You Won’t Believe This Mountain Lion’s Diet

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
You Won’t Believe This Mountain Lion’s Diet
https://www.themeateater.com/conser...ent/you-wont-believe-this-mountain-lions-diet

snippet from article

Over a 15-month period, the lion killed and ate 24 badgers, the most common animal it preyed upon in that window. During that time, the cat also ate one mouflon sheep, one feral dog, two porcupines, eight beavers, and nine coyotes. Besides odd eats, Brokenleg killed two mule deer, two antelope, and 17 elk. Nine of the elk were calves, six were cows, and two were bulls.

Not many big cats left now so his days are numbered. I know Floria Pantheres are all but gone now in their place are pythons.

Hunting permits are adjusted yearly as New Mexico tries to maintain an adult population of roughly 2000.

Lots of animals eat porcupine. They turn them on their back and eat from the belly in.
Animals seem to have more common sense than most people.

There are plenty in the surrounding counties to the west, northwest, south, and southwest from here. Even though the Texas Parks and Wildlife Division says it's not so (because they haven't spent thousands of dollars on setting up observation for a couple of months), but the Sheriff's Dept and county medical examiner say it is true. There is a disagreement as to what killed a young man in these parts recently, he was found on his property after he went missing. Parks and Wildlife say that in a 100 year period there have only been 30 or so deaths due to mountain lion/cougar/panther in the U.S. The feline has not been located.
Apparently there is a fb page for this general area that has seen some action: photos posted of the big cats, footprints, "damage" done to pets, farm animals. Plenty for them to eat in Texas.

I was looking at some property with a friend that finally asked me why I kept looking up at the rocks above us. It had kinda a cliff.

I told him the airborne rangers were not the only thing that attacked from above. He got the hint.

An ongoing situation around here . Dogs are disappearing . Somewhere around 7 0r 8 dogs have disappeared within a quarter mile radius within the last 18 months . The biggest loss being my trail dog , a registered 100 lb. bloodhound that could trail down man or beast up to a 17 hour old trail . -- We at one time had a mountain lion denned up in a cave only a short distance from the missing dog area . However that lion wandered about 200 miles off and a idiot deer hunter killed it . Only 2 dogs remain . A neighbor just called a few minutes ago to tell me one of the remaining dogs came to his house frantically scratching on the door , wanting inside . When inside the dog went running around in the house with it's tail tucked low and its head down , acting very strange . That dog sleeps inside my house at night and has seldom been to the neighbors house . Also this particular dog is a very strong and has dominated all the dogs in the neighborhood so it's fear is notable . I could think of several possibilities for the missing dogs , but a mountain lion is quite possible .

There's plenty of lion around don't kid yourself as humans become weaker the lion's will put long pig on the menu. Same with coyotes, coydogs , Wolf and Wolf hybrids. Pets are definitely on the menu for all the above. The more humans are anti hunting , the more they will become the hunted.

Latest posts

Back