You are a suburbanite, looking for rural land. What do you look for?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacitus

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Minimum acreage recommended? I'd like to have quite a few acres, but mostly I don't want to see another house from my house. 10 acres? 20? More? Maybe just 5???

Water: I'd like year-round running water, preferably clear. A pond or lake might be nice. A well. I would accept less land if it had access to water.

Mix of forest and pasture.

Farmhouse.

I'd like to be off the beaten path. I had a great uncle who had an awesome farm that is no longer in the family. His gravel road to his house accessed another gravel road, which accessed a two lane paved road. I always thought having a gravel road to get to my driveway would be nice. When I'm at my place, I would want peace...which means no road noise if possible.

What is the GOAL......?

If the "Goal" is warm fuzzy happy rural, and charming......nice place to spend time and live there.

But if the "True" goal is a location to survive a serious SHTF event......that is different.

Either is perfectly OK.......but they are very different. So in my opinion one needs to be honest with themselves about the true goal.

Acreage wise - count me in the more the better camp.

If you are also surrounded by larger rural blocks - then you are likely in a serious farming area and you will be really getting away from the urban scene.

Other key considerations:
  • Topography - flat land is the most productive/easiest to farm - but also the most expensive. Undulating land means you need less to achieve privacy and views. High ground the is the most defensible
  • Land use of surrounds - what is the land at your boundaries. Same as yours or gov or other
  • Where does your water come from - surface runoff is easy to trace - groundwater is more difficult
  • Soils & climate - will determine what you can grow, when and how much per acre
  • Fertilizer history - again influences the productivity
  • Pasture mix - what grasses and legumes are growing there now?
  • Weeds - neglected land can take years to cleanup - each year that goes by, more of the herbicides that work are getting banned
  • Residues - you may want to get the land tested to see what residues remain from historic use of DDT etc. Even if you don't care, it will influence the market value
  • Drainage/flooding - when there is too much water, where does it go?
  • Wildlife - if you are hunter, what wildlife is around and when?
  • Aspect - South facing land will be more productive
  • Local rules - building permits, dams/ponds, rainwater collection, sewage, boundary fencing, access to electric.
  • Existing facilities - sheds, barns livestock yards, fencing, gates, roads, old dwellings
  • Timber - for stock shelter, wind breaks, construction, craftwork, fuel and fence posts?
  • Subdivision potential - for when you have had enough and are ready to leave.
  • Amenities - for health care etc - many people buy land then get old and need frequent medical support. That is a common reason for land to get sold.
  • Proximity to people - make your own choice about what you want - community or seclusion.

I like everything in @Hardcalibres list, plus you may want to check the hunting regulations in the area you are considering, there may be minimum acreage limits on the size required to hunt your own property. I know people who own 10 acres but they cannot legally hunt their own property because their state requires 13 acres, there are also minimum distance from buildings requirements. I know it complicates things but knowing ahead of time is always better that an expensive got-ya.

I like everything in @Hardcalibres list, plus you may want to check the hunting regulations in the area you are considering, there may be minimum acreage limits on the size required to hunt your own property. I know people who own 10 acres but they cannot legally hunt their own property because their state requires 13 acres, there are also minimum distance from buildings requirements. I know it complicates things but knowing ahead of time is always better that an expensive got-ya.
Good point - in Oregon it's 135 acres for LOP tags (many sudden changes last yr. so maybe it's changed.)

What ever and where ever you buy land you need at least water rights and a well. For my use I need mineral and air rights to 8000 feet AGL. Check if there are rights of way across your property - you can't use that land. It could be for electric, cell towers, or microwave rights of way The government likes to control river shores and lake fronts so be sure to ask about zoning, BLM, DNR, and restrictions for endangered species. Check for leases and whether they can be modified or renegotiated.
If you never bought this kind of land before (or even if you have) get a real estate lawyer involved before you sign anything. That can save you a fortune! The lawyer works for you - an agent or broker works for the seller and they cost a lot more than a lawyer.

We live on 14 acres and can see 4 other houses, but it's not an issue for us. As far as laws and zoning people here are known for doing whatever they want. We went to get a building permit and people came out of the woodwork to see the who was getting a permit for our neighborhood. It was that odd.

I think water is most important, for two reasons. First, having your own water supply that you control, that can't be shut off from the outside like rural water service can be. This is paramount. Surface water tends to be non potable wherever you're at. I suppose in some remote areas it may be clean enough to drink but I wouldn't trust it.

Second, make sure you won't have water damaging your property in case of flood or erosion. I've seen people build nice places on bluffs above the river, then have to scramble 25 years later to stabilize everything because the river started undercutting them. And the maximum flood water line from the past, isn't necessarily the maximum line for the future. Also check that your road access isn't easily compromised by flood waters. Being cut off in a natural disaster sucks.

I would suggest becoming intimately familiar with the Web Soil Survey.

If possible, "own your view." In other words, you may fall in love with a property that overlooks a gorgeous, pastoral scene....that you don't own. The year after you buy the place, the majestic forest is cut down or the expansive sheep pasture becomes a used car lot or gravel pit. In other words, try to own everything that that you cans see from your porch and yard.

I ask daughter today who is buying land .Not even a light in that little town,lol. I told her have fun with the isolation,she thinks she is ready for it, Already bought 7peeps one turned out to be a rooster.She is so proud of the little crappers,lol.She said one keeps bowing up at her,I said a roo.Her house keeper told he it was a roo .Now she is worried something will happen to it if she gets rid of it. Its 10 days old.One has pasty butt so I told her how to cure it,now ,no more pasty butt. So she is inspecting butts.

Last edited:
What is the GOAL......?

If the "Goal" is warm fuzzy happy rural, and charming......nice place to spend time and live there.

But if the "True" goal is a location to survive a serious SHTF event......that is different.
For me, both, I suppose.

I want the latter...not necessarily to survive a serious SHTF event like the Walking Dead level scenario, but to be out of the way. I think any SHTFing will happen in urban areas primarily. I just want to watch it all on TV...and be mostly self-reliant if need be.

But, I also want a place where the kids will want to bring our grandkids to hang out and relax and enjoy nature...assuming no SHTF occurs.

Back