You have 12 hours notice

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put radioactive stickers on a few trees leading up to the property. No matter how much you think it is fake, NOBODY wants to take that chance.

1604441020139.png

One like this uses the numbers and text to warn of a toxin that affects animals and humans that has no treatment and is fatal.

Attachments

• BioHazard.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 15
Sorry, I find the idea of trying to 'bluff' a defense to be a pretty bad idea UNLESS whatever you are faking, is a real, and common threat in your area and all you are doing is moving the location.

Think of human nature. At least a barricade says "This person is serious about keeping people out and has the means to do so." an obviously fake sign says "This person WANTS to keep people out but only has this stupid sign to keep them out"

I think a NO TRESPASSING sign, maybe next to a windchime made from shell casings, would have a more chilling effect on anyone than a "Radioactive" sign ever would. Getting shot is an easy to imagine threat, because its a real one.

People know that there aren't an radioactive exclusion zones just randomly placed out in the woods of Montana.

mSHi8.jpg

Sorry, I find the idea of trying to 'bluff' a defense to be a pretty bad idea UNLESS whatever you are faking, is a real, and common threat in your area and all you are doing is moving the location.

Think of human nature. At least a barricade says "This person is serious about keeping people out and has the means to do so." an obviously fake sign says "This person WANTS to keep people out but only has this stupid sign to keep them out"

I think a NO TRESPASSING sign, maybe next to a windchime made from shell casings, would have a more chilling effect on anyone than a "Radioactive" sign ever would. Getting shot is an easy to imagine threat, because its a real one.

People know that there aren't an radioactive exclusion zones just randomly placed out in the woods of Montana.

mSHi8.jpg
Yes signs alone are not a barier. But if they stop one group bonus.

Ben

Yes signs alone are not a barier. But if they stop one group bonus.

Ben

I guess what I'm getting at is that fake warning signs will do more harm than good. I don't want potential attackers to think I'm the kind of person who thinks fake threats are going to stop someone. Even no sign at all I think would be better.

I guess what I'm getting at is that fake warning signs will do more harm than good. I don't want potential attackers to think I'm the kind of person who thinks fake threats are going to stop someone. Even no sign at all I think would be better.
Agreed.

There should be a guard just up the road from there that will clear up any confusion.

But I it never comes to that.

Ben

Criminals do bad things because they enjoy the rush. That hazmat sign would likely not get through because they wouldn't understand the threat.

If you kill a crow and hang it up other crows will stay away because they see and believe the threat. You want a threat that is believable, a defence that makes the effort too costly, or to stay unobserved. You could also become a Venus flytrap, look tasty and then drop the hammer before they even know there is a threat.

I just thought of this thread today after having a dream last night that I had 12 hours to pack the truck and camper with anything and everything I needed b/c (for some reason that I can't remember) I knew I wasn't coming back. That's a weird dream, b/c I can't imagine what might ever happen that would drive me away from my home permanently. I really hate to say that though, b/c 2022 has just started after all. :oops:

I'm glad I came back to this thread b/c I haven't really considered the winter clothing and gear that I typically use and that I would need to take. I keep thinkiing that if I had to pack the truck and camper, I'd probably overload the camper! I already have things in the camper like dishes, tools, blankets, atlas, walkie talkies, and such. It's kinda hard to imagine what I might need when I wouldn't know why I was leaving, where I was going, or any of the circumstances surrounding my departure. But......

Right off hand here are the things I would want to take:

*important papers (most of which are already located in a fire safe)
*guns and ammo
*cash & PM's
*LTS foods (most of them are dehydrated and lighter)
*fill camper with water
*extra propane (if room allowed in the truck)
*generators
*extra gas/fuel
*dog food
*med kit
*supplements and OTC meds
*extra clothes and coats (mostly winter based, since summer clothes are already in there)
*extra shoes and boots
*canned meats and veges
*berkey and life straws
*mini solar water heaters
*fishing gear
*butcher knife set and bubba knife
*more food storage bags
*charcoal & lighter fluid
*DEF and oil - a gallon or two of each
*more of hubs nice tools (although, I'm sure he'd cover that part)
*milwaukee chainsaw with extra batteries (charger already in camper)
*chainsaw oil and sharpening kit with extra chains
*TP
*shampoo, laundry soap, and dish soap
*small laundry wash board and large plastic tub
*cast iron stew pot with fire tripod
*shovel
*butane lighters with extra butane cannisters

I'd probably ransack the camper and ditch the stuff that wasn't necessary to make room for the important stuff. I'd also go through areas where I keep my 'good stuff' and look for things that I had forgotten about. I'm sure I'd also raid the pantry with my laundry baskets and take what I needed like dry soup mixes and other things that were light.

