• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Your papers please...

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

mosquitomountainman

Super Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Got a daughter who works in a grocery store in Illinois. When she went home from work a couple of days ago she was given a letter to present to the police if she was stopped on the way into or going home from work. It gives her "permission" to travel to and from work in (must be) the most direct route.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thanks for sharing that. I wondered how these locked down states were handling people out and about. Although, without martial law involked, I doubt there's a whole lot LEO's can do to enforce the stay at home declarations. I'm totally guessing on that though........anyone know? I'd think it would be really easy to lie your way out of trouble by making up any number of scenarios.

Support Gunner

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Yeah we got the same paper from corporate here at work.

The thing is, they are not really enforcing it. I passed by one sherriff and two cops around midnight and non of them blinked a eye at me.

Last edited:

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thanks for sharing that. I wondered how these locked down states were handling people out and about. Although, without martial law invoked, I doubt there's a whole lot LEO's can do to enforce the stay at home declarations. I'm totally guessing on that though........anyone know? I'd think it would be really easy to lie your way out of trouble by making up any number of scenarios.
National Guard may be brought into this, but maybe the hope is that this will get some people's attention, who have yet to tune in.

Last edited:

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We receive a list from state administration every day. Anyone we encounter in a restricted area gets compared to the list, letter or no letter. However as we are not sheltering in place yet and only have restrictions on state property, all we do is log their identity, tell them to stay off state property, and send them on their way. We need a whole lot more than a shelter in place order to arrest someone for being out and about.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
...We need a whole lot more than a shelter in place order to arrest someone for being out and about.
What law would be violated by a person being out and about?

Yes I believe folks should limit the exposure to others, staying home is one method of accomplishing that.

No I don't believe a Politicians have the Constitutional authority to order American Citizens to do so.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Every state is different, but most (if not all) have emergency declaration powers in law that permit the governor to restrict travel or community access.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My hospital ID badge had a statement on it that said I was essential personnel and should be allowed to travel during an emergency. That was in 1990 so this isn't really a new thing.
Our county health department just issued a stay at home order. I wonder who gave them the authority to order people around. Our worthless Governor has not issued that order but a county office can?

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
...Our county health department just issued a stay at home order. I wonder who gave them the authority to order people around. Our worthless Governor has not issued that order but a county office can?
I'd assume a Health "Official" wants a "me too" moment so they issue an order that could be illegal but the Sheeple will follow.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We've been told to stay home. I never took that for anything more than a suggestion. Grocery stores are open. Likewise doctors offices and other businesses. People are moving but traffic is down.

Businesses are shut down like bars, sit down restaurants, salons, entertainment, and exercise. Anyplace where numbers congregate. Liquor stores and takeout are open.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
We've been told to stay home. I never took that for anything more than a suggestion. Grocery stores are open. Likewise doctors offices and other businesses. People are moving but traffic is down.

Businesses are shut down like bars, sit down restaurants, salons, entertainment, and exercise. Anyplace where numbers congregate. Liquor stores and takeout are open.
I agree with you...it's a suggestion. Unfortunately too many news media headlines read "Ordered" and that is as far as the Sheeple read.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
That's how I'm interpreting it too. It's a suggestion with lots of exceptions. Apparently an exception would be to get the munchies that require a "need" for a Big Mac.🍔

Most around here are already hunkered down for the most part. I don't plan on leaving for at least a week b/c I don't need to, but hubs will still be working. He would be exempt if the order went into effect anyways. I think this is all kabuki theatre. IF this were a true viral emergency, wouldn't martial law be involked? There's just too much about this whole thing that don't add up, although it's really hard to say since we are not being told the truth by the media.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
I never trust the media or the government to tell the truth.
This is not adding up to the catastrophe they are making it out to be.
I have the tendency to agree with you. What puzzles me why would President Trump kill the economy IF he did not have to? I trust him and these actions aren't like him in IMHO.

Rich1028

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
the Company I work for gave us the papers to have on us as well.
Essential Businesses
and our great governor has clause in there saying something to the fact of "going out for a walk,or bike ride...as long as you do not hang close to other people"
well my ass is once again going up North and riding quads in the woods...away from everyone this weekend!

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have the tendency to agree with you. What puzzles me why would President Trump kill the economy IF he did not have to? I trust him and these actions aren't like him in IMHO.
Exactly! Look at Italy to see what can happen. China isn't shipping any medical supplies, equipment, or drugs. We need time to build a response to this war, and we are at war with this disease at the very least.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Exactly! Look at Italy to see what can happen. China isn't shipping any medical supplies, equipment, or drugs. We need time to build a response to this war, and we are at war with this disease at the very least.
Actually China IS shipping medical supplies and equipment, just not to us. They are however shipping items to Italy and other countries. Watched a story tonight where they put Italian poems on the sides of the crates as a sign of support.

