Yo!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
My name is Buster and I’m stuck in an apartment in New Jersey.... HELP!!!
I’m not homesteading yet but getting closer every day to a place where I can make, build and grow my own.
Note: I am dyslexic, communicating in the written word is difficult and time-consuming for me. Please excuse misspelled words and confusing sentences etc. But I believe it will be worth the time writing for this forum. Hopefully I can return to you the knowledge information and entertainment I’m sure I’ll get from you al
Good morning. When I worked as a nanny I lived in NY for a while and visited NJ a lot. Nice area. I hope you are having a great day and will one day be able to homestead like you want to do. Just remember you can do anything you set your mind to and work hard to reach your goals.

Just to be clear: I am not sensitive about my dyslexia or anything else I can think of. If I make a mistake in my texts and it’s funny... laugh, tell me about it, then laugh some more. I feel that laughter is essential and fantastic, even at my own expense. Feel free to laugh with me or at me, I do it all the time.
One of the things about people with dyslexia that many people do not realize is that they have high IQs. They are really smart people. Dyslexics are often genius level IQs. They are smart, but this has often not been known by much of the world.

One of the things that Sally Shaywitz says in her book is that the big thing about dyslexia is that dyslexics do not hear sounds in their heads like the rest of us do. Many people think that it is about letters being jumbled up when they are viewed. Nope, that is dysgraphia. So sounding out words, like I was taught to do by my first grade teacher, doesn't work so well for dyslexics.

I went to school with a boy, now old man, who was about as severely dyslexic as anyone I have ever known. I came from a school class of great people, and many people helped him to pass school. I found out after I graduated that a group of girls waited around until the teachers mimeographed the tests for the next day, and then took the master out of the garbage and helped Bob to learn the answers so that he would pass the tests and graduate from h.s. The girls of course knew the answers before the test, and it helped them to get good grades and probably skewed the curve for tests as well.

I also have a cousin that I believe is dyslexic, relative to how he struggled in school. The one thing both of these guys have in common is that they frequently mispronounce words.

Welcome from a fellow Jerseyan. I’m also in an apartment but I got a nice backyard. Most of my gardening is done and raised beds and pots. Can’t have chickens in my part of the Democratic People’s Republic of New Jersey, but I get by.

So what exit? Lol

I grew up just outside of Newark, exit 143
I’m a lot farther away from the parkway now but a good place to start would be exit 153

You Jerseyans! have to share, I spent a single winter day in NJ, a very very long day. The “what can go wrong next?” kind of day. An engineer in Philly took a week of vaca. I was sent to service the local catscans. I drove down from Buffalo so at least I was in my truck instead of a rental car. Stayed west of the city, seems like Chester something? I got there in time for an approaching snow storm.

Next morning I went to Rahway NJ. Raining, sleeting, icing, the road was one long pothole. I get there but couldn’t find the little hospital and the CT. I happened to see a different hospital. Thought someone there could give directions. The first two people I saw were ct/mri service guys. A different company and my competition. They gave me directions… so I thought.

Their directions led me straight to the main gate of the NJ state prison. I had to laugh… it was funny, was something I might have done. 🤣

I finally found the ct by lunch, finished my work but it was snowing when I left town. Next stop was a clinic in Manahawkin. It’s down on the shore, sort of in the middle of nowhere. Already dark and everything was closed because of the snowstorm. Couldn’t even get a burger and I was starved.

Anyway, I was hurrying through maintenance when I got arrested. The clinic staff told me how to set the alarm when I left. But evidently one of the staff set the alarm by mistake when they left. Later that evening I was working away when cops showed up and pointed guns at me. That delayed me an hour or so, got it straightened out though.

There was 5” of snow on the ground when I left Manahawkin for Philly. It was still snowing but the roads weren’t too bad. But then, it was snowing so hard... I missed the Ben Franklin bridge into Philly, ended up in Delaware. :rolleyes: I can honestly say Wilmington is beautiful at night in a snow storm. Couldn’t see crap! So glad I was in my truck!!!

I think I got back to my hotel about 2am, exhausted, starved. I can laugh now but that night I never wanted to see Jersey again. 😁

Last edited:
I found Potatostan on a cross country road trip a little over a year ago. I stayed up in Oldtown.
Don't worry I will not tell anyone where I found it
You'd be surprised at how many of our trucks and cars have a bumper-sticker that reads: "Idaho Sucks. Tell All Your Friends."!

But it's a great place for a prepper. Most of the state is mountains, forests, and rivers; with tremendous hiking, backing, hunting, and fishing. Lots of national forests; in the south and east it's mostly farm country, where most of the towns are. Good farmland, with volcanic soil and lots of sunlight. However, the southern part of the state is pretty dry with about 10-12 inches of rain per year. The snowpack is pretty good this year which means the canals will be ready for the summer crop season. Of course, we're still going through the megadrought, which is probably going to be a fact of life for all of us.

