You just never know about folks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have an old friend call me up today and say " you bring your pup up here I need to talk to him!" Most everyone in the area thinks that my friend is the grouchiest old fart god ever blew breath into. 25 years ago I felt the same way! He sicked his dog on me when I was a young man and I kicked the dog off of me and went straight after the old codger. He told me he liked my grit and after a few years we became friends. He's an old man now but still a hard old man and he has taken a liking to my "pup" over the years. He has always made sure that he had a fishing rod, pocket knives and boy stuff. Today he gave him a Thompson 50 cal carbine, I had never seen a muzzle loading carbine but its the perfect size for a kid! I don't know which of them was the most tickled today the pup or the codger!

jacobs carbine.jpg

jacobs carbine1.jpg

I have an old friend call me up today and say " you bring your pup up here I need to talk to him!" Most everyone in the area thinks that my friend is the grouchiest old fart god ever blew breath into. 25 years ago I felt the same way! He sicked his dog on me when I was a young man and I kicked the dog off of me and went straight after the old codger. He told me he liked my grit and after a few years we became friends. He's an old man now but still a hard old man and he has taken a liking to my "pup" over the years. He has always made sure that he had a fishing rod, pocket knives and boy stuff. Today he gave him a Thompson 50 cal carbine, I had never seen a muzzle loading carbine but its the perfect size for a kid! I don't know which of them was the most tickled today the pup or the codger!

View attachment 1327

View attachment 1328

What a gift that is. Nice! I bet he will never part with that gun. Like you said ' you never know about people'. We have a honory man next property over we just ignore him but always wave sometimes he waves back sometimes he doesn't.

Loved the story. A keepsake forever. When I was 10, my next door neighbor Mr. Flightmaster (I either can't remember his first name or never knew it) introduced me to woodwork. He had a small shop and made wooden stools from tree slabs. I really liked that old man and it was a sorry day when we had to move away. None of his family every came to visit him and they will never know what they missed out on. I don't remember the names of most people I have met but I will never forget his.

Loved the story. A keepsake forever. When I was 10, my next door neighbor Mr. Flightmaster (I either can't remember his first name or never knew it) introduced me to woodwork. He had a small shop and made wooden stools from tree slabs. I really liked that old man and it was a sorry day when we had to move away. None of his family every came to visit him and they will never know what they missed out on. I don't remember the names of most people I have met but I will never forget his.

This old fart never had any kids and has very few family members left. It's just something to see him soften up around a kid.

There ya go ...You truly never know what people may be thinking..
That is awesome...
That boy will NEVER forget that.

My oldest GS is 16 now,
when he was 8 or 9 yrs old, a grouchy old phart, up the road, knew I was always shooting with the boy,
He stopped by one day and gave him a Marlin 60, brand new, outta the clear blue,

To this day my GS asks about him, and stops by to see him often.

Thats a special kinda friendship.

Jim

There ya go ...You truly never know what people may be thinking..
That is awesome...
That boy will NEVER forget that.

My oldest GS is 16 now,
when he was 8 or 9 yrs old, a grouchy old phart, up the road, knew I was always shooting with the boy,
He stopped by one day and gave him a Marlin 60, brand new, outta the clear blue,

To this day my GS asks about him, and stops by to see him often.

Thats a special kinda friendship.

Jim

I told him it was too much and he didn't have to do that. He said listen here boy I'm 77 years old and when I'm gone they'll sell all my junk at an auction and it won't bring nothin! I would much rather he has it because I know he'll care for it and use it! He did make one stipulation he gets a loin out of the first deer Jake kills with it and Jake has to clean it. Then he said if your dad butchers it he'll probably get a bunch of hair on it......

We never really know about people and what has happened in their lives to make them the way they are. That crusty outer shell is a self defense, probably the result of a painful childhood.

His first wife was not a very nice person and he lost his second wife to cancer. I always figured that had a lot to do with it.

I told him it was too much and he didn't have to do that. He said listen here boy I'm 77 years old and when I'm gone they'll sell all my junk at an auction and it won't bring nothin! I would much rather he has it because I know he'll care for it and use it! He did make one stipulation he gets a loin out of the first deer Jake kills with it and Jake has to clean it. Then he said if your dad butchers it he'll probably get a bunch of hair on it......

LOL, bless the old mans heart.

That is so cool! Your boy is lucky to have those types of people im his life! and i guess you were lucky to have been attacked by his dog or none of this would have happened. So why did he sick his dog on you anyway?

For the fun of it! I bought a steam cleaning rig and cleaned heavy equipment for a living when I was 21. I got a contract to clean equipment on a large highway project he was the chief mechanic and was a royal a hole to me. I had been laying under a 963 cat loader washing under it after the belly pan had been removed. I was laying in water covered in grease. He always had a mean ass blue healer with him and as soon as I crawled out from under the loader he sicked that damn dog on me. I was a kid and there were several middle aged equipment operators there I think they thought it would be funny to watch me run from the dog. They all found out something about me that day and I never had a problem with anyone after that.