Criminals do bad things because they enjoy the rush. That hazmat sign would likely not get through because they wouldn't understand the threat.

If you kill a crow and hang it up other crows will stay away because they see and believe the threat. You want a threat that is believable, a defence that makes the effort too costly, or to stay unobserved. You could also become a Venus flytrap, look tasty and then drop the hammer before they even know there is a threat.
So you're saying if I nix a poo-head to hang 'em in a tree and it will keep others away? Okay got it - mental note, quit burying them 😂 I'm laughing, but I bet it'd work!

It's winter. Its turning out to be a cold snowy one. If I felt pressured to abandon my son's home, it would take me thirty minutes to load the truck. It would take ten hours to drive home if the roads were passable. If not, I stay put and deal, for better or for worse. If I we're already home, I would stay put and damn the torpedoes. There is nowhere I could go that would improve any situation. I will go down with the ship.

"When I'm rich" (tm) I'm going to set up a homestead where there is a large high ceiling insulated/heated garage. And I'm going to put two large trailers in there that back up to loading docks that go into the house. Those trailers would be treated like additional rooms of the house, and would be accessible easily (totally inside the heated garage). Inside the trailers would be all the important stuff we would want to bug out with. All packed and ready to go, but packed in such a way that things are still routinely accessible for day-to-day activities. On the outside of the trailers would be lockboxes pre-packed with loaded defensive firearms.

Also strapped on the outside of the trailers would be small lightweight off-road motorcycles (and also pedal mountain bikes as a backup). So if we ran into a hopeless traffic jam during an evacuation and time was of the essence, we could just abandon the trailers (sad) and take off on the motorcycles or bikes - which could easily get around any traffic jam. Easy access mounts for firearms on the motorcycles would be mandatory - no doubt others stuck in the traffic jam may try to take the motorcycles from you. Hopefully you could zip by on the bikes several yards off the side of the road and flank everybody unmolested. But if not, leave those folks behind, shot and dying, if they attack you and defense becomes necessary.

I don't have this setup currently. But I wish I did. Even if everything is all organized and packed for an evacuation, you still would have to carry it out to the truck and load it up before evacuating. I dream of an "evacuation ready" setup. Close and lock the trailer doors, open the garage door, hitch the trailers up to your trucks, and drive away. Five minutes, tops. Trailers, and the trucks that haul them, would be pre-equipped with two-way radio gear of some sort.

No hurricanes, tornados, floods, or earthquakes here. Forest fires are the only possibility and the home place has that covered as well. Low level zombies will have some difficulties getting here and high level, high tech. zombies are a whole different ballgame; hence, down with the ship. Oh, I forgot grizzlies. We have grizzlies. Lots of grizzlies and black bears. Don't pet the doggies.

I just thought of this thread today after having a dream last night that I had 12 hours to pack the truck and camper with anything and everything I needed b/c (for some reason that I can't remember) I knew I wasn't coming back. That's a weird dream, b/c I can't imagine what might ever happen that would drive me away from my home permanently. I really hate to say that though, b/c 2022 has just started after all. :oops:

I'm glad I came back to this thread b/c I haven't really considered the winter clothing and gear that I typically use and that I would need to take. I keep thinkiing that if I had to pack the truck and camper, I'd probably overload the camper! I already have things in the camper like dishes, tools, blankets, atlas, walkie talkies, and such. It's kinda hard to imagine what I might need when I wouldn't know why I was leaving, where I was going, or any of the circumstances surrounding my departure. But......

