You get a phone call

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
on Monday that cousin is in hospital with heart problems again. This is 100% blockage in a vein. Aunt lives in AL, and they are near St. Louis MO.
You are leaving the next day to take her there. You do not know if you'll be gone 3 days, or 1 week, or longer.

Can you do it? Think about it. This is a different type of being prepared.

This is a good topic! Having people locally who are of the same mindset who can house-sit while you're gone would do a lot to put my mind at ease. Then I'd take however long I need to transport the loved one.

Getting time off work wouldn't be a big issue.

Fortunately, none of my family or friends are alone way far away.

Yes. I could do it. This is assuming I am going alone, so my wife would be staying at home keeping an eye on everything. It wouldn't take me thirty minutes to pack for a week, and all of it would fit in a carry-on case. If you had to stay longer find a laundromat. You're going to Alabama, right? They have stores there. You aren't getting air dropped into the middle of the Sahara Desert.

I would drive. Most of what I would need is already in my car. I was a road warrior for years. Having to go on a moments notice, and packing quickly are second nature.

The weather in Alaska just turned to winter making this bit easier scenario. Since we practice subsistence living, the fall is super busy for us and my answer would be much different.

I could probably be out the door given 2-3 hours assuming that flignts were available. Flights typically leave for the lower 48 in the late evening (8 pm to midnight) or early morning (6 am-8 am). It’s about a 5 hour drive to the airport and about 12 hours of time with connection layovers. With this, I would be gone at least 4 days.

Answering this question during the summer and fall would be problematic as it might take days up to a week before I would even know of a problem. And then it could take me days to even get to a location where I could act on the information.

I do not have a homestead to take care of like most of you here. If this happened to us, the wife and I would split up, with the one being most useful for the event being the one to go. The other would stay home to take care of things, and do longer term packing/preparation if the need arose for both of us to travel up there.

I could be out the door in15 min. If it's snowy, I take the truck. If it's not, I take my challenger. That's assuming it's just me going. I have taught the grandkids enough to know what they're doing around here, and they would be fine as long as my husband is around.

on Monday that cousin is in hospital with heart problems again. This is 100% blockage in a vein. Aunt lives in AL, and they are near St. Louis MO.
You are leaving the next day to take her there. You do not know if you'll be gone 3 days, or 1 week, or longer.

Cousin with heart problems is in Missouri. Aunt (cousin's mother) is in Alabama. I'm 600 miles from Alabama a 9 1/2 hour drive. Then another 600 miles to Alabama. 20 hours on the road, I'd fall asleep driving about 10 hours in.

I am already doing it. I left Florida to come help my step dad deal with his cancer battle, then it was Covid. I finally got back just in time for Sally, so I am now back in Virginia. I will probably stay here until spring then head for Arkansas/Texas/Oklahoma to begin my physical dirt hunt. Right now, I am just looking online

If I was going alone I could be on the road in under 15 minutes. I have done it more times than I care to think about. One of my jobs required me to be available 24/7 so I got good at leaving fast. If a CT or MRI scanner is down they want you there yesterday so you better be able to go now.
If my wife was going with me I'm not sure we could even go. Too many responsibilities at home.
If she was going alone she could be gone in under 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back