We have a very high number (and percentage of the population) of LDS; prepping is part of their faith, with strong recommendations of the Church to build up a year's supply of food and water, pay off your bills, and be ready for whatever type of S hits the F. They make the best neighbors, always available to help a n00b with farming and gardening.

Minimal state intrusion, including home-schooling, Second Amendment stuff; and low land and home costs, especially if you're from back East. Of course, like every Western state, we're stuck with the Invasion of the Californicators, so buy now while your homestead is still within your budget.

Bring your stuff and come on out, but remember to tell all your friends that Idaho Sucks!

I have friends living in Idaho (Sandpoint) and they say the influx of people from the Left Coast is getting worse every month... and real estate prices are going through the roof, kinda like they have in Arizona. However, Joel Skousen still gives Idaho 5 stars (maximum rating) in his book STRATEGIC RELOCATION, for all the reasons Old Whatshisname has mentioned. If I already owned property up there, I might be tempted to relocate, but even when I checked real estate prices a year ago, most properties were out of my financial range. :confused:

I love teachers. Without the help of countless teachers throughout my youth I would be nearly illiterate. I cherish your sentiment your help and your understanding. But you are recommending a book to a dyslexic, I hope we can all laugh at the irony.
I work at a community college as a supplemental instructor/tutor in math physics and engineering. I hope I can pay forward the care you have given to your students and the help my teachers gave to me.
Welcome to the club.

I am certified dyslexic covered under the ADA.

I graduated with an Engineering Physics degree with a minor in digital electronics. Learned LabVIEW where spelling and syntax didn't matter. Made career of it.

I have to admit it does rub me the wrong way when people call my screw up " careless" mistakes because I do care.

Ben

You Jerseyans! have to share, I spent a single winter day in NJ, a very very long day. The “what can go wrong next?” kind of day. An engineer in Philly took a week of vaca. I was sent to service the local catscans. I drove down from Buffalo so at least I was in my truck instead of a rental car. Stayed west of the city, seems like Chester something? I got there in time for an approaching snow storm.

Next morning I went to Rahway NJ. Raining, sleeting, icing, the road was one long pothole. I get there but couldn’t find the little hospital and the CT. I happened to see a different hospital. Thought someone there could give directions. The first two people I saw were ct/mri service guys. A different company and my competition. They gave me directions… so I thought.

Their directions led me straight to the main gate of the NJ state prison. I had to laugh… it was funny, was something I might have done. 🤣

I finally found the ct by lunch, finished my work but it was snowing when I left town. Next stop was a clinic in Manahawkin. It’s down on the shore, sort of in the middle of nowhere. Already dark and everything was closed because of the snowstorm. Couldn’t even get a burger and I was starved.

Anyway, I was hurrying through maintenance when I got arrested. The clinic staff told me how to set the alarm when I left. But evidently one of the staff set the alarm by mistake when they left. Later that evening I was working away when cops showed up and pointed guns at me. That delayed me an hour or so, got it straightened out though.

There was 5” of snow on the ground when I left Manahawkin for Philly. It was still snowing but the roads weren’t too bad. But then, it was snowing so hard... I missed the Ben Franklin bridge into Philly, ended up in Delaware. :rolleyes: I can honestly say Wilmington is beautiful at night in a snow storm. Couldn’t see crap! So glad I was in my truck!!!

I think I got back to my hotel about 2am, exhausted, starved. I can laugh now but that night I never wanted to see Jersey again. 😁
If you take out that Newark/Elizabeth and Hudson county/across from Manhattan area….NJ is a really pretty state. Lovely forest and mountains (perfect for hiking and horseback riding), beautiful shoreline, loads of history (just ask General Washington about its importance). At one time there were more horses in Jersey than Kentucky. And let us not forget the Pine Barrens with the Jersey Devil. @Pearl might know about that legend.

If you take out that Newark/Elizabeth and Hudson county/across from Manhattan area….NJ is a really pretty state. Lovely forest and mountains (perfect for hiking and horseback riding), beautiful shoreline, loads of history (just ask General Washington about its importance). At one time there were more horses in Jersey than Kentucky. And let us not forget the Pine Barrens with the Jersey Devil. @Pearl might know about that legend.
South Jersey was beautiful!! Grew up on a 600 acre ranch not far from the pine barrens! It's now a golf course and condos☹️.

