You're lost in the woods...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Okay, so you find yourself lost in the woods a long way from people. Perhaps you were the only survivor of a plane crash. And since I know someone will want to know, we're going to say this is happening in Idaho. You have to chose between the items on the left (A) or the items on the right (B) to help you as you either make your way to civilization or sit and wait to be rescued. Make your choice of both of the packages you would want and whether you will be heading out or staying put.

UC8017.JPG

I can’t see it clearly what is in the upper left hand corner of A, it looks sort of like a fire piston but I have never seen one with holes so I’m sure it isn’t that

It's a fire piston, they aren't holes they are gripping points. They just look like holes when the pic was resized.

Okay, so you find yourself lost in the woods a long way from people. Perhaps you were the only survivor of a plane crash. And since I know someone will want to know, we're going to say this is happening in Idaho. You have to chose between the items on the left (A) or the items on the right (B) to help you as you either make your way to civilization or sit and wait to be rescued. Make your choice of both of the packages you would want and whether you will be heading out or staying put.

View attachment 23367

At my age I just hope the end is quick. But its nice to know for those more able.

I have to assume that both packages also come with a large box of candy bars that are not pictured.:)
Neither package would have what I want but a combination would maybe work. Plus if it was a plane crash there would be debris that I would likely find very useful. I'm leaning to package A if I decide to leave the site or package B if I decide to stay at the crash site. The actual circumstances would make a big difference. Especially the water situation among other things.

Staying at the site during spring and summer (the plane is easier to see than me walking through the woods) but heading out on my own if fall or winter.
I would take group B just for the fine edge on the axe. A shovel would be nice but I can make a shovel with the axe. I also like the fire piston but I can make one of those too. Properly heat treated the paper clips can be used for darts and hooks. I can use aluminum from the plane to make pots and pans, arrow heads and maybe find some chrome-molly frame parts to make a knife and spear point. The axe has a hammer head that can be used to forge the blades. The aluminum tubes and seat fabric will make a nice pack and the seat belts can be used for shoulder straps and hip belt.
Everything you need is right there. Food and water is plentiful as long as you are below the tree line.

I'm sticking with the plane unless there is a well traveled road in sight. B will give me water for a long time, fishing gear, snares, and the plane will provide shelter and signals. First thing I'd do is to make sure the antenna on the EPIRB wasn't broken.

It's a fire piston, they aren't holes they are gripping points. They just look like holes when the pic was resized.
Thanks.you know, I’d never even heard of a fire piston until 5 0r 6 years ago. All of us knew how a Diesel engine worked but no one ever thought of a technology transfer. We could all use ferro rods , flints, magnifying glasses and more but until I stumbled across them on a YouTube sight they were Newton’s. Like a typical bunch of guys we were all agog at this “new” technology so one of the guys made us all one.

But Inn when tshtf we may have to head for the woods. I have one thing on my side I'm a fantastic camper. If I can carry the gear is another thing.:camping:
@Meerkat if you can navigate the cross continental trip and we are not dead or gone you can come to our neck of the woods ...

Thanks.you know, I’d never even heard of a fire piston until 5 0r 6 years ago. All of us knew how a Diesel engine worked but no one ever thought of a technology transfer. We could all use ferro rods , flints, magnifying glasses and more but until I stumbled across them on a YouTube sight they were Newton’s. Like a typical bunch of guys we were all agog at this “new” technology so one of the guys made us all one.

Just a further aside ,he brought them to our morning coffee gathering along with some char cloth. We all tested them in the coffee shop. It didn’t go over well with the staff. We were appropriately chastised, vague ominous threats were made as to what would happen if we did something so stupid again and we were suitably chagrined.

Translated it po’d the staff, they threatened to throw us out on our ears and we apologized, although the whole exchange was more colourful than that and probably more amusing

@Meerkat if you can navigate the cross continental trip and we are not dead or gone you can come to our neck of the woods ...

I would love to see that beautiful place in person. And I'd stay at yalls place too.But I don't think we will ever get that afar from home. I use to have The Crows Nest in Gloucaster since I read the book 'The Perfect Storm ,great book ' on my bucket list but thats pretty much off the list now too.A hug for you and the wife.:huggs::huggs:

As a Commercial Pilot who has crawled out of three airplane crashes in Alaska wilderness (Body unhurt but pride destroyed). We are constantly told to never attempt to walk out, always stay with the plane. It is bigger and easier to see by SAR. Have a filed flight plan, and never ever deviate from that flight plan, without filing an inflight change.

As a kit I would take B. Fire steel would be useful (as would the fire piston in A), as would the hachet and water straw. The string looks like bank or waxed twine and would have many possible uses. Paper clips could be made into very average fish hooks. Super glue a possible first aid item.
If the scenario is a plane crash barring a forest fire started from the crash I would stay on site, or fairly nearby. There will be search aircraft on site before long. Plus, even after a crash, there will be a ton of different materials to salvage. Stuff for shelter, possible maps, maybe even comms still work. Wiring, seat covers, baggage. Like I said ton of materials. Top priorities. make shelter and find water. That'll get you by for a long time.

there will be a ton of different materials to salvage. Stuff for shelter, possible maps, maybe even comms still work. Wiring, seat covers, baggage.

Maybe firearms in the baggage, Aircraft has batteries, can be used for starting fire. Tires can be burned to produce a thick black smoke for signaling to SAR.

I'd go with B and stay at the crash site, a downed plane is easier to spot than a person on the ground.
if I can get the tyres off the wheels, maybe they came off in the crash I can use them as a signal fire along with a load of green wood.

I’d go with A and sort of stay put. I’d rather have something to hold water than a straw, mountains can be dry for miles if you’re forced to move. Might need a shovel for a firebreak also. There are lots of useful items to scavenge from the plane. I’d look for a pool of water if possible. In mountains that usually means rocks, lots of rocks... a spot protected by rocks or a cave would be my choice for a camp. Close to the plane but not necessarily at the site.

Concurrently I’d locate water first… then make fire.

Speaking of fire. Someone wrote it’s easier to spot a plane than a person.

Assuming the ground isn’t covered by snow… It’s far easier to spot a mountain on fire than it is to spot a plane. Honest Mr. Forest Service guy the fire started near one of the engines. Once the spilled fuel caught fire there was nothing I could do but I sure am glad you came to rescue me! ;)

I'd go with b and stay at the crash site.
Locate water.
Bury the dead well away from crash site to deter wild animals and so they won't contaminate water sources. Best to do this early in the piece while you have the strength and energy to do it.
Build a signal fire and do an inventory of salvageable items from the plane.

I would go with B and stay at or near the plane and bury the dead away from the plane. In the meantime I would be scavenging through the plane for blankets, a pillow, water, food and any first aid items or items I could fashion into survival items. If there was no water I would search for it and set up shelter.

The paperclips can be fashioned into fishing hooks, the cord for tying things together for a shelter if needed, for tooth floss, as fishing line for strapping spear heads (from plane parts) onto sticks for hunting, protection or fishing. Axe for cutting firewood, putting together a shelter or protection from critters. Lifestraw would filter a lot of water and you could always make a cup or drinking or eating bowl from plane salvage.

I just have to. I wanted to do this with the island deal too, but thought it wouldn't be okay. But now I have to. Just because I can.

You're lost in the woods... No I am not! I'm sitting on the couch at my house.

Um, Weedy, That must have been a great relief to realize.
:woo hoo:

Latest posts

Back