm with the current owners permission.

There are some things that are required by law when someone dies.
That it should be so easy, @Guardian is anyone's hope.

In NM all you need is to notify the state coroner of where you are burying them so they can mark the gps coordinates in the records. No need for caskets and such.

At least here, an "authorized" person, medical, etc. has to verify the person is absolutely dead.
I researched a good bit of information on it at one time.
You don't have to have the person embalmed if burial is within a very short period.
If anyone can verify, Jewish people bury their dead within 24 hours so there is no embalming, etc.
Some states require there to be a concrete vault as well as the casket.
@Terri9630 that is just out of the norm from what I learned.

Latest posts

Back