WW2 Thanksgiving Menu - aboard my Dad's ship 1943

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Duncan

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Damn! My old Dad was a Coastie, too, but he was fortunate enough not to be an LCVP driver during the second War. Blessed be your Daddy, all the Coasties, and everyone in the Greatest Generation who fought and died for us all!

Cabin Fever

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Damn! My old Dad was a Coastie, too, but he was fortunate enough not to be an LCVP driver during the second War. Blessed be your Daddy, all the Coasties, and everyone in the Greatest Generation who fought and died for us all!
My Dad always said that he enlisting into the Coast Guard because they told him, "You'll be safe, all we do is protect the coast." The problem was, according to Dad, they never told him which coast he was going to....

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My FIL was on one of the ships that got blown up in WW11 and my son has the story. He said he walked over all kinds of burning,screaming sailors to get to eat then later to life raft and broke his leg diving to get into raft, he always had problem with that leg,and the memories.
I forgot if it was the Japanese or Germans who sank that ship.
I do recall we lost alot 400 ships in that war or was it 200,anyway it was alot of ships.
Wonder if it was the Bizmark that sank his ship too.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was deployed on 2 Thanksgivings and the Navy went all out to feed us.
Same thing at Christmas. The only problem was standing in line to get into the mess deck. During a big holiday meal 4 to 6 hours was not an uncommon wait time. Lots of guys to feed on an Aircraft carrier and everyone took their time eating.

CountryGuy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Same thing at Christmas. The only problem was standing in line to get into the mess deck. During a big holiday meal 4 to 6 hours was not an uncommon wait time. Lots of guys to feed on an Aircraft carrier and everyone took their time eating.
Was deployed only one Christmas, in fact we flew out 10 days before. Got to Oki and Christmas dinner sucked as the MS crew flubbed the food order in the handoff between battalions. As I recall we got chicken ala king or chicken tetrizini or some such. They did make it up to us later in January after they had supply chain working. Our off Saturday they set up for a turkey dinner with the fixin's which was nice.

Neb

Jack of all trades master of some
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Military thanksgiving dinners were great!

My father was career Air Force and we had dinner on base many years. Then while in the Navy it was just as good. My mother researched the recipe for the stuffing and scaled it down to make it part of the family tradition.

Ben

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
One of my most memorable Thanksgiving meal was while deployed. While all of us would have certainly rather have been home with family, that was beyond our control. We enjoyed the meal and each other's company nonetheless. The menu we had looked similar to that 1943 menu!

rice paddy daddy

Old Soldier
Neighbor
One holiday season in Colorado, another one in Vietnam.
My thoughts and prayers at Thanksgiving and Christmas are always with our men and women away from home, some for the first time. On land, at sea, in the air, stateside or combat zone, they are all my Brothers and Sisters.
And I always quietly ask God that the riflemen of the infantry each get a hot meal.

Since Vietnam, the holidays have not been a happy time for me. At first my wife couldn’t understand, but after 32 years she’s learned to live with it.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
August 4,1790??

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In the 1980s' we got TP & candy with "C" rations, not cigars & figs.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Good to see you, Duncan.