Zannej's Workshop

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

Procrastinator
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I wasn't quite sure what to call the thread, but I wanted to share pictures of my workshop. I's in the barnyard next to the barn. I don't know the size as I've never measured. It needs some work. Better supports for the roof, new roofing, etc. My father and I put up insulation and some sort of cloth against the ceiling to try to insulate. Dad insulated all of the walls, added pegboard,, put in new outlets, put in a medicine cabinet, installed a sink (that just dumped water to outside the workshop). When we first moved in there was an overhang area in sort of an L shape on the side and back of the workshop. We had concrete poured and dad and I put up some plywood as walls. Some of it has deteriorated though. I don't have good pics of the outside area. It's a very cluttered mess. The yard is overgrown with trees and now there is damage to the side closer to the barn. I need to figure out the best way to fix it all (will have to get pics at some point but I'm not going in there during baby copperhead season).

My father was very organized and labeled a lot of stuff. I don't know what all of the tools are or what they do or how to use them. LOL. I also can't reach a lot of stuff without a ladder. Inside the workshop there is a small loft and in the middle of the back wall there is an insulated room. Right now we have a bunch of stuff we plan to install in the house down there.

I did upgrade from the horrible lighting to some LED shop lights. But roof leaks killed at least one of them and some of the lights no longer work. I noticed the outside breaker barks has char marks around it. Not good. I'm not touching it unless the power is off though.

Google earth view. One on the left is the barn. So one on the right is the workshop
mybarn&workshop1.png

View of the barn and workshop
1632371136303.png

Workshop and a little of the yard. Wooden wagon was not ours- guy who owns it took it with him when he left (still owes us yard work or money back).
Fippy, the dog, decided to put his butt in this pic
1632371197293.png

Front of the workshop. Double doors no longer open and the light doesn't work. Some of the trim has been falling off. It desperately needs sanding and fresh paint. Maybe when it gets cooler I can move the ladder over to work on it. Gonna need to have pros do the roof though.
workshopdoortop6-26-2021_1.jpg

Ceiling (the cloth insulation stuff is coming down because the roof leaked)
WSceiling1.jpg

This is just to the left of the door on the south side of the workshop (I think I have the names with directions wrong for filenames) I can't reach the little storage bins
WsNwall1.jpg

Dad loved to put together models of things ranging from cars, planes, and dinosaurs. Many of these have never been opened. The metal tray is a relic from WWII. When a storm cleared some trees on Guam we found a downed US plane from WWII and this was in the rubble.
WSNwall2.jpg
WSNwall2.jpg

I have no idea why there is a horn on the wall. Must have been a souvenir from travels because no one in the family played it.
WSNwall4.jpg

Brown fridge was a gift from a late friend but is no longer plugged in. Used to be for water and cold (non-alcoholic) beverages. You might be able to make out a wooden model ship in the loft. The rackets are from dad used to play racketball. I think the blue machine is some sort of sanding/grinding tool. The part that sticks up moves up and down and spins.
WSNwall3.jpg

Not a great shot. Tropical poster is on the door to the insulated room. The door to the left is going to be put on the guest bathroom. Door frame in the middle is for the exterior door. The door was removed to be painted. I can't reach most of the hanging tools above.
WSSwall1.jpg

More pictures
Over on the north wall there is a chopsaw, more organizing bins I can't reach, peg board, welding mask? Empty storage bins (need to organize them and find lids) and a pile of misc stuff.
WSSwall2.jpg

AC doesn't seem to be working anymore and the wall has water damage. Putting the medicine cabinet there was my idea since it had the framing for it.
WSSwall3.jpg

WSSwall5.jpg

I have no idea what some of the stuff is. I see some old toys- some kind of toy truck.
WSSwall4.jpg

WSWwall4.jpg

This is the west side where the double doors are. They are covered up.
WSWwall2.jpg
WSWwall3.jpg

This is the south side door, interior breaker box, and shelves
WSWwall6.jpg

WSWwall5.jpg

I need to get more pics at some point.

