You wont believe what wood chips will do (video)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree on wood chips, for 3 years we used them between rows of crops and as a crop separator and where the wood chips were the TN clay is now darker soil(notice I said soil not clay). I am a big fan of this method myself especially if you are in clay soils.

i have been adding wood chips to my raised beds for many years. They break down in a year or two. With clay soil, leaves and wood chips seem to be a great way to amend soil.

We have too also we add fallen tree limbs and brush and lots of leaves too. It takes awhile to break down but it is worth the wait.
Last year we also added bailed hay to a couple raised beds. Soil under it is really nice and dark now instead of sandy clay.

Thanks @JamesY for the video and our soil here is similar in our new homestead but we have been amending the soils slowly but surely and like you throwing everything at it dried leaves, compost etc.

It has to help eventually! I long for the day my earth garden produces like my raised beds when they are full of fresh compost
i have been adding wood chips to my raised beds for many years. They break down in a year or two. With clay soil, leaves and wood chips seem to be a great way to amend soil.

Ive heard woodchips will help break up the clay. I suppose from microbial life?

agree on wood chips, for 3 years we used them between rows of crops and as a crop separator and where the wood chips were the TN clay is now darker soil(notice I said soil not clay). I am a big fan of this method myself especially if you are in clay soils.

Have you had to fertilize more with woodchips?

We have too also we add fallen tree limbs and brush and lots of leaves too. It takes awhile to break down but it is worth the wait.
Last year we also added bailed hay to a couple raised beds. Soil under it is really nice and dark now instead of sandy clay.

Hay is next on my list. There is a field near by with many round bales of spoiled hay. I think it would be great for my sandy soil

It is easier & cheaper for me to use coffee waste, mostly chaff in my garden.
It will last 6 months, then it is soil, the quick return makes everything grow.

It is easier & cheaper for me to use coffee waste, mostly chaff in my garden.
It will last 6 months, then it is soil, the quick return makes everything grow.

Coffee grounds?

Fun story about coffee grounds. I spread some on have of my corn. Then a week later spread aged rabbit manure around all the corn. The stuff that got the coffee grounds is much bigger and darker green

Even my weeds are greener.
Chaff is a then shell like onion skin , with a very high flash point, so some coffee roaster operators wet the hot chaff to keep it from igniting.
The wet chaff goes through a heat in the super sack & starts to break down as soon as the sack is full.
But I never thought it would work as good as rabbit manure.
I may use wood chips on asparagus bed, if I can get a load cheap.

Latest posts

Back