1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Weedygarden, Dec 4, 2019 at 7:04 PM.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:04 PM #1

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

timmie, Amish Heart, Sentry18 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:35 PM #2

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Some of the smaller youtube channels that I enjoy are worried that they'll be dumped. Like Grim Survival and Mean Mama's Kitchen. I think the big ones will do ok. Hopefully the smaller ones will start a blog or something.

3. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:41 PM #3

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I do not have a full understanding of the entire issue with the FTC fine of YouTube, but I can tell you that YouTube has a ridiculous amount of sick and vile content targeted directly to children. Even on the YouTube for Kids site/app. Our preteen and younger kids are now banned from YouTube entirely because of the amount of children's videos we have found with extreme sexuality, perversion, cursing, etc. We have even found children's cartoons that were edited to have cursing in them and even when reported to YouTube they did not pull them. So while I am sure there will be unintended consequences and good people might be negatively effected, I am not sad at all that YouTube got their hand slapped.

4. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:47 PM #4

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Our grandkids can't watch youtube. But I enjoy listening to music and prepper stuff while I'm going about my day. There are a few potty mouthed preppers, though, so I don't listen to them.

Sparky_D, Patchouli, timmie and 3 others like this.
  5. Dec 4, 2019 at 8:45 PM #5

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I think most of the issue is that the guidelines of what are affected is so vague.

6. Dec 4, 2019 at 8:51 PM #6

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Lawyers can't even tell people what they can do to protect themselves. Wranglerstar mentioned someone who had lots of good content that was completely removed by YouTube. Many homesteader and prepper types have come to do quite well with YouTube and have no other jobs, so if they get banned, life will greatly change for them.

7. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:15 AM #7

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

Preppers & Homesteaders need to look at alternatives like Full30 and Patreon the same way gun content producers had to a while back. I hate that YouTube has such a monopoly that they can run the content like a totalitarian dictatorship, then in turn use the profits to destroy America.

8. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:19 AM #8

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I have thought for years that an idea like YouTube could be somewhat duplicated by others. They do not have to be the only place where people can share videos. There could be places that focus on different themes, such as guns, homesteading, preparedness, all created by people like any of us.

I do know that there are some that have been signed up on Patreon for a while. I also think that since there have been things that have happened over the years, if it were me, I would have been looking for other options. My guess is that the money has been really good for some people.

Wranglerstar said in his video that YouTube has never made a dime, but has been supported by Google. Well, it is a division of Google.

Sentry18 and Patchouli like this.
  9. Dec 5, 2019 at 10:04 AM #9

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

They fall under this COPPA thing too. It may not be as much of an issue with the pay sites though.

Sentry18 likes this.
  10. Dec 5, 2019 at 12:54 PM #10

HippoTwilight

HippoTwilight

HippoTwilight

Some of the types of videos my wife watches have been talking about this. They get free stuff to review, sponsorships, etc... from major brands. It became a way for companies to indirectly make marketing claims that are illegal in other forms of advertising. Claims like "this skin cream cured my eczema" instead of "look how much better my skin looks after using this cream". The new FTC ruling is suppose to hold content creators to the same standard as regular advertising.

The new FTC rules go beyond YouTube. If an "influencer" likes/shares/retweets a post about a product (on any platform), that person must disclose any relationship they have with the company. I view it as an attempt to clean up the guerilla marketing (Pay for likes) that has taken over social media.

I watch a lot of woodworking videos. Many of them get some form of financial gain for using products and name-dropping in videos. I know this because they mentioned it was "sponsored" by the product's manufacturer. It could be a free/discounted tool, sponsorship money, something else I can't think of...

From what I know about it, I don't have a problem with the FTC ruling. It'll probably clean up a lot of the B.S. adverts across social media. How the individual platforms choose to enforce those rules is a different story.

There's a new platform I've recently learned about called Nebula (https://watchnebula.com), that was created by YouTubers who were being demonetized by YouTube for certain content. It looks like a co-op type arrangement of people who had established channels and are transitioning away from YouTube. One of them is Real Engineering, who moved his war content (strictly engineering related) off YouTube b/c the "violence" got those videos demonetized. (But somehow gamers can still go around "killing" each other and it's entertainment?)
    Another platform is Curiosity Stream. Patreon has already been mentioned.

A lot (all?) of these alternatives cost the viewers a subscription fee, albeit usually small. The problem is that when you subscribe to dozens of channels, and they disperse to different platforms...now you're paying a small fee to a multitude of services. I'll probably pay the small fee one day, but only to one service at a time. Similar to what I do with Netflix, Hulu, etc....
    The funny thing is if Google would advertise their "Premium" channels better, more people might become paying users. Then Google wouldn't need to rely solely on ad revenue that requires a favorable social opinion of the channel. And the content creators wouldn't need to worry about keeping their content "Google Approved" to get the revenue.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    Bacpacker, Sentry18 and Weedygarden like this.