You have 12 hours notice

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
You have 12 to 24 hours notice of something wicked coming your way. What are you going to do with that time? It could be the storm of the century or perhaps an angry mob with weapons heading your way. it could be anything. Do you have a list of things you are going to do? Any last minute items you feel compelled to get? Where are you going to be when that time is up?

During these uncertain times, I think this might be a good topic to consider right about now. I have a list. Do you? If so, please share.

We do need to get a BOB together we use to have one at all times. I know I'd take the rural backroads to the beach. I would say river but it would be liek a turkey shoot in the middle of the river.I guess the beach may be too in some areas.

Wind storms are pretty much out of the question hear but we do get some strong winds so structures are built to stand up to them.
Floods are going to have to cover most of the globe before they become a problem for me but snow storms and freezing rain happen occasionally. They never last long but they do happen. Power loss would have a larger effect but we have lanterns and I do have a generator that can be used to keep food frozen and cool until it is canned or cooked. Water is not a concern unless the wells dry up, even if power goes down we have backup pumps and we have gas for heat, hot water and cooking. I also have a fire pit and propane that can be used to cook. I can move into my shop if living gets too cold as the shop and garage are built tighter and have more insulation than the house. I have portable toilets if they are needed.
An armed conflict would not last long as in my area we have an armed population that is ready to hunker down in place and help each other all the time. I did a fair job of picking my home but I bought the house with the property so it is not built to my specifications. I did clear the trees that were close to the house and set a fire resistant perimeter. I am looking forward to building a new house that will be more able to be self sufficient from the local infrastructure. I will find a place that has room for grazing and some agro land that I can adapt to self sufficient production for my family and animals. I have already chosen breeds that will fit my lifestyle and provide the food and fertilizer to maintain it.

First thing is to gather up my friend and ensure he is in a safe location.

Second thing is to check for any other friends who might be lurking some place in the cabin. Make them safe.

Then find a good book or two or three good books, check the firewood box is full. Then invite my friend "Jose Cuervo" to join me for a pleasant read, while waiting for the next pending adventure.

Family: Gather the kids who are close by. Check by phone on the kids who are far away. Check on the parents and in-laws.

Supplies: One last trip to the store to stock up on perishables and additional sanitary/sanitation products if the situation warrants. I kind of assume I will be the first to know that trouble is coming because I pay attention more than most. (I beat the panic buyers when covid was coming...just quietly went to the store, and placed some online orders before availability diminished and prices skyrocketed.) So, I tend to think I will have time to beat people to the store. But, if not, no worries. I'm pretty well prepared for a short term disaster.

Awareness: Watch/listen to the news. Wait for trouble to come. I'm not going anywhere.

Distant Relations / Friends:
  • Warn the brother-in-law.
  • Maybe check in with a similar minded co-worker whom I trust, and who would be an asset in any bad situation.
  • Depending on the situation, I might talk to the neighbors, but it would have to be (1) a 100% certainty, and (2) a situation requiring neighborly cooperation, before I would break that ice. I won't be advertising my preparedness unless I think my neighbors will act appropriately.

My plan is to hope no trouble comes to me, and to be prepared for it if it does (and I'm probably as prepared as I can be without sacrificing my normal lifestyle).

Big difference in preparing for a storm and preparing for an armed angry mob.

After seeing the wildfires here in Colorado, I have come up with a few ideas if I were to move into fire territory. I would have a special garage for a large trailer. This would be a nice garage - basically part of the interior of the house, insulated, etc. The trailer stored in this garage would be outfitted inside with chests of drawers, lockers, etc. To hold all the important stuff that would need to go in an evacuation. During normal times, this trailer would serve as a closet, or small room for normal day to day activities and access. The "garage" floor would be a few feet lower than house floor level, so that the large back door of the trailer would be walk-in accessible without needing stairs or a ramp. I would want it arranged so the trailer is an "extension room" of the house. This would probably mean dressing up the inside of the trailer a bit - put in flooring, wall paneling, lighting, etc. At evacuation time, the drawers inside the trailer could be secured in the closed position, everything locked into place securely, and I'd just open the insulated garage door, attach the truck, and drive off. No need for last minute running around to gather stuff, it would all be in the trailer already. Might have to pull some hanging pictures from the walls inside the house, but not a whole lot more than that. Part of the trailers contents could be a set of drawers with spare clothing, food, water, ham radios, batteries, sleeping bags, etc. An "Always Ready To Go and Live Through an Emergency" setup.

