You end up in the Ozarks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
You find yourself at an abandoned camp site in the Ozarks (darn those black outs). You have nothing with you except the clothes on your back. There is however some abandoned gear from the camp site that you can use to survive and make your way back to civilization (presuming you even want to). You may select any 5 items from the following graphic to create your survival kit. What would you choose?

2019-09-20_0739.png

Assuming I am dressed to be outdoors and for the weather: (for some reason without my gun)
Not knowing the Ozarks but trying to get back to civilization...
Knife
Rope
First aid kit
Flare gun
water purifier

If I was trying to stay "lost" the selection would be different.

I would go with:

Water Purifier
Knife
First Aid Kit
Flint & Steel
Hunting Rifle

I would seriously consider the Flare Gun to replace to the rifle, unless the wooded area was dry.

Assuming I wasnt planning to be there and had none of the stuff I typically have with me. I'll go with:

Water Purifier
Knife
Flint/Steel
Boots
Rifle

I generally have most items like these or would substitute for either on me or in the truck. The rifle is all I would pick from the list then.

But in general I'm with Dademoss, why leave such a nice place.

Grew up in the Ozarks. Based on those experiences, I'll take the following:
Tarp - shelter (especially from rain), ground cloth, pack bag
Water purifier - lots of water available in the wild, but definitely needs purification prior to drinking
Toilet paper - life is much better if you avoid cleaning up with poison ivy (don't ask how I know, just trust me on this one)
First aid kit - snakes, critters and bugs are all big issues in the Ozarks
Knife - obviously handy

Grew up in the Ozarks. Based on those experiences, I'll take the following:
Tarp - shelter (especially from rain), ground cloth, pack bag
Water purifier - lots of water available in the wild, but definitely needs purification prior to drinking
Toilet paper - life is much better if you avoid cleaning up with poison ivy (don't ask how I know, just trust me on this one)
First aid kit - snakes, critters and bugs are all big issues in the Ozarks
Knife - obviously handy

I was waiting for someone to select TP. :D

If I find myself lost in the ozark's it's a plane wreck and I'm probably sticking in the camp and wait it out. But to bug out,
I'm going with the raft because I'm not wandering around with no direction in the woods. It can also be used as a tent.
The rifle, because I have seen "Deliverance."
The flint and steel.
The water purifier because the raft won't haul enough TP if I don't.
The fishing rod, so when Sentry drops by I can offer him dinner.

I’ve never been to the Ozarks although they sound lovely.

A tarp
Water purifier
Knife
Fishing gear
Rifle - I am assuming it comes with ammo - otherwise it is just a stick

Tough choices because a lot of those other items would fit in my pockets. I’d love the tp and bug spray. The flint/steel would be very handy as would the compass. I could wrap most things in the tarp and use it as a pack.

The clothes on my back when I travel always include sturdy walking shoes or hiking boots ( typically a knife, flint, compass, rope (ok paracord), a bandanna, a magnifier, a small multi tool, a lifestraw, a whistle but for the sake of the game I am assuming I have none of them.

Back