Yanmar tractors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So I think I may be able to purchase a used compact in the near future finally. I have been watching Craigslist for about a year to see what is available and what is a good deal. I was thinking kubota but even used the are pricey. There are quite a few yanmar available from 6k to 8k with FEL around 24 horse. I read the tractor posts and got some info. I wanted to ask you all what your experience was with them.

Wish I could help but haven't heard of them... had to google to see what they looked like.

The only thing I know about that company is that they build/sell haying equipment for small tractors.

I had a neighbor who had one. I think he bought it broken. He had to put some gears in it. Don't know if that is one of their problem areas or not. I see them cheap around here but can't help wondering if one would be better off buying an older ford. There seems to be plenty of them around and that means good parts availability as well as implements. I see ford 8n for around a thousand fairly often.

I have a Yanmar 1510D, around 18HP 3L diesel, 4 wheel drive, FEL and a category 1 PTO with a rototiller attachment. I paid $8700 for the package.
Admittedly I don't use it a lot but it has worked flawlessly when I do use it. The only issue I have had was changing the oil. The drain plug is right by a bracket for the FEL so I can't get it out. I bought an oil extractor from Harbor Freight for around $90 and I just sucked out the oil from the dipstick port.
I keep a battery tender attached in the winter and it never failed to start.
There is a place in Texas that sells all the parts for them, including total rebuild parts so that isn't a problem. www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/1510.htm
Being a small sub-compact tractor they can be tippy on hills. You can swap the tires left to right and get a little more width to help stabilize them but my ground is flat so I haven't needed to do that. I will have a rear blade on mine before next winter so I can move snow if I need to.
If I was going to buy a tractor I would buy a Yanmar again. However if I had it to do over I would not buy a tractor of any kind. I just don't need one that often to make it a smart purchase for me.
If you have any question just PM me.

Yanmar makes, or has made, the small diesel engines for John Deere tractors for quite some time. I wouldn't be afraid of the motor at all.

For around 8k I'd be looking at bigger, older tractors. More capability is always better, and a front loader on a little tractor isn't good for much. Im thinking a 60-70 HP tractor here. I've seen a 105hp tractor ( Oliver 1800) in good shape other than the steering was worn out, sell at auction for less than $4k. Fix that and add a used loader and youll probably be looking at less than 10k, and you'll be able to do some work.

Yanmar being Japanese is a tractor that I would not be afraid of. Think kubota.

As far as machine size, you can do a lot with a small tractor but it will take longer. Still faster than a shovel. All depends on how you look at it.

Now a mahindra is a different story. Neighbor has a small on and is fairly easy on it but still broke the frame in less than a year. He has moved a lot of dirt with it too.

Thanks for your inputs. We have 14 acres I just need it to brush hog move some dirt now & then and clean up brush. I think adding a grapple would be good.

Yanmars are Japanese - but just not as durable as a Kubota. I had a John Deere 850 (made by Yanmar) - I bought it broken and fixed it. it's just not as tough as an older Kubota.

Newer Kubotas are built pretty "cheap" anymore.

Kioti is a very good make, solid & tough tractors. So are Branson. Both made in south Korea.

Mahindra is an Indian name. I do NOT like the made in India units.
A Mahindra made in South Korea by the TYM company is a very good machine.

Back