This thread has me thinking: My house is suburban, and not easily defensible.

Actually, my street is somewhat defensible.
  • It is remote by suburban standards: We are far from the main city core, and not on a primary route from the city core, so we would not be first on the list of any human group looking for trouble. We would have plenty of warning on that front...probably a few days of warning.
  • It is isolated by suburban standards: We are on a defensible ridgeline, with steep, rough, undeveloped wooded terrain surrounding it, and only one entrance / high speed avenue of approach. So, if we neighbors as a group saw an external threat coming to our neighborhood, and we organized, we could control our neighborhood from vehicle-based external marauders better than most in suburban areas.
But, if the threat is within my neighborhood, my house itself is not easily defended. I have a lot of glass, and multiple points of entry (glass doors). Things would be dicey in a house-to-house situation. I would probably have to be ready to surrender the house, and engage in a guerilla defense...make holding my house untenable for the marauders. I do have woods directly behind my house, but I would have to make the retreat decision very quickly.

Weird to be thinking about these things. I feel pretty well prepared for weather/natural threats. It is human threats that I am weakest against.

Last edited:
@Tacitus I totally get what you're saying. My whole town is 2k people. LEO could easily cordon the town off, but that would be laughable if anyone really wanted in. The whole town is on flat terrain so there's no defensive advantages. However, the townspeople here are armed well and could put up a pretty nasty defensive fight, if organized and effectively led...

But, if the threat is within my neighborhood, my house itself is not easily defended. I have a lot of glass, and multiple points of entry (glass doors). Things would be dicey in a house-to-house situation. I would probably have to be ready to surrender the house, and engage in a guerilla defense...make holding my house untenable for the marauders. I do have woods directly behind my house, but I would have to make the retreat decision very quickly.

Just my opinion.........but I believe most are in the same (More or Less) exact position. I believe most are delusional about their chance of defending their home. I just cringe when I read preppers talking of defending their home. They don't expect an attack from all four sides at same time, including fire started in several different parts of the home.

I get the impression, that many expect a full frontal attack, with loud warning, by only two or three easy targets. And this does not even consider drones for first wave attack.

Given 12 hours notice gives me plenty of time to put a few trees down across the road and lay down some other items to slow their advance, and then I would slip off to a fallback location long before they arrive. Perhaps my application of barriers would frustrate them enough to go somewhere else, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it.

Any other SHTF situation not involving roaming gangs, given 12 hours I might try to get some sleep so I will be fresh. This time of year pretty much everything is buttoned up tight for winter, so not much to really do.

Just my opinion.........but I believe most are in the same (More or Less) exact position. I believe most are delusional about their chance of defending their home. I just cringe when I read preppers talking of defending their home. They don't expect an attack from all four sides at same time, including fire started in several different parts of the home.

I get the impression, that many expect a full frontal attack, with loud warning, by only two or three easy targets. And this does not even consider drones for first wave attack.
Solid points. I shouldn't even really be thinking about "defending my home," from within the home, from a large scale attack. Home defense probably doesn't make sense in any situation other than a typical burglary.

I have put together a web page of traffic cams that are between me and the city, so I can see, real time, what's coming my way. There are several friends and family very close by, all well-armed. We all have established point-to-point radio comms. We would come to each others aid, as needed. An angry mob will disperse when fired upon from several directions in a coordinated attack.

There are current and former LEOs on my street and there would certainly be coordination between several neighbors who I know reasonably well and trust. I have spare handheld pre-programmed radios for them so we can communicate.

If this is absolutely untenable and I am 100% certain to lose my house and die if we don't scram, we have several BOLs planned. We'd use the time to pack supplies and valuables and I'd be inclined to torch whatever is left - the mob gets nothing from me if I have any say. However, being who I am, I will want some retribution; I don't tuck tail and run forever.

