You're stranded on in island...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
And you can choose one of these kits to survive with. Which one do you choose? Feel free to add your reasoning behind your selection.

2019-08-16_2044.png

I would just slit my wrists. I could not survive with both A & B & C

If forced to choose I would choose "A".

At first I though A, then after thinking about it I went with B.
With B I can build a fire to stay warm, cook over and boil water to drink.
I could make a crude shelter and maybe even trap something to eat.
Now the big question, Ginger or Mary Ann?
If you have to be stranded on an island then Mary Ann without a doubt. :D

It would have to be B.
A without the pot, the water tablets are useless.
Also A without the matches would be a pretty bleak existence. No way to cook anything.
The paracord and tarp would be pretty sweet and save time, but with the axe, you can build a shelter structure that is far better.

And definitely Mary Ann. More likely to help you without worrying about breaking a nail, and 'pretty' is useless if you have nobody to show it off to:D.

Last edited:
A without the pot, the water tablets are useless.
Also A without the matches would be a pretty bleak existence. No way to cook anything.
The paracord and tarp would be pretty sweet and save time, but with the axe, you can build a shelter structure that is far better.

What would you use for fuel for the fire.....??? And what would you use the axe on, to build a shelter.....??? The island may be only solid rock with zero dirt-sand-trees-brush-grass, only rock and ocean water, no water that is not saltwater. The island could be 12 feet wide and 17 feel long, and have no spots that are not sharp jagged points. With no life at all. Just pointy rock, so sharp you can't sit or lay down.....only stand and not move. It might be 64 degrees below zero, and wind fairly steady at 60 MPH and occasional gusting to 107 MPH. Really everything in "A" and "B" could be of no value.

Last edited:
What would you use for fuel for the fire.....??? And what would you use to build a shelter.....???
There must be trees or brush to build a fire and a shelter. since we don't know where the island is there are a lot of unanswered questions. You can hunt and fish with a spear. You can boil the water, there must be fresh water or nothing else matters. With only one bolt the crossbow won't last long until you can carve more bolts. For overnight, A. For long term, B.

if I had to choose i'd probably go with A, i'm not much good with a spear, and I can make lots of snares with paracord as well as other things. I prefer a knife to an axe.

There must be trees or brush to build a fire and a shelter. since we don't know where the island is there are a lot of unanswered questions. You can hunt and fish with a spear. You can boil the water, there must be fresh water or nothing else matters. With only one bolt the crossbow won't last long until you can carve more bolts. For overnight, A. For long term, B.

This is exactly why survival kits are mission specific. Example: my "everyday" first aid kit has three tourniquets, because my greatest risk is Grizzly Bear mauling. All the water here is pure, so I have nothing in my kits to treat or filter water. Mission and location specific.

This is exactly why survival kits are mission specific. Example: my "everyday" first aid kit has three tourniquets, because my greatest risk is Grizzly Bear mauling. All the water here is pure, so I have nothing in my kits to treat or filter water. Mission and location specific.

While I couldn't agree more, and plan accordingly, sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you have to improvise and adapt. And that is really the nature of this exercise (i.e. this post).

I choose B if there are wild beast I could do more damage with the spear and ax. Also the ax could be used to build shelter. The pot could be used to boil water. The trap could catch small game. The matches would be a nice luxury. Could also use the spear to get fish at low tide. Finally the same answer I've been giving since third grade Maryanne.

What is the island like?
If it is a sandbar surrounded by hundreds of miles of water neither kit is much good but kit A might provide netting for fish but you have no way to get fresh water other than a solar still.
If the island was covered with a jungle then kit A has some advantage as long as there is a deposit of clay on the island (not unusual). Kit B has some use too. You can convert the spear into a knife and make more spears with the axe or the knife. You have no cording so you would have to make that to make a bow. With trees or large bushes you can make fish and small game traps. If the climate is cold you are going to need to dig a shelter under ground to protect you from the cold. You can do the same for protection from heat as well. If there are trees and bushes there is fresh water so you can either treat it with tablets or distill it for drinking water. If you want to get rescued you need to build a signal of some kind. Three large fires in a row, that can quickly be lit and burn with both a flame and smoke so it is visible at night or during the day. If you know that land is close then building a boat might be a good idea but you still need a lot of water and food for your trip.

In the right habitat you need very few tools but you need your brain to work.

i would go with B

i am a hatchet guy myself and cared a small one a lot in the wilds. the spear looks like its one of those that the head screws off so it could be a spear and double duty as my knife if need be. the pot for boiling water if need be but most important to cook food in and to catch all the calories from anything cooked and not let calories drip in fire and be lost.matches would be used very sparingly and saved for extreme times.yes being stranded is bad but things can get worse so save the few items you have for next level crisis...they could be deadly.the trap is my least favorite item in this group but in spirit of this 'what if' i would wait till colder weather to start trapping fur-bearers and brain tanning them into pelts for items like blanket and clothing. i am going to assume my clothing i am stranded with will suffice for awhile.

one thing to is my hatchet would be a carpenters hatchet. they have the nail puller...why is that important to pull in hardware out of logs and other washed up debris. the very first thing i would do after finding my water source would be to start my salvage operation of the coastline. gathering every item i could. i would become a true hoarder. in group a of this what if theres paracord but being on island you should have no problem finding cordage galore washing up.fishing lines,ropes,floats etc.after getting water and temp shelter as best i could. i would start using the cordage to make gill nets. getting at least one in water to start catching fish if possible. after getting a few small gillnets going i would try and make a cast net..not sure if i could pull that off.

the one thing i should have on my side when stranded is my modified leatherman core. it would allow me to really craft and invent items for daily use.its got multiple knives in it including a rapala fillet knife blade and a hacksaw blade.other items in it are modified into chisels and chisel knife and awl and more.

Be careful Terri, animal hides carry bacteria that can be very bad for you. The rawhide drinking horns were always coated with wax or shellac.
You also can't use hide pots to cook with.
There is usually clay where there is fresh water so clay pots fired in a good fire will work well.

Hides can be used to heat water or cook a soup like meal by heating clean rocks and swapping them out as they cool. You can even boil water in this method.

Latest posts

Back