Your favorite holiday treat?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
Right this very minute my wife is making her most requested and beloved (carb laden) annual holiday treat: caramel, pecan & chocolate turtles. Turtles are her and her mother's all time favorite confection. Year after year they would go to Fannie May or Fanny Farmer and buy them for Christmas. But in 2002 or 2003 when those two companies were one, they started having financial troubles and the quality of their turtles went w-a-y down. My wife decided to take matters into her own hands and began testing out and tweaking recipes until she devised one that put the Fannie May version to shame. In the process she also created quite a demand for her turtles and now she ends up spending half of December standing over a bubbling pot of made from scratch caramel closely watching a candy thermometer. Everything in her recipe is made from scratch sans the pecans of course. Then she boxes them up 8 at a time, half dark chocolate and half milk chocolate, wraps them up and gives them out. Everyone from school teachers, coaches, advisors, youth group leaders, pastors, the mail carrier, supervisors, instructors, secretaries and even the UPS and FedEx delivery people receive a box of turtles. Family and close friends get them in Tupperware containers with a bow, but they receive more than 8 and theirs also include some fancier decorations. By Thanksgiving people are already asking when her turtles will be ready.

20171217_142016-1.jpg

Needless to say these sugary delights temp me every single year. A temptation I intend to give in to, at least a couple times.

What is your favorite holiday treat?

Fruit cake, love all the home made candy, but fruit cake is the best.
No it is not store bought, it home made, the recipe is over 100 years old.
Sadly my wife is the only child who still makes it.

If I bake my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I am defenseless to resist them. They are a true "feel good" food. If I could resist them at all I would keep some around for the days that my pain gets out of hand. They don't take the pain away but they reduce the suffering that accommodates the pain. I guess dark chocolate could do the same thing but it is either too sweet or too bitter. That is why I like the cookies, they are a sweetness balanced treat. The other thing I have made and liked was caramelized pecans. The combination of sugar and pecans can be balanced so these are neither too sweet nor too bitter. Just tasty and not a true "feel good" treat.

I do not partake in it anymore because of the sugar, but one of my favorite holiday treats growing up and into my adult life was a cup of Tom & Jerry. It was a sweet batter put into a cup of hot water and then sprinkled with nutmeg. Adults who consume would add rum and brandy to it as well. I would probably have 10 cups of the delicious mixture every December growing up and my parents would jokingly act like it was the most difficult recipe in the world to create.

tj.jpg

I had to do on internet search on that one. Looks delicious!

I make everything from scratch. The pound cake, custard, whipcream, etc. I do bananna strawberry with toasted almonds and coconut on top.

Come to think of it, if you left out the poundcake, went light on the fruit and used sucrolose making a keto friendly version would be pretty easy. The custard is just egg yolk, milk (cream for keto), vanilla, and cornstarch (or a thickener of choice).

Custard recipe.....

5 cup milk
11 egg yolk (2yolk per cup of milk and an extra)
Cup of sugar or equivalent sweetner of choice
1.5-2 tbsp cornstarch

Put in double boiler and cook slowly on low heat stirring constantly. Dont let it cook quickly or scald on bottom. If you dont have a double boiler, low heat on pot, keep a wet cloth next to stove to put pot on occassionally to keep bottom of pot from getting too hot and burning custard. Remember to stir contantly.
Add some whipcream and strawberries if you want and youre in business.

Latest posts

Back