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We were just told this afternoon to stay at home. Unless you are essential to work, walking your dog, jogging, getting gas, going for medical treatment, or going to get food. That's basically what we've been doing anyway. Son is wondering when his boss is closing the plant nursery. He said basically that they have to physically come and shut him down. In his mind, plants are essential. Our social numbers were 10, now 5. Governor said if there are more than that in your immediate family (like Sentry's family) then you can't all go out together. We have 5 in our immediate family, as long as son doesn't go with us.
Mom at Mennonite Manor is now on lockdown. To her it doesn't make much difference. No outside guests, no ins or outs. She can't see her sis on the medical unit, but can see her brother who has an apartment a few doors down. They are bringing a large lunch meal to your apartment by request instead of eating in the dining room. She prefers it in her room anyway, because she'll eat junk food to avoid the dining room. Basically antisocial, so this is a piece of cake for her.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I got a call from one of my doctors today and he wanted to have our appointment telephonically. Great, I called another doc and I'm going to have that one on snap chat, whatever that is.

Redhorse

Don't squat with yer spurs on
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Allegheny county in PA, Pittsburgh, has a stay at home order now. My husband got a 'pass' from his employer since he often has to go to that county for his job working on heavy machinery.

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I got a call from one of my doctors today and he wanted to have our appointment telephonically. Great, I called another doc and I'm going to have that one on snap chat, whatever that is.
Well, if he checks your prostate over the internet, I'd like to know how.huh.gif
That guy's got one long finger!
I love the concept of tele-medicine and 'you can do anything with just a smartphone app', but how do they handle someone with a broken arm?

Dr: "Start by having someone yank on it real hard so it doesn't look like this anymore":

Dr: "Then wrap stuff around it until it looks like this":

Dr: "I'll email you the bill".:good luck:

*Satire, not medical advice.

Last edited:

mosquitomountainman

Super Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
MMM, Amazing to see you hear this morning! I hope that you and Sue (forgot her online name!) are well!

I believe that what your daughter is experiencing is going to be happening all over America. It is a matter of time.

Internet access has been a problem. I haven't got this site on my phone so I have to boot up my computer which is often more work than it's worth. We spend a large part of the year in our 5th wheel in places away from cities and good cell service. The place we were this winter had very poor cell service. Best time to get online was between 5:00 am to 7:00 am. Any other time was poor at best.

We headed home from AZ about a week ago. Normally it would have been another month before we began heading north and we'd have taken at least a month to get home (NW MT). We considered riding it out there (we were in the desert west of Pheonix). We had plenty of supplies (at least three months) and had stocked up with extra when we first saw things heading downhill. We got what we needed to round out our supplies before the general public panicked. With the Corona virus and the general population going nuts we decided to head home early. I promised our 5th wheel and our diesel PU that they would not have to endure cold weather but I had to winterize it when we got home and chain up the truck to make it up our road (still has ice in places). It's snowing lightly now but the wood stove is putting out plenty of heat. Scott is on his tablet, Susan is doing one of her projects. Life is good and our neighbors are good people who are also prepared. We've kind of put ourselves in a 2 week quarantine to be sure we didn't bring anything back with us.

Highway traffic on I-15 was down noticeably. Some local traffic near cities. Mostly trucks on the highways. Lots of Canadians who cut their stay short were heading north. People were friendly all the way but cautious.

We went through Salt Lake City about two hours after their quake and the second hit after we were through there. It's about 100 miles of white-knuckle-driving and road construction with the 5th wheel but to go our other way (up Hwy 93) had other concerns to worry about.

Feel sorry for some people. Susan went in to town a couple of days ago to get some yeast and a couple of other things and to see what was happening. One of the cashiers had broken her glasses and couldn't find anyone open to replace them. We have three kids in grocery stores. Two are in management but currently everyone is on the floor working (a lot of people quit because they didn't want exposure to the virus and it's real easy to get unemployment now). We hope they don't get this stuff.

We thought about filling a couple of extra propane cylinders (100 pounders) but the propane company wants us to drop them off, pay over the phone, then pick them up the next day. We found a gas station to fill them at. We didn't want to make two trips into town. The station cost more but we didn't have to make a second trip in which saved money and time. We will remember the propane company's BS. I'd rather pay more and go to someone who believes in taking care of their customers.

This is a good practice run for preppers. Don't forget to take notes!

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@mosquitomountainman , thank you for the update. I have followed your blog and understand that the internet can affect your ability to post there. Scott must be around 7 or 8 now. I think that being in Montana would be safer than Arizona, although the numbers show that Montana has had more people infected than in Arizona. (If I remember correctly.)

mosquitomountainman

Super Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@mosquitomountainman , thank you for the update. I have followed your blog and understand that the internet can affect your ability to post there. Scott must be around 7 or 8 now. I think that being in Montana would be safer than Arizona, although the numbers show that Montana has had more people infected than in Arizona. (If I remember correctly.)
AZ has quite a few more than MT but none in the county we were in.

Scott is nine and shoulder high now. Growing like a weed!

Group Builder