Well, since there seem to be a lot of Pess's old friends here, and I kind of like the attitude of everyone here, so I'll jump in and give you a "Pess rundown." Embarrass the hell out of him if he knew about it, but I just can't resist...how many people do you know that are multi-multi-millionaires that are "regular people?" Pess is regular people, even after losing 30 years of memory to brain surgery. As the saying goes, "The surgery was a success, but the patient lost his mind." But he is still super intelligent, and studies, researches everything six ways to Sunday to get at "what's really what." I've known him for well over 35 years, so I remember the "before and after." And with his penchant for study, I'm hoping he will regain his old attitude about SHTF potential and get back to "normal." Met him in a bar (where else?), he was shooting pool with a couple guys...me, I was sitting at the bar sucking a Bud. Guy a few stools down slapped the crap out of his girlfriend (I guess she was his girlfriend), knocked her clean off the bar stool. Pess walked over, looked at her, looked at him, did a spinning back fist and put the guy clear into next week...no talk, no warning, no nothing. Guy picked himself up off the floor, and Pess just said, "Reckon you know what that feels like now. Might be time for you to leave." I will NEVER forget that!! You could have heard a pin drop in that place. Bartender came over, gave Pess a beer, and said, "Congratulations, you just earned yourself free beer for the night. I've wanted to do that for a long time." Was Pess the rowdy type? Nope. He was an up and coming real estate jockey, suit and tie, and practically lived in his office. We got acquainted, discovered we were both helo pilots, and have been friends ever since. The man was an absolute genius when it came to real estate....you know all those morons who write books about how much money they made in real estate, but really make their money selling books? Well, Pess sold the real estate, didn't write no book, and made a whole lot more than those self-proclaimed experts ever thought about making. And he concentrated a lot on helping a lot of the military guys get their first homes by buying up foreclosure and tax lien homes and selling them to the military guys at about 60% market value. He also had an eye for the "big ones." I remember one piece of property, 80 acres, raw land, he bought for $35,000 and turned it into a $6+ million long-term operation for a local church...turned it into a cemetery, selling plots for a mere $100 each. Church paid him $150,000 for the property. (Did you know using 5' x 10' plots, you can bury over 870 people per acre?) No, he didn't make a whole lot of money on the deal, but how many people would have seen a $6+ million potential out of that raw land, just for plot sales, and never mind all the other ways a cemetery makes money. The man has a 9 digit bank account, owns a chunk of a bank, among a lot of other things....and lives in an old mobile home on 3 acres with his two dogs, drives an old beater Tahoe, runs around in camos and carries a .380 like it was glued to his back. Built a better than million dollar BOL, 50 miles from nowhere, USA, and now he can't even remember building it....told me to take care of it, and my son and I will do just that. They just don't make people like Pess any more. Would I stand up for him? You better believe it...ANYONE who messes with him will have to mess with me, too, and my son, and his cousin, and the bounty hunter that's a tenant in his other mobile home, and his brother, because we're ALL coming after you. One fella has already learned that lesson, and I'll say no more about that! One of his dogs has an interesting history, too. "Bo" was about to be chunked into a dumpster at a local Walmart because the owner didn't want the sickly "runt of the litter"....Pess happened to see the guy and the bag squirming, and walked over to see what was what. To make a long story short, Pess acquired the pup after a brief "discussion" with the owner, bottle fed the little fella for a while, got him started on puppy food. That was over a year ago, and Bo now weighs a bit over 90 lbs, and at night you couldn't pry him out of Pess's bed with a crowbar. Pess had a DNA analysis done on him, and he's half Black Lab, quarter Great Dane, quarter Weimeraner, and he sure isn't a "runt." Pup just had worms real bad is all. Just knocks me for a loop seeing Pess lose 30 years, bang, after the surgery. Keep hoping the old Pess will come back, but it's been a while now, and no sign of memory recovery yet. Anyway, that's the kind of guy Pess is, and even though he doesn't remember ever being on a Forum, or anyone who was on the Forum, he says, "Thank you for the best wishes and prayers." VenomJockey over and out. (That's Dead Eye to you Lizard! Robopilot says "Hi," too.)

I'm glad he has good people to look after him and not take advantage of him not knowing he had money. A worse family could have robbed him blind and he wouldn't of known. Thank y'all for that.

Pess has more and better people guarding his back than fort Knox. The cousin will always make sure he is well fed. Dead Eye, Robopilot and the Bounty Hunter will make sure no bad folks get near him. My little lizard spies will keep a watch over him too. It is said that time heals all wounds and we will have to wait and hope for is complete recovery.

I'm glad he has good people to look after him and not take advantage of him not knowing he had money. A worse family could have robbed him blind and he wouldn't of known. Thank y'all for that.

Hah..if it were left to the OTHER side of Pess's "family," they WOULD have robbed him blind. Bunch of Liberal holier than thou types. But the side of the family Pess associates with are almost all in law enforcement, or blue collar types, and are pretty good people. He has nothing to worry about. The Lizard has it right...better you should mess with Ft. Knox than Pess.

VenomJockey,
Thanks so much for the update on Pess. He is a great guy, and I really miss his posts. I worked many years ago as a neurosurgery nurse, and have seen other craniotomy patients also lose memories like that. I've also seen them regain memories as the brain healed over time, so we will all just have to pray for Pess that his brain can create new pathways to find old memories!

Civilized nations used to teach Latin in school. Can you imagine fhe furor if they wanted to do that today ... in some areas teaching English is almost discouraged, and I am not talking about in strange or exotic foreign lands

It's a wonder they aren't teaching Eubonics, or making Spanish mandatory. Alea iacta est

Latest posts

Back