Your 3 favorite homesteading/prepping books

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am interested in knowing what are your 3 favorite homesteading/farming/prepping type books? General type? Cookbooks? Etc.
Preferably if they are available on Amazon, but other places would be of interest also.

This will help members be able to find them.

#1..I have the older version(2013) and new updated one just came out this month.(2-24)
The Resilient Farm and Homestead by Ben Falk

https://www.amazon.com/Resilient-Fa...panded-ebook/dp/B0CLL1DDGN?ref_=ast_author_dp

#2 complete set of foxfire books.

Theres about a dozen of these books with several 'extras' too that have been published since the 60's.

These book are a focused how to for southern Appalachian mtn region.

#3 The old original readers digest back to basics book..its the one with the yellow cover.Theres apparently several newer versions of this book.This old original copy could be the ultimate book with just a bit of tweaking like canning timetables for pressure and waterbath.This book will point you in right direction on wide range of subjects.If i could only have one book this would be it.

OIP.uGh0-cYf0bxe6O7H91NyKAHaF8

This is the only book I've run across that states how to properly take care of bear. Lots of good info. I will have to see what others I have. I tend to like historical books to learn how things were done in the past (in order to prepare for the future). With that, in addition to the Foxfire series, the Alex Stewart book is full of info.
1708464870668.png

I don't know if there's such a thing as 'late' to what I hope will be a growing list of good books.

This is new to me, but I've always had in interest in living off the land and being self sufficient. I'll be buying some books.

Another interest of mine is eating healthy with the addition of supplements and correcting health conditions naturally, with diet and without prescription drugs. It's a bit of thread drift but there's some good books about it at this link: https://terrytalksnutrition.com/health-books/

I listen to him Saturdays on a local radio station. There's also podcasts. I get some good information that way.

Last edited:
I found Storey's Basic Country Skills to have a lot of often unmentioned information in it. a very good book for newbies, and the seasoned alike
Late to the show too.

Last edited:
I will just add sometimes reading folks’ memoirs or stories of their youth- Della Lutes, Gladys Taber, and Alice Taylor and one that is from the Depression era “Little Heathens” by Mildred Armstrong Kalish.
Alex Stewart was a walking encyclopedia. Would like to know of more male accounts of the like.

PS: Lutes and Taylor both had me laughing aloud as I was reading.

John Seymours Self Sufficiency book
Country Living Encyclopedia
Sauces Pickles and Preserves
1711105539655.png

The Alsakan Homesteaders Handbook
Charles Dowding 'No dig garden'

Other books I have, all bought in the States so should be accessible

We Took to the woods - Louise Dickinson Rich
Diary of a Wilderness Dweller - Chris Czajkowski
Shadows on the Koyukuk - Sidney Huntingdon
The adventures of the Woman Homesteader - Life and letters of Elinore Pruitt Stewart
Troy Warrens 'Trail' series
Artic Homestead - Norma Cobb
The Good Life - Helen Scott Nearing
Mink, Mary and Me - Chick Ferguson
Land of the Burnt Thigh- Edith Kohl

Latest posts

Back