Just to be clear: I am not sensitive about my dyslexia or anything else I can think of. If I make a mistake in my texts and it’s funny... laugh, tell me about it, then laugh some more. I feel that laughter is essential and fantastic, even at my own expense. Feel free to laugh with me or at me, I do it all the time.
Heck, just say that you drink beer and you will blend right in with the rest of us🤪. Nobody will notice.
I grew up dyslexic also, being both right-handed and left-handed. I still get a 'b' and a 'd' mixed up.
Welcome adoarb aboard!
62288-Toast.gif

Last edited:
I have friends living in Idaho (Sandpoint) and they say the influx of people from the Left Coast is getting worse every month... and real estate prices are going through the roof, kinda like they have in Arizona. However, Joel Skousen still gives Idaho 5 stars (maximum rating) in his book STRATEGIC RELOCATION, for all the reasons Old Whatshisname has mentioned. If I already owned property up there, I might be tempted to relocate, but even when I checked real estate prices a year ago, most properties were out of my financial range. :confused:
Like the man says: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained..."!
It depends, I believe, in a lot of things:

• Can you afford to move to what would be a "BOL"? The easiest way -- outside of winning the lottery or being born into a rich family -- is to sell enough of your stuff to finance your new home. In Dawn's and my case, it meant selling our Mesa AZ home, paying off the bills and leaving for Idaho. But I know some people -- mostly in their thirties or forties -- who actually quit their jobs, moved to a new location, got a job, and started saving and looking around for a small homestead and invested the necessary sweat equity to build it up.
    This won't work if you aren't willing to sacrifice a lot of whatever luxuries you already have; for us, it wasn't feasible starting all over again in our 60's and 70's, but if you can afford to tighten your belt for 4-6 years to get that down payment in while learning about the people and other bits of information about your new home, you'll be in good shape.
  • Do you have the support of your family? The equation here is really simple: If your spouse and dependent kids won't move, then you don't go. It's that simple.
  • Are you really convinced that the world will get a lot more stupid dangerous (war, climate change, EMP, Biden's re-election, Trump's re-election, or whatever your personal bête noir is) in the coming future? If you don't -- and prepping is just a hobby or fantasy -- then hang up now and dial "911". I mean, WTHeck?
By the way, there's nothing wrong with deciding to stay where you are, if you can't meet the conditions. One of the key goals of a survivalist is being flexible with your future; playing the hand you're dealt; and remembering it's your life and your responsibility. It took us years to determine that we needed to move to a new home, another year or so to run a threat analysis and amelioration study*, then choose the southern Idaho location based on our study, and another year to sell the house, get rid of most of our stuff, and load up the moving van.

* and that research is a whole other story, but it was the only way we could plan our future!

Last edited:
This thread seems to be in danger of jumping its guard rail

My thoughts on dyslexia might deserve their own threat, but I don’t know where it would fit this HCL forum

This welcome thread has caused me to think more about my dyslexia than I have in the past 10 years. Thank you

Dyslexia is an umbrella diagnosis that covers a wide range of symptoms/difficulties loosely connected by a common thread or theme of experiences. To understand one persons struggles with dyslexia is not to know them all.

For me an analogy could be; think about writing in a foreign language you don’t know much about. You have an idea in your head but to communicated by text you have to translate it into that language first. Then reading is the reverse, you need to decipher the string of symbols back to their meaning in English. In the end you’re never quite confident you have sent the right message or you’re clearly understanding the message sent to you.

Just to give you some idea, I’m already over an hour into writing this post.

I don’t view my dyslexia as something that’s broken or needs to be fixed. My brain just seems to be wired differently. While reading and writing was truly a nightmare through grade school the benefits the “wired differently“ gives me in physics and engineering is worth it. Give me a two dimensional schematic of a complex three-dimensional object and I can usually just see the object, roll it around in my head and view it from all perspectives, no real thought required. It works in the rest of life struggles too. They say view a problem from a different angle or think outside the box, I come pre-programmed for that.

I’ve never thought of it this way but when I look at a page of text I think I’m looking at individual paragraphs as objects not as a string of symbols trying to convey message or meaning.

And thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum.

This thread seems to be in danger of jumping its guard rail

My thoughts on dyslexia might deserve their own threat, but I don’t know where it would fit this HCL forum

This welcome thread has caused me to think more about my dyslexia than I have in the past 10 years. Thank you

Dyslexia is an umbrella diagnosis that covers a wide range of symptoms/difficulties loosely connected by a common thread or theme of experiences. To understand one persons struggles with dyslexia is not to know them all.

For me an analogy could be; think about writing in a foreign language you don’t know much about. You have an idea in your head but to communicated by text you have to translate it into that language first. Then reading is the reverse, you need to decipher the string of symbols back to their meaning in English. In the end you’re never quite confident you have sent the right message or you’re clearly understanding the message sent to you.

Just to give you some idea, I’m already over an hour into writing this post.

I don’t view my dyslexia as something that’s broken or needs to be fixed. My brain just seems to be wired differently. While reading and writing was truly a nightmare through grade school the benefits the “wired differently“ gives me in physics and engineering is worth it. Give me a two dimensional schematic of a complex three-dimensional object and I can usually just see the object, roll it around in my head and view it from all perspectives, no real thought required. It works in the rest of life struggles too. They say view a problem from a different angle or think outside the box, I come pre-programmed for that.

I’ve never thought of it this way but when I look at a page of text I think I’m looking at individual paragraphs as objects not as a string of symbols trying to convey message or meaning.

And thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum.
Same here.

Ben

Latest posts

Back