*guns and ammo
*cash & PM's
*fill camper with water
*generators
*extra gas/fuel
*dog food
*med kit
*extra clothes and coats (mostly winter based, since summer clothes are already in there)
*extra shoes and boots
*canned meats and veges
*berkey and life straws
*fishing gear
*more food storage bags
*TP
*shovel

I'd probably ransack the camper and ditch the stuff that wasn't necessary to make room for the important stuff. I'd also go through areas where I keep my 'good stuff' and look for things that I had forgotten about. I'm sure I'd also raid the pantry with my laundry baskets and take what I needed like dry soup mixes and other things that were light.

Certainly a good list, Angie. Maybe you consider it as part of your important documents, but do you include your family Bible? In ours we have things like birth, marriage, baptism, obituaries, genealogy records. Some family photos?

Certainly a good list, Angie. Maybe you consider it as part of your important documents, but do you include your family Bible? In ours we have things like birth, marriage, baptism, obituaries, genealogy records. Some family photos?
All of that is in our fire proof safe, except the bible. I'd have to grab mine along with my inspirational Jesus book and photo on the wall. I thought of a bunch of books I'd want to take, but I abandoned that idea b/c they'd be too heavy and take up too much room.
What kind? Are they Amateur Radios?
Yes, just basic Cobra walkie talkies, along with a scanner that's already in the camper. If we had time we'd also grab the CB out of the other truck. There's also already an emergency radio in the camper.

All of that is in our fire proof safe, except the bible. I'd have to grab mine along with my inspirational Jesus book and photo on the wall. I thought of a bunch of books I'd want to take, but I abandoned that idea b/c they'd be too heavy and take up too much room.

Yes, just basic Cobra walkie talkies, along with a scanner that's already in the camper. If we had time we'd also grab the CB out of the other truck. There's also already an emergency radio in the camper.
Same here. Not enough room in the big fire proof safe for the bible being filled with guns ammo gold and silver.

I obtained a big old family bible and restored the cover and fixed a few loose leafs at the front. It included a marriage certificate included that I had the minister fill out and sign when the Princess and I were wed. He did have to line out the word "eighteen" and write in "nineteen" hundred for the date.

Ben

I just went through this thread and gathered all the information I had and added the other inputs on this thread that were relevant to my situation. I just put it on a document and will print it out on a hardcopy the next time I have my printer warmed up. I just realized that my current hard copy wasn't updated, so I cut and pasted everything below into one document. I'm going to print out 3 copies. One to have at work, one for the house, and one for the camper. That way, no matter where I'm at, I can grab it and go. I'll probably also just leave a copy in the car.

If I'm missing stuff on the list, let me know and I'll update it before printing it out.
Thanks for the input everyone!

*put gallon water jugs in freezer (if room allows) if it's not winter outdoors
*do all the laundry
*do all the dishes (load the dishwasher and start the load)
*fill gas tanks in vehicles and any other empty gas cans
*unplug everything and turn off breakers if there might be an EMP or grid down situation prior to event (if known)
*call immediate family and have them fill their vehicles with fuel and fill up their cars with food & essentials and head over
*pull batteries out of vehicles and put them in basement
*fill empty tubs with water
*buy propane tanks in town if able to do so
*get guns out of the safe and place them in strategic places with applicable ammo
*recharge cell phones and/or any low batteries
*make sure fire extinguishers are ready to go
*go to local grocery with list of last items to get only if it's safe to do so
*hard boil eggs that are in the frig
*after everyone is here, have hubs take logs and gravel to the end of the driveways and block them off.

*guns and ammo
*cash & PM's
*fill camper with water
*generators
*extra gas/fuel
*dog food
*med kit
*extra shoes and boots
*canned meats and veges
*berkey and life straws
*fishing gear
*more food storage bags
*TP
*shovel
*winter coats, pants, long johns, boots, heavy socks, hats, gloves and warmers

You have 12 to 24 hours notice of something wicked coming your way. What are you going to do with that time? It could be the storm of the century or perhaps an angry mob with weapons heading your way. it could be anything. Do you have a list of things you are going to do? Any last minute items you feel compelled to get? Where are you going to be when that time is up?
Nowhere to go and nothing to do. Just fix a stout tequila drink, and watch it happen., and react as necessary. Sorry I have zero lists. However, I did start being trained in the late 1940's and about 1952 or 53' it became training with punishment and discipline for failure, or childish lack of interest. So, my serious training and "Boots in the Field" living it totals 70 some years of learning.