Reminds me of my grandfathers work shop, those old corrugated sheet metal roofs primarily seal by over lapping at the edges, removing the debris on the roof would help the water drain off and might slow down your leaks.

I saw a lot of interesting stuff, 2 band saws, a small drill press, a steel cut-off saw, an air conditioning gauge manifold, based on the hanging welding hood and air hose reel I would bet that there is an arc welder and air-compressor hidden some place in there...

It's sad to think about someone gathering tools and treasures for decades and then when they are gone people just don't realize the value of the things that were important to them...

More pictures
Over on the north wall there is a chopsaw, more organizing bins I can't reach, peg board, welding mask? Empty storage bins (need to organize them and find lids) and a pile of misc stuff.
View attachment 72677

AC doesn't seem to be working anymore and the wall has water damage. Putting the medicine cabinet there was my idea since it had the framing for it.
View attachment 72678
View attachment 72680

I have no idea what some of the stuff is. I see some old toys- some kind of toy truck.
View attachment 72679
View attachment 72684

This is the west side where the double doors are. They are covered up.
View attachment 72681View attachment 72683

This is the south side door, interior breaker box, and shelves
View attachment 72686
View attachment 72685

I need to get more pics at some point.
That "shelf" to the right of the chest of drawers looks like it might have been (& could be again) a great pie safe.

There are band saws? LOL. I don't know WTHeck most of the stuff is. There is a Shopsmith in there somewhere. We had an arc welder that had been given to my father by a friend who expected my dad to outlive him. When my dad died, the old guy's nephew asked if he could have it. So we gave it to him and then he died. No idea who has it now. There's even more stuff outside.

I wish I could ask my dad about the stuff: where he got it, what it was, etc. I know he told me on some of it but after perimenopause kicked my a$$ I have a hard time remembering anything.

The roof is not safe to climb on. It has too steep of a slope. When we had the roof for the house done we also wanted to have the roof on the workshop done but the contractor said he was afraid to send his people up there because it wasn't properly supported and he didn't want them to fall. I managed to climb on the lower part with a more mild slope to mop on Cool Seal, but that was when I only weighed 150lbs and had better balance. Even then, I managed to put my foot through some of the tin. I'm hoping the guy who runs the nicer hardware place in town can get people to reinforce and install new roofing.

I often start to feel overwhelmed when I'm down there because it reminds me just how much I miss my dad. It's part of the reason I don't want to move. If we move we can't take all the stuff and I don't want to part with it. Plus I don't want to leave the place where he died. I'm attached to this place.

There are band saws? LOL. I don't know WTHeck most of the stuff is. There is a Shopsmith in there somewhere. We had an arc welder that had been given to my father by a friend who expected my dad to outlive him. When my dad died, the old guy's nephew asked if he could have it. So we gave it to him and then he died. No idea who has it now. There's even more stuff outside.

I wish I could ask my dad about the stuff: where he got it, what it was, etc. I know he told me on some of it but after perimenopause kicked my a$$ I have a hard time remembering anything.

The roof is not safe to climb on. It has too steep of a slope. When we had the roof for the house done we also wanted to have the roof on the workshop done but the contractor said he was afraid to send his people up there because it wasn't properly supported and he didn't want them to fall. I managed to climb on the lower part with a more mild slope to mop on Cool Seal, but that was when I only weighed 150lbs and had better balance. Even then, I managed to put my foot through some of the tin. I'm hoping the guy who runs the nicer hardware place in town can get people to reinforce and install new roofing.

I often start to feel overwhelmed when I'm down there because it reminds me just how much I miss my dad. It's part of the reason I don't want to move. If we move we can't take all the stuff and I don't want to part with it. Plus I don't want to leave the place where he died. I'm attached to this place.
In your Post #2: Picture #3 the metal cutoff saw is on the far right hand side, in Picture #5 there is a router (sitting upside down) to the left of the drill press, there are 2 band saws along the left wall on with the deck horizontal and one the with deck sloped to about 45 degrees.

I'm not sure what the tool in the center of post #2, picture #4 with the insulation on the top of it, but it looks like there is some sort of rotary table with it... could be interesting....

Latest posts

Back