Check on the kids and make sure they know what's happening. Due to distance they probably don't have the same issue that we would.

If it's weather, we just hunker down and wait it out.

Riots, civil disturbance, etc. They would not be stupid enough to come up in here for that. Plenty of places to put the bodies. I wouldn't get to fire a shot. They would all be dead way before they got close to my house. LOL!

Dale

Top off my gas if the pumps are still working.

If all electric is out the maraders will also have limited fuel. That puts a limit on how far the populace can reach being on foot. If they are toting their family in carts I estimate they can only move about 7 miles a day giving me about three days to act.

In addition to the idea of dropping some trees...

I would take the back way to cut the locks on the gates keeping the buffalo caged up and set them free. Caged up they would sitting ducks. Set free they can take of themselves and be a possible meat source for the long run.

We have 2 paths onto our hill and I own the place that guards one of them. It is a cider block construction that can be one aspect of a killing zone. My brother knows the guy that can cover the other aporoach.

I wouldn't reach to everyone in the neighborhood initially. Let the transients move along

Last edited:
So for the sake of this scenario, do we know WHAT it is? or just that generally, something bad is on the way?

I have a SOP book that I wrote for my place. Based on DEFCON it is divided up into four categories of threat, each with five levels of response.

I do think most are, I have worked very hard to not be one of those ones. I built my house from the ground up for defense. Moats, slit windows, 5" thick doors, etc. Fire suppression system. Even with all that, I think at best I have a 1-10 advantage against attacks.

Because of that, my defensive plan starts at 10 miles out from my house, and involves closing down the highway to vehicle traffic at a strategic choke point to limit the total number of people who could flood the area.

If your house is not hardened, this becomes even more important.

I understood it as something bad on the way..

if its just generally...'bad stuff but I don't know what' like....I had a bad dream or message from god or something just saying 'get ready' this is what I have in my DEFCON booklet for general threats.

===============================================================================
DEFCON 5 (lowest defensive condition)
Trigger events: No known threaten condition or suspicion of such. Actions: no special actions.

DEFCON 4 (increased vigilance)
Trigger events: any condition that limits the ability of personnel to asses potential threats (darkness, fog, heavy rain, lack of on duty personnel,)

DEFCON 4 must be set at any time all Tower personnel will be absent from Tower property for any amount of time as well as at sunset and any time all personnel are expected to be asleep or otherwise incapacitated.

DEFCON 4 must also be set whenever any outside personnel (known or unknown) enter Tower property
Actions: All animals and personnel accounted for. Doors and windows shut. Power and environmental controls shut down or set to automatic control. Perishable food placed in storage. Weapons located and condition checked. Cell phones and communication devices kept at hand or charging.

DEFCON 3 (heightened security)
Trigger events: Suspicion of possible threat.
Possible triggers include Increasing or dramatic weather events, any loss of electrical power for an unknown cause lasting longer than five minutes. News events such as MEANS alerts, nearby criminal behavior in progress or national emergency. Any simultaneous or compounding loss of multiple communication systems (radio, internet, phone etc)
Unexplained threatening sounds at any distance ( clattering metal outside the door, distant explosions, unknown voices)
Unexplained visual events ( lights in the sky, unusual contrails, unexplained or mysterious motion of trees or brush. Unusual or threatening animal activity (wild or domestic)
DEFCON 3 must be set any time unknown personnel of a suspicious nature approach or enter Tower property (Police, governmental or authority representatives, vehicles operating in an aggressive or suspicious manner, unknown persons on foot on or off road)
Actions: Doors secured, animals placed inside. All personnel accounted for and informed of situation. All personnel awoken and dressed. Cell phones and communication devices kept at hand at all times. If dark exterior lights and/or surveillance activated. Weapons checked, and made readily available. All none essential electronic devices silenced or shut off, including
environmental systems.
Tower is not to be left unmanned at any point.
DEFCON 3 has an automatic thirty minute minimum duration regardless of decreasing threat levels.