It has been my experience that "Living IT" is the key, most are unwilling to endure. All the books ever written on the subject at hand, are of zero value when dealing with a serious SHTF event.

Or if the rest of the wheels stop rolling in adequate numbers as they should north of the 49th.

I fill my own tanks off the wet leg or liquid retrieval line on my big tank.
I have a hand pump for propane but haven't used it in years.
KUTO2KTl.jpg

SC7Qy22l.jpg
I am interested in this. I have a large tank but don't have the hose or hookups to transfer from the pig to the smaller tanks. Could you (or anyone) list exactly what I would need to do that and perhaps where I might get it from?

The 12 hour notice has officially been given. I won't be saying what the plan is. You all have about a week if the wheels start rolling in any numbers.
Yeah, I feel that way too, which is why I revisted this thread today. I'm hoping to get some more ideas that I haven't thought of. I will probably go on a cash spending spree this week to spend on things I probably don't need, but will eventually (someday) use.....at least that is my hope. At this point, I'd rather have WAY more than I need.

Sourdough....yeah I get the living it mentality. I'm not at the point where I am completely self sustainable, for several reasons that I won't go into here. So, you probably won't find anything valuable in this thread. That's OK. But for those of us who aren't living in the mountains and want to be as prepared as possible with where they are today, then this thread might have some value. Input on that level is what I'm looking for. Also, if you were in training in 1950....that means you were likely born (conservatively) 1935, which would put you at about 87 years or older? If I were at that age, it would likely change my strategy.

Last edited:
The 12 hour notice has officially been given. I won't be saying what the plan is. You all have about a week if the wheels start rolling in any numbers.

Did I miss something?!

Not worried about natural disaster where we are, not likely. Pandemic been going on for years now, not worried about it. If it was going to kill us most likely it already would have. Food still available in stores, so no angry city mobs on the move. War in Ukraine a possibility but not going to affect us here. Mostly I worry about daughter in Navy in case of war but it's what she chose to do. So what is the scenario? Is there an asteroid heading our way I haven't heard about?

Also, if you were in training in 1950....that means you were likely born (conservatively) 1935, which would put you at about 87 years or older?
I was six y/o in 52' and that is when serious training started, complete with discipline. Before that it was training but was made to be "fun", child entertainment fun.
I am of the opinion that what is coming, will be, far more horrific than preppers will allow themselves to consider.
World War One was a nothing burger compared to WW-II where an estimated 66 "MILLION" humans died, most from death by starvation. It makes me sad, that so many take what is coming as if it is to be a severe weather event lasting two or three months. Best thinking is that WW-II actually started with the Spanish Civil War 1936 to 1939.
WW-II officially started September 1, 1939 and lasted six years.
(1936 to 1945 is (9) Nine years)...........why are people preparing for months or a few years......???
Hundreds of millions are going to die..........for one simple reason. "NORMALCY BIAS".

I was six y/o in 52' and that is when serious training started, complete with discipline. Before that it was training but was made to be "fun", child entertainment fun.
I am of the opinion that what is coming, will be, far more horrific than preppers will allow themselves to consider.
World War One was a nothing burger compared to WW-II where an estimated 66 "MILLION" humans died, most from death by starvation. It makes me sad, that so many take what is coming as if it is to be a severe weather event lasting two or three months. Best thinking is that WW-II actually started with the Spanish Civil War 1936 to 1939.
WW-II officially started September 1, 1939 and lasted six years.
(1936 to 1945 is (9) Nine years)...........why are people preparing for months or a few years......???
Hundreds of millions are going to die..........for one simple reason. "NORMALCY BIAS".

ww2 rationing went on 12 years for various products.

To be honest, the first thing I would do is hit my knees and pray. Then I would call my daughter and brother and telling them to get here.

I have a BOB, but with an 89 year old mom and a special son, I will be hunkering down. That said, I would be hiding all of my extra money, jewels, ammo, guns. I have the place ready, but am holding off putting in my last minute additions. I guess I would get my Generator into place and if it's winter, I would split more wood. Water, lots of water in the tub. Now my head is spinning just thinking of my do do list.

Latest posts

Back