WTH MAN???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least here, an "authorized" person, medical, etc. has to verify the person is absolutely dead.
I researched a good bit of information on it at one time.
You don't have to have the person embalmed if burial is within a very short period.
If anyone can verify, Jewish people bury their dead within 24 hours so there is no embalming, etc.
Some states require there to be a concrete vault as well as the casket.
@Terri9630 that is just out of the norm from what I learned.

The death has to be verified, I was just talking about the funeral/burial.

You don't have to have the person embalmed if burial is within a very short period.
If anyone can verify, Jewish people bury their dead within 24 hours so there is no embalming, etc.
Yes. You are correct.
I was talking about how important being able to lay your hands on that cash to pay within 3 days actually is.
If cremation or burial can't be done within that time-frame, look out!
Any corpse that goes past that must be embalmed.
Current price (07-20) for embalming - $900.
For everything else, there is Mastercard:rolleyes:.

I told my kids to not claim the body and let the government deal with it. I said they need to remember me like I was the last time they saw me. I don't want the last time to be in a box.

The body is just a vessel, it is the spirit that is the person. I certainly don't care what happens to the body.

Cnsper. Closure is good. We each will have our own way of departure. If they don't claim you, how would they know what happened to you? I don't really know if that's an option, to not claim.
You are so right about the physical body. While none of us can adequately explain the First Resurrection, I have faith that I will be as good as new some day. ;)

I have no idea if burial insurance is good or not. But I don't agree with the original claim that if the money was not automatically taken out, then it is no longer owed. Failure to automatically withdraw may be unexpected and an inconvenience - but the debt is not wiped from the books. I can't think of anything that works that way.

Cnsper. Closure is good. We each will have our own way of departure. If they don't claim you, how would they know what happened to you? I don't really know if that's an option, to not claim.
You are so right about the physical body. While none of us can adequately explain the First Resurrection, I have faith that I will be as good as new some day. ;)
Someone will find them and ask them to claim the body. I have paid enough taxes that this will be my last chance to get some back.

In Washington you have to have the vault if you are embalmed. If there is no embalming then no need for a vault. You don't need a burial site at all if you are cremated and you can supply tour own urn. I will be buried in a cotton wrap in a shallow grave where my body will decompose naturally. A tree will be planted as my headstone. Only my "earth suit" (my body) will be there, if my kids want to visit or talk to me they can do it from anywhere and anytime.

I hear old stories around here about in home wakes. Mom remembers visiting a lady who had twins that died at birth, and they had a viewing at their home. So did my fav cousins Mil. She was in the big house, laid out for viewing for a day. Then put in a wooden box, taken by horse and buggy to the Amish graveyard, and buried. People viewed, came for the burial and listened to the graveside sermon and sang some songs, then back to the family home for food. A big tent is set up for people to eat under. No flowers are sent, instead a card with money is given to the spouse/parent or whoever is the survivor in charge, to help defray costs. So not much has changed around here, except I don't know about the in home viewing.

I was just talking with my pops about this...

I said, if I go unexpectedly, and you're still vertical, you'll be in charge. Sell my cars and a couple of my guns, pay the preacher, get a (fairly nice) pine box and a plain old stone, and stick me in the clay. Or cremate me and scatter me into the creek where I played when I was a kid. Doesn't matter to me.

Oh, and about the payment for funerals - we didn't have any troubles when we did my Grandma's. A down payment, and paid the rest when the life insurance came in. The funeral home belongs to family friends who have been part of our small town for 130 years. I suppose they do business with the utmost concern for their clients, because in a town of 600, if you screw people when they're vulnerable, your name will be mud real quick...

My Granny, who was my mom's Grandmother, had one baby who's neck was broken during birth, he died shortly after... They burried him in a shoe box in the back yard. The old house was built in the late 1800s, but it makes me wonder how often that took place.

I have dealt with several funerals. My parents had everything paid for in advance, they thought. We found out when Dad died there is something called open and closing and that was not included in their plan. So we had to pay $1200 upfront before the funeral for Dad.
When my Wife's sister died it was the same story. Her kids just looked at us and said we don't have $1200. My wife had her sister's debit card and there was enough to pay the bill. The funeral director never even batted an eye he just took the debit card for a dead woman and charged the $1200.
I'm going to be cremated and interned at a VA Cemetary or just scattered somewhere.
My wife nixed the idea of me getting freeze-dried and stood in the corner.

I have dealt with several funerals. My parents had everything paid for in advance, they thought. We found out when Dad died there is something called open and closing and that was not included in their plan. So we had to pay $1200 upfront before the funeral for Dad.
When my Wife's sister died it was the same story. Her kids just looked at us and said we don't have $1200. My wife had her sister's debit card and there was enough to pay the bill. The funeral director never even batted an eye he just took the debit card for a dead woman and charged the $1200.
I'm going to be cremated and interned at a VA Cemetary or just scattered somewhere.
@Bacpacker your wife is a fun hater... 🤣

Not that I have personal, first-hand experience on this, but I do.
People thinking that they can cover funeral/burial expenses with a life-insurance/burial policy is probably the most cruel joke ever perpetrated on people that don't know about it.
Here's why it does-not, will-not, and can-not, work:

A. The funeral home will not complete a funeral/burial until they are PAID IN FULL and they will not 'finance' it.
Not to 'dig up' a dead thread (funeral/burial pun), but for those of you playing along, just today the MIL got the insurance check deposited in the bank.
FIL's funeral was July 16 :oops:.
Had she been depending on it for paying his funeral/burial expenses with it, he would be really moldy by now:rolleyes:
Edit: Oh, the check should clear in a couple of work-days and the money actually be available in her account on 10-06-20... to cover expenses, that had to be paid on 07-14-20.

Last edited:
Lucky you, after I paid for my mother cremated, $2300.00 & I told my brothers I would pay 1/4 of open & closing, but they must give our sister their fair share first. Six month & they have not gave her any money. I was told the cost could be $3000.00.

I said I wanted to be cremated and my ashes spread on my first wife's carpet. My current wife didn't think I was funny. I've only been married the once.

Dad's cremation was a couple grand. We went to the crematory, told them what we wanted, and wrote the check. We got on the plane, came home. They picked him up from the hospital and his ashes arrived a week or so later. He'll sit on the hearth till Mom joins him and they will be sprinkled at the same time.

Latest posts

Back