DEFCON 2 (High Security)
Trigger events: warning of possible eminent deadly or disastrous threat. Dangerous personnel or animals inbound. Extreme weather in visual range. Catastrophic national emergency (War, pandemic) Global disaster (meteor strike, solar flare)
Actions:
Doors locked, outbuildings and gates closed and locked if possible and preformed safely. Animals placed inside and secured. All personnel accounted for, informed and kept in visual or voice contact. Weapons loaded, rounds chambered, safeties on and all trained personnel armed and in guard positions. Body armor worn. No personnel to leave tower or defensive works alone and/or unarmed. Clothing and other equipment to be donned if possible and if time allows but weapons and security measures take precedent. All equipment set to manual operation or disabled. Nuclear Biological or Chemical (NBC) equipment made ready as well as food and water located within easy reach of guard positions. Electronic equipment silenced.
Automatic 24 hour duration.

DEFCON 1 (Maximum security)
Trigger events: Presence of deadly or disastrous threat on Tower property.
Actions: Same as in DEFCON 2 with the following exceptions: Weapon safeties off, free fire authority given. NBC gear donned and operational. No non essential communications of any kind. Assume that forward positions will be destroyed/overrun and be prepared to fall back to inner positions.
If threat is none reactive (natural disaster, etc) Weapons condition to be maintained as per DEFCON 3 and greater priority given to proper clothing for the situation.
DEFCON 1 is a de-facto state of war. As such all external laws and customs are rescinded and tower personnel will not obey or respond to external orders or communications.
Duration indefinite but under no circumstances to be lifted until threat is eliminated or absent. =============================================================================

If we knew a safe area to drive to, two hours to load the RV and 10 hours trying to convince the wife we need to go.

If we didn't know of a safe area, top off the water in the safe room and the rest of the time trying to convince the wife to get into the safe room and stop trying to round up the stray cats.

I realize I'm new to the site but I thought I would bring this up. Infantry is taught to NEVER enter a building if there being attacked. Entering a building, or staying in a building narrows or eliminates your tactical options. It does seriously increase the tactical options of your enemy.

Unless you know MOUT warfare, have 100's of sandbags and a group trained to defend your location. You may be better off keeping your options open.

Dale

Wind, snow, and rain are weather, not emergencies. Every roof I ever installed has survived a 100 MPH wind. we have an old welder's oxygen cylinder hanging from a beam on the front porch. The bottom has been cut off and it is now a bell. While reading this thread it started chiming due to the wind. It's just another average day in paradise.

Fire? Deploy the hoses. Cover the chain link fence near the house with steel roofing. Wet down the roof, walls, and yard.

Mob? Highly unlikely, but possible. I'd dig 2 or 3 foxholes so as to defend the house from outside. I'd make bear boards for any unmanned foxholes. Load more magazines and deploy food and water to the defensive positions. Dig out the night vision and radios and make sure they have fresh batteries. Dig out the camping cooking gear.

The volcano might give that much notice but we're ready for that. Earthquakes don't give any notice, you just hold on and shout, "Yippie kai yea, XXXXXX XXXXXX!" Not much else that would threaten my home directly.

A mob showing up out here (except for hunting season maybe) is extremely unlikely. If one did happen to get very, very lost most of the people up here are ranchers or retired military and LEO's with enough arms to fight a war. Even the few tree hugger types I know are armed.

I'm like @Neb, I would top off my fuel supplies(propane and gasoline), make sure all my battery banks and battery packs are all fully charged, make sure the I have sufficient water supply, possibly fill up the tub-containers, fill some 5 gallon buckets for sanitation water. Then if I had time I would make 1 run for Ice, fresh food(veggies and fruit), some bread, and junk food... and dig in. I would make one night-time inspection to make sure there are no visible light sources from outside. Then I would go into silent mode....

I realize I'm new to the site but I thought I would bring this up. Infantry is taught to NEVER enter a building if there being attacked. Entering a building, or staying in a building narrows or eliminates your tactical options. It does seriously increase the tactical options of your enemy.

Unless you know MOUT warfare, have 100's of sandbags and a group trained to defend your location. You may be better off keeping your options open.

Dale
You may be new to the site but not to many members here. Speak out, your advice is desired.

Latest posts

Back