Your three or five favorite "ONIONS" for flavor.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The #1 survival onion is the egyptian walking onion. its not for slicing up and putting on sandwich and such.Its for chopping and dicing for soups,stir fry's etc..

You cant kill the things.I till them under and they still come back.They self seed if left to mature and tops fall over and take root spreading them.Cold hardy as well...it gets -10-15f here and they live.Dont know how much colder they take.If i was you i just put a layer of mulch over them in fall if you plant a bed to have and expand.

Vidalia
Walla wallas
Texas Sweet
Theres use to be a big white onion grown in Peru that was good..had no name but you seen it in stores in my area.

Never met an onion I didn’t like. For onion pie, or on a sandwich, I like a Vidalia or Walla Walla. A friend just gave me walking onions last year, they are great for salads, soups, or stews. She popped the seed pods last fall ans spread them in the open area of my large planter. The red onions add color and they either taste better or your eyes think they taste better. For the basic I don’t want to run out of them onion, it would have to be the yellow.

Chopped fresh, sauteed, roasted 🤤 All good.
I usually prefer the purple varieties but they don't "keep" well.
With any of them, it's as much about the soil as it is the variety.
Supposed to leave 5 years between planting the same earth in the way of rotation. Most farmers don't and as a result they become hot.

I get my onion slips from https://dixondalefarms.com/.

Pattersons are very good, but getting hard to find. Highlander is a close replacement for them. Both are very good keppers. I also grow Red Torpedos,, great tasting, but don't keep much over 2 months. There are other reds that are good as well.
The best sweet ones are Vidalia's, Texas Sweet, and Grano's are very similar.

White... red... pickled? Listen I can barely keep up with a few wild edibles there's no frigging way I'm gonna remember all these fancy names for every domestic veggie 😂
You only really need two categories: edible and non edible 😊

Red and pickled are amazing

Don't know if this counts. However, I have red hair, and regularly get pickled on tequila.
No women have found me "amazing".:drink buddy::drink buddy::Dancing Chicken::Dancing Chicken::Dancing Chicken:

I tried leeks recently and thought they were really good.
Each type has a place on the menu and in certain dishes.
Vidalia onions are really good, sweet, good on a burger.
I like spring onions in my tuna sammich.
Red onions, they're really strong and good in some salads.
I haven't tried many others, Texas sweet onions are okay too.

Red/purple onions are great raw, fried, in dishes or pickled( boil them for a few munities & they will be bright pink when pickled).
White & yellow are substitute when you are out of red onions.
Garlic is good the same way as red onions.
Have not had leeks yet, well I have elephant garlic, but not the leeks.
Walking onions are good, but small.
Nesting onions are sweet much like walking onions.

I guess I'm not much of an ..onion connoisseur.. in that I use yellow onion for everything and Vidalia when in season..

Funny thing, in the far north onions were cheap and plentiful.. Vidalia was cheap also for a short season.. My favorite was about a 3/4" slice of Vidalia the size of a soft ball on the grill about 3-5 minutes a side, catsup and black pepper to make its